Page 1 of 2
6l6's are going to give a rounder, fatter tone, pronounced in the low end

el34's are brighter, almost chimey, pronounced in the upper mid range and treble frequencies
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
EL34s are middy and british, 6l6s have more bottom end and chime and are more American sounding. In the end the amp decides how everything sounds, the tubes just play a part.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thanks! I'm getting a Bugera 6262 head and I'm changing the tubes as soon as I get it. I mainly play death metal (Death, Morbid Angel, Opeth, Decapitation, Obituary, etc.). Which of these do you think will be best for me (or will either work for death metal)?
Quote by htsktim91989
6l6's are going to give a rounder, fatter tone, pronounced in the low end

el34's are brighter, almost chimey, pronounced in the upper mid range and treble frequencies

I would actually say they're the opposite of that. It's just the british build (orange, marshall) that gives them that bright middy tone.

In amps where you are able to interchange the tubes you can hear what I'm saying. I added EL34's to add more roundness and lower mids to my Mark IV. Same thing with the roadking, you can make it thicker by adding the EL-34's.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by kirkhammett09
Thanks! I'm getting a Bugera 6262 head and I'm changing the tubes as soon as I get it.

Why?

Bugeras come with better tubes than amps 3-4 times their price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm pretty sure Bugera's come with "bugera" tubes. And they are responsible for the majority of the "faulty amp" claims.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Kevin Saale
EL34s are middy and british, 6l6s have more bottom end and chime and are more American sounding. In the end the amp decides how everything sounds, the tubes just play a part.

Exactly. My amp runs on EL34s and it is pretty dark and bassy.
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm pretty sure Bugera's come with "bugera" tubes. And they are responsible for the majority of the "faulty amp" claims.

Bugeras come with TAD power tubes and Shuguang preamp tubes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Exactly. My amp runs on EL34s and it is pretty dark and bassy.
x2. My amp has EL34's and its' darker and thicker sounding than my friends Triple Rec. loaded with 6L6's.

I find the consistant difference between the two is more about feel, than tone.
6L6's seem to be more forgiving and relaxed, while EL34's are less forgiving, very abrupt and in your face.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by MatrixClaw

which are not that great at all. ...Bugera power tubes dont come biased properly mine was off a good bit. the preamp tubes are not that bad, decent if anything.

but they are better then the stock tubes that come in the VK IMO....like i said IMO
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Quote by AndyRevenge
which are not that great at all. ...Bugera power tubes dont come biased properly mine was off a good bit. the preamp tubes are not that bad, decent if anything.

but they are better then the stock tubes that come in the VK IMO....like i said IMO

TAD power tubes are some of the best on the market, as are Shuguang, even though they're cheap. I have Shuguangs in my Nitro and had them in my Mark IV, they sound much better than any JJ, Tung-Sol, etc. I've used.

Just because the bias is off, doesn't mean the tubes suck.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
TAD tubes are effing sweet. i dont know what your smoking.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
its all a matter of opinion guys. we all like what we like.

well the tone of the stock tubes in the amp didnt sound that great at all to me
Sounds alot better and tighter with a tube swap..imo.

i like the JJ tubes you like TAD tubes. its whatever sounds better to you, not which tubes someelse says is better.
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by MatrixClaw

then why doesnt the tubes say they are TAD and Shuguang tubes in the amp? mine sure dont say TAD. Bugera are all they say. and they look nothing like the TAD tubes at a glance

from what the guys at Bugera said they are bascially rebranded Sovteks that they test in there factory before putting them into there amps
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by MatrixClaw
TAD power tubes are some of the best on the market, as are Shuguang, even though they're cheap. I have Shuguangs in my Nitro and had them in my Mark IV, they sound much better than any JJ, Tung-Sol, etc. I've used.

Just because the bias is off, doesn't mean the tubes suck.

I beg to differ
Quote by Horlicks
I beg to differ

+2
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

yeah I just bought a 333xl and im lookin to switch out the tubes for more bottom end.
Bugera 333XL
Epiphone SG
Ibanez Flanger
Shitty casette Recorder
Crate RFX 120

Quote by AndyRevenge
then why doesnt the tubes say they are TAD and Shuguang tubes in the amp? mine sure dont say TAD. Bugera are all they say. and they look nothing like the TAD tubes at a glance

from what the guys at Bugera said they are bascially rebranded Sovteks that they test in there factory before putting them into there amps
I read that too. Something about Bugera only allowing for a 5% success rate? Meaning through tests, 95% of the tubes don't pass quality control? Again, this is what I read on a Bugera ad.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I read that too. Something about Bugera only allowing for a 5% success rate? Meaning through tests, 95% of the tubes don't pass quality control? Again, this is what I read on a Bugera ad.

thats true actually, cause of the quailty of the tubes they use
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by Horlicks
I beg to differ

Agreed.

TADs sound TERRIBLE.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I believe that high gain preamp based amps are less reliant on which poweramp tubes they use than lower gain amps relying on poweramp overdrive. IMO, different tubes are made to break up differently. Although there are some tonal differences while running clean.
These go to eleven...
so lets say i want to have a staind, or the new godsmack tone. what tubes should I put in my 333xl?
Bugera 333XL
Epiphone SG
Ibanez Flanger
Shitty casette Recorder
Crate RFX 120

Quote by blind78
so lets say i want to have a staind, or the new godsmack tone. what tubes should I put in my 333xl?

6l6?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
bugera already comes with those. what kind?
Bugera 333XL
Epiphone SG
Ibanez Flanger
Shitty casette Recorder
Crate RFX 120

Quote by blind78
Bugera already comes with those.
Well keep them.

Edit: The 333xl actually has el34's stock, apparently.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Oct 22, 2008,
To the people saying TAD's sound terrible, keep in mind different tubes compliment different amps.

I've heard TONS of praise for TAD's in darker amps.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
To the people saying TAD's sound terrible, keep in mind different tubes compliment different amps.

I've heard TONS of praise for TAD's in darker amps.

Like those Bugeras huh?
Wait...
from what the guy at Bugera just told me:

I have seen Bugeras leave stock with both Chinese and Russian tubes. From what I have seen about 90% of the time they seem to ship with Russian tubes. Like most large manufactures my guess is that we go with the cheapest bidder at any give time
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

there's nothing wrong with TAD or Shuguang tubes. If there is, you guys better tell Peter Diezel and Reinhold Bogner that they're doing it wrong, since both have used those tubes in their amps stock.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i really dont find anything wrong with them at all, just not my cup of tea so to speak. i perfer the JJ tubes.

bit its all about what tone and range you are looking for.

i was jusyt saying that i do not think that Bugera puts them stock in there amps, my 6262 sure as hell didnt have them in there. they were some cheap chinese stuff in there
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by AndyRevenge
i really dont find anything wrong with them at all, just not my cup of tea so to speak. i perfer the JJ tubes.

bit its all about what tone and range you are looking for.

i was jusyt saying that i do not think that Bugera puts them stock in there amps, my 6262 sure as hell didnt have them in there. they were some cheap chinese stuff in there

yeah, I can't comment on the Bugera, because i have no experience with them. As far as Chinese tubes though, China is rapidly hitting their stride in production capabilities, and imo outpacing the Russian plants in quality control at this point. TAD, Ruby, and Penta are all out of China. Ruby and Penta are both out of the Shuguang factory, just select versions of the regular unlabeled Shugs, tested and relabeled. Not sure where the TAD are produced. I've gone thru a ton of different tubes from all makers this year testing them with different amps. I haven't lost a single Chinese tube, where I've had 4 new Russian tubes from different makers just up and die. 2 Tungsol 12AX7, 1 JJKT77, and 1 JJ 12AX7 all died on me within a month after getting them new. Actually, I had one JJ 12AX7 that was dead out of the box, the other died an early death in a Quick Rod.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would actually say they're the opposite of that. It's just the british build (orange, marshall) that gives them that bright middy tone.

In amps where you are able to interchange the tubes you can hear what I'm saying. I added EL34's to add more roundness and lower mids to my Mark IV. Same thing with the roadking, you can make it thicker by adding the EL-34's.

What? Road kings come equipped with 4 6L6's and 2 EL34's.
Quote by Erock503
yeah, I can't comment on the Bugera, because i have no experience with them. As far as Chinese tubes though, China is rapidly hitting their stride in production capabilities, and imo outpacing the Russian plants in quality control at this point. TAD, Ruby, and Penta are all out of China. Ruby and Penta are both out of the Shuguang factory, just select versions of the regular unlabeled Shugs, tested and relabeled. Not sure where the TAD are produced. I've gone thru a ton of different tubes from all makers this year testing them with different amps. I haven't lost a single Chinese tube, where I've had 4 new Russian tubes from different makers just up and die. 2 Tungsol 12AX7, 1 JJKT77, and 1 JJ 12AX7 all died on me within a month after getting them new. Actually, I had one JJ 12AX7 that was dead out of the box, the other died an early death in a Quick Rod.

i here what you are saying man.
i have used a good number of dif brands as well in my amps and found that JJs and some Mullards work best for me. never had a prob with the JJs though, and never really with the Chinese either. just like the JJs a bit better. no biggie

'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by AndyRevenge
i here what you are saying man.
i have used a good number of dif brands as well in my amps and found that JJs and some Mullards work best for me. never had a prob with the JJs though, and never really with the Chinese either. just like the JJs a bit better. no biggie

yeah, I understand what you are saying too. I like JJ in certain amps, they seem like a darker tube to me, a little smoother sounding, so they work well if you're trying to counteract something imo. I think everything is down to the specific amp, like was mentioned before. I've had a bear of a time with JJ's this year for some reason though, not sure if I've just been unlucky.

amp clips
amp vids
Quote by injected
What? Road kings come equipped with 4 6L6's and 2 EL34's.

this is true. the roadking comes stock with 4 6L6s and 2 EL34s
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Quote by AndyRevenge
this is true. the roadking comes stock with 4 6L6s and 2 EL34s

MESAExplorer has a Series 1, maybe they didn't come with them then?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Uhm no, you can assign the tubes to specific channels, if you add EL34's to the blend then it makes it darker. Can't believe you guys didn't understand what I meant...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Uhm no, you can assign the tubes to specific channels, if you add EL34's to the blend then it makes it darker. Can't believe you guys didn't understand what I meant...

Roadkings make my head hurt
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2