I've been considering getting a used valveking 212 recently..
Now before you shoot, I've liked a lot of the things I've heard, I've played it before and I don't think its too bad for the price.

I need something that I can play fairly quietly (house/soundproofed room @ school), but I can still crank for a gig (~1000 person auditorium or so).

At the moment, there's one going for around $450 buy it now on ebay.. is it worth a shot? It's sort of pushing my budget right now..

Anything else better for the price that maintains the power?
For that price you might be able to find something better. If you're lucky you might be able to find a Peavey XXL,XXX which is good for hard rock and metal. But for your budget, the VK might be the best.
i have a valve king hear and personally love it, great cleans, good distortion, throw an overdrive on top and the sky is the limit my friend, only thing to be worried is what shape the tubes are in...if you need new should run you around $100 for pretty good set from tubedepot.com
Quote by supe18
i have a valve king hear and personally love it, great cleans, good distortion, throw an overdrive on top and the sky is the limit my friend, only thing to be worried is what shape the tubes are in...if you need new should run you around $100 for pretty good set from tubedepot.com

+1

Also, if you care about your tone at all please get new speakers, It will make a huge difference. I'm about to put an Eminence Man o War in mine.

Judging by your avatar, you play metal. I got some clips on my profile if you wanna hear it in action.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top