Better shielding, lower capacitance wire, oxygen free copper, more rugged. In the world of cables, you get what you pay for. I suggest live wires. They sound great, are fairly inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. I mistreat mine all the time and I've never had one break.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The difference is that Monster packages the exact same cable differently and sells them for different, yet still ridiculously high prices.

Don't buy Monster cables. They're a waste.

PS: Kevin speaks the truth. LiveWire is the way to go.
length is a major price determinant, the longer the cable, the higher the price

as for other reasons:

cheap cables break easily... you'll be playing and then accidentally step on your cable and suddenly your guitar stops making sound and it can't be fixed. they also let in more "noise" from the background/environment in causing a buzz. cheap cables are only good for a couple months before normal use wears them out

high end cables such as monster ones are more durable, noiseless, and will last a long time
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
just the materials they use to make them.... they say the better they are the better the tone you will get, though unless you are a professional, i doubt you really need to spend that much on a cord
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
monster cables have gold ends which is supposed to help the signal all arrive at the same time.

but cool thing about monster cables is they have a lifetime warranty on them, no matter how you break them. Spend a little more and you'll never have to buy cables again.
Quote by SlashYourFug
The difference is that Monster packages the exact same cable differently and sells them for different, yet still ridiculously high prices.

no dude, I don't know any other cable that has a lifetime warranty on them. I have had my monster cables for almost 3 years never had a problem with them, they never short out or anything. they are worth the extra money.
Those studio pros are actually really nice, but I would never buy monster do to their business practices.

TS if you're looking foir uber high end, then check out mogami and lava cables, if you just need something that works, livewire, planet waves and dimarzio are all good.

Edit: Anything that isn't junk will have a lifetime warranty. While the studios may be nice for high end cables, the monster rock ones and others aren't worth the money. I have personally compared the gold jack monster rock cables against my livewires and can tell no difference.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Better shielding, lower capacitance wire, oxygen free copper, more rugged. In the world of cables, you get what you pay for. I suggest live wires. They sound great, are fairly inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. I mistreat mine all the time and I've never had one break.

livewires are the worst cables i have ever used. I have broken 4 cables, and then finally just decided to buy a monster despite the lifetime guarentee. they are horrible, they unscrew all the time, they break, they are noisy, ect.

don't get livewires, get a low end monster, they have a lifetime guarenttee too, and for like 25 bucks you can get a 15 foot cable
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by sigur_ros6
no dude, I don't know any other cable that has a lifetime warranty on them. I have had my monster cables for almost 3 years never had a problem with them, they never short out or anything. they are worth the extra money.

LiveWires have a lifetime warranty too. They have the gold tips, they have the high-quality build, but they don't have the ridiculous price.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
livewires are the worst cables i have ever used. I have broken 4 cables, and then finally just decided to buy a monster despite the lifetime guarentee. they are horrible, they unscrew all the time, they break, they are noisy, ect.

don't get livewires, get a low end monster, they have a lifetime guarenttee too, and for like 25 bucks you can get a 15 foot cable

I don't know what you're on about, but I've never had any of those problems.
Hey, Kevin, what model Livewires do you use? I need some new cables.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Mogami are really good. However, the first time I plugged in using an Evidence Audio Lyric HG that I paid huge $ for (I figured wtf, I had worked some overtime), I was astounded. Yes, some expensive cables do sound better.

For the most part, you can't beat Mogami, though.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by SlashYourFug

+1
+1

well, I dunno about live wire, I really like my planet waves, I'm not about to buy a different brand.

I gotta disagree with the Mogami recommendation, way worse than monster as far as quality. The cable is flemsy, feels week, the end broke off into a guitar jack. Dimarzio however, great for the money.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I've compared Monster cables to Mogami, Livewire, DiMarzio, etc. and in my opinion there is nothing out there that can match the quality of Monster. They are practically indestructible and sound clearer and crisper than other cables. IMO they are definitely worth the extra money.
I like my Mogami Platinum series. Very quiet and no loss of tone no matter how many or what length.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

I doubt you could intentionally break those 14 gauge Live Wires. Those things are stout.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I've compared Monster cables to Mogami, Livewire, DiMarzio, etc. and in my opinion there is nothing out there that can match the quality of Monster. They are practically indestructible and sound clearer and crisper than other cables. IMO they are definitely worth the extra money.

Try Mogami Platinum. At 144.99, they are pricey, but they are the best guitar cable I have used and I am very very picky. You would not fathom how much I spend on RCAs and speaker wires on my home system and car system. I am almost obsessive when it comes to cable and speaker wire because there is no use having high stuff if you ran crap cable.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
i like my dimarzio cables since they sound good and i can for cheap.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Quote by 996ttcab
You would not fathom how much I spend on RCAs and speaker wires on my home system and car system. I am almost obsessive when it comes to cable and speaker wire because there is no use having high stuff if you ran crap cable.

My little brother has a phD in Physics, and can quite happily explain for hours the reason for expensive cabling sounding better. He is an audiophile if ever there was one, and currently has about $50k in his home theater system. Roughly $10k of that is cables. If he puts cheap cables to any set of speakers, you hear the difference immediately. BTW, Monster cables are not even discussed among true audiophiles.

My wife is considerably younger than I am, and grew up with mp3, while I grew up with vinyl. Even she can hear the difference when I plug in with the Evidence Audio cable. It's that noticeable.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Oct 22, 2008,
+1 If you're wanting true quality monster is complete garbage. Not that they're good in the first place. Such a horrible company.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio