I'm writing a paper comparing and contrasting Elizabeth Proctor and Abigail from Arthur Miller's The Crucible.

For those of you have read or seen the play, can you name any historical figures taht could possibly parallel the two women from the play?
I really want to show my teacher that I know my stuff etc, etc, but I can't seem to find any.

So, thanks in advance guys!
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
Isn't the crucible about McCarthyism? Like it's a parable as to McCarthyism in mid 1900's America. It compares it to the Salem Witch Hunts.

I've never read it, but I remember a few talks I had with teachers about it.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
I'm in New Jersey and we just finished reading it, didn't know other states had the same curriculum. One kid in class compared Abigail to Hitler, seems to make sense.
Lol we even have the same curriculum in australia

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Quote by Bushinarin
Isn't the crucible about McCarthyism? Like it's a parable as to McCarthyism in mid 1900's America. It compares it to the Salem Witch Hunts.

I've never read it, but I remember a few talks I had with teachers about it.

Correct, and I'd like to find key people during the McCarthiestic? phase and use it in my paper.

Quote by Thales
I'm in New Jersey and we just finished reading it, didn't know other states had the same curriculum. One kid in class compared Abigail to Hitler, seems to make sense.

Could work
But I'm looking for people in ^era
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
I would think it would be obvious. Abigail is the girl who thinks she's in love and manipulates people to get her way. Elizabeth would be one of the good guys throughout but she has such doubt in her husband that she won't trust him. Unlike Abigail she tries to own up to her sins and take the blame, sparing John's name. Instead she lies, lots of people die.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm guessing you're a Junior in English 3? We're reading it, too.

Uhh... Well, Elizabeth only ever lied in her life to save her husband, but Abigail lied to everyone to save her ass and weed out some people she didn't like. They're kind of at opposite ends of the spectrum, so work with that.

The Hitler thing does make sense, I'll say. I don't know who really parallels with Elizabeth, though.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I would think it would be obvious. Abigail is the girl who thinks she's in love and manipulates people to get her way. Elizabeth would be one of the good guys throughout but she has such doubt in her husband that she won't trust him. Unlike Abigail she tries to own up to her sins and take the blame, sparing John's name. Instead she lies, lots of people die.

I guess that's going to have to be as specific as I'll get.
Quote by Mauri_wario
Quote by tbsff_7
yep, had to read it last year in TN...right now i cant really remember, but if i remember correctly, elizabeth proctor was like the best person in the play(like good person) and abigail was the person that seems like the perfect child, but in reality was a little devil. so they were like polar opposites, good and bad. also if i remember correctly abigail fled making her extrememly irresponsible, and elizabeth ends up dying because she would not confess she was a witch. (which she wasnt)

i dont know if that part was true, i think i had it confused with her not telling about her husband, i cant remember if elizabeth was killed or not... someone can correct me, or tell me if im right im sure!
Last edited by SunDrop at Oct 21, 2008,
Right, but are there any people in the 1950s that can easily represent Abby and Lizzy?
^^Didn't notice that part in the Wiki article, thanks
Quote by Mauri_wario
Quote by tbsff_7
it compares the Salem Witch Trials to an identical situation dealing with communism, but i'm trying to remember what the name of that organization was which led the witch hunt. it's easy to see Arthur Miller and John Proctor in the same spot, though Miller wasn't held on trial until after the play had been written.

as for the women, i can't think of anything which hasn't been said.
it's about McCarthyism; just give it a search and you'll see the similarities.
Quote by glm
I love you for saying that.

after I said "if the Governator could do it; so can Mr. Colbert"