So lately i've been noticing a weird sound coming from my sg when i play it unplugged, or an open note while plugged. It kinda sounds like a rattling or buzzing, but how would it buzz when i play it unplugged? So i've come down to two explanations. Either I need to change the strings, or I need a new nut, im thinking its mainly the nut. I bought the guitar used and its fine and everything, except for that annoying sound. So what do you think, would it be the nut or the strings, and has anyone had a similar problem like this before?
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
hmm i dont think it is fret buzz, also i forgot to mention it only happens on the low e string, and i noticed it begins to happen in the g string also.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
so i paid close attention to what the ratting was and i think it is fret buzz. It happens on the low e string and while paying close attention i happened to notice that it buzzes when it hits the first fret, so i read the suggestions and raising the action a bit makes total sense, but is it possible to just raise the action on just the low e string and leave the others the way they are? I'm asking because i've never raised the action myself, I usually just take it to the guitar store for them to do it, but I dont have any money right now, so I want to attempt to do it myself. As I mentioned I have an sg, and i know you need to use a flathead screwdriver in order to raise it, but which way would I need to turn it to raise it, clockwise or counterclockwise? And are there anymore things that I need to keep in mind when doing this?
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
ur truss rod the alan key at th top of ur guitar, ur wood is warping and it is getting too close to the strings
Quote by ooochmeballs
ur truss rod the alan key at th top of ur guitar, ur wood is warping and it is getting too close to the strings

wat?
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
so i paid close attention to what the ratting was and i think it is fret buzz. It happens on the low e string and while paying close attention i happened to notice that it buzzes when it hits the first fret, so i read the suggestions and raising the action a bit makes total sense, but is it possible to just raise the action on just the low e string and leave the others the way they are? I'm asking because i've never raised the action myself, I usually just take it to the guitar store for them to do it, but I dont have any money right now, so I want to attempt to do it myself. As I mentioned I have an sg, and i know you need to use a flathead screwdriver in order to raise it, but which way would I need to turn it to raise it, clockwise or counterclockwise? And are there anymore things that I need to keep in mind when doing this?

If it's a lp style tailpiece, then you can just raise the low e side a bit. With a strat, I don't think so, but I'm more than likely wrong. Strat owners?
Quote by irishstang_87
If it's a lp style tailpiece, then you can just raise the low e side a bit. With a strat, I don't think so, but I'm more than likely wrong. Strat owners?

alright, this is a picture of what the bridge looks like. That's not a picture of my guitar, but its exactly like it, I dont have a picture of my bridge, but w/e.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Yeah, you see the screw underneath the post on the low e side of the bridge? Loosen your strings, and you can turn that about a half a turn to the left to raise it a bit. Then retune your guitar, and check if it buzzes. You can adjust it from there. Make sense?
Quote by irishstang_87
Yeah, you see the screw underneath the post on the low e side of the bridge? Loosen your strings, and you can turn that about a half a turn to the left to raise it a bit. Then retune your guitar, and check if it buzzes. You can adjust it from there. Make sense?

yeah, thats what I figured I would do, but I can just adjust that string and not worry about it throwing off the other ones? and also Which way is raising? clockwise or counter clockwise?
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.