So I have owned my Schecter Gryphon for three years now. I am very pleased with it so far, but lately have found a change in my playing style. I have heard that the Seymour Duncan Silver Special Hot Rodded Humbucker Set, an SH-2 and SH-4, is a very versatile set that can go from a nice good jazz tone, to a distorted metal tone, with a nice bluesy tone in between.

So my question is: Is this true? I don't want to spend $150 on pickups just to be disappointed and I don't know of any guitars that come with these as the stock pickups. So what do you guys think? Good buy?

I play alot of blues, rock, metal, and ska. I have a Fender Frontman 212R combo amp and a Boss SD-1 super overdrive pedal.

I think these pickups will work well for me, but I want some feedback. Preferably people who have played these pickups, or even better someone who has done this to their Schecter Gryphon.

Thanks and Love to you all
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
New amp first. Pickups later.
You won't notice a difference with that amp.
It is a very versatile set. It can do blues/jazz up to Megadeth (Dave used to use this set, but now uses his active signatures that are based off of the JB/Jazz set).
What do you suggest for an amp?
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I'd suggest starting a new thread including the style of music you play, the volume you usually play at, and your budget.
Quote by Roc8995
New amp first. Pickups later.
You won't notice a difference with that amp.

Well, he would notice a difference, but he would be disappointed that pickups didn't get him where he wanted with his tone. So, yes, the amp does far more for your tone.
That would be a fabulous choice of pickup. My mate just got those exact same pickups installed in his Ibanez RG321 (cheap one), we played that next to my RG1570 (expensive one), and his sounded much better, tried them on a range of amps, and even on this crappy little Randall 40w SS amp, you could notice a clear difference. I reckon you wont be dissapointed, ill probably go for that combo on my guitar once i get some spare cash
RG's & Mesa's
He'll be extrememly disappointed - I'm assuming he wants to improve his sound and pickups aren't going to do much of anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i suggest new amp and then pickups better suited to your style of play.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by steven seagull
He'll be extrememly disappointed - I'm assuming he wants to improve his sound and pickups aren't going to do much of anything.

+1

New amp.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I am more looking for a blues tone that anything. My fender does fine if I plug a different guitar in. I think that the pickups are the biggest problem. They aren't great for blues.
I have done my research. I know it is not my amp. I am very happy with it and it gives me good cleans and good distortion. I am just looking for a change in pickups that will suit blues.
I rarely play metal and if I wanted real heavy distortion I can use my friends Crate halfstack or just get an insane pedal.
But for those of you who still believe that I need a new amp what do you think would suit me best. I would have probably $450. I just want versatility. And this amp does that well and the humbuckers seem to be capable of a variety of sounds and tone.

Last edited by JF-SH1 at Oct 23, 2008,
What kind of research did you do..?

Frontmans are in the lowest tier of amps. They just dont have the open sound of an actual fender. You can change the pickups to the sh2 and the sh4 which are excellent pickups, but due to the amp, the difference would be MARGINAL to you, and not justifiable of it's price.

If you decide to get a new amp, the Peavey classic 30 is in your price range, and you can get one used for as low as $300. It will make a big sound difference.
Quote by e32lover
Or try a rolland cube or vox if your on a budget

Wrong. It will still sound like he has the same pickups. A modeler is designed to emulate tones, not generate them. The pickups are of no relevancy because it will make it sound just like the DSP that's being applied.

You really need a tube amp if you want to get any sort of tweaking options with the pickups and have it noticeable.