Alright lets start off in saying that I am looking to start actually playing the guitar. Right now my little brother has a 200 dollar Jackson guitar that he never plays and i'm sick of the Rockband/ Guitar Hero stuff. I really want to play what I am listening to. I am a left handed guitar player making things sort of difficult. The amp he has right now is too small and it makes it sound like nothing special without the effects. I want a good metal amp with distortion so I can learn to play things such as ATR, Trivium, The Human Abstract, Parkway Drive, ect. Let me know what your inputs are on what I should do with my situation. Thanks!
there are lefty guitars.

im a lefty but i play righty.
uhhm the Line 6 Spider III amp is pretty good.
and i use a Digitech RP90 Pedal.
Well guitar-wise you have 2 options which both have pros and cons:

learn to play right handed.
pros:
--Jacksons are alright
--You save money youd spend on a new guitar
--that money can be used torwards other equipment
cons:
--you'd have to learn to play with a hand your probably not used to

Get a lefty guitar
pros:
--would be more natural playing
--you'd probably learn faster, seeing that you're left handed
cons:
--lefty guitars are more expensive
------see the pros of right handed and make them the opposite here, lol---

as far as pedals, Boss is usually not ungodly expensive, but theyre good for the price.

I hope I helped some
Quote by wilfredoMercado
there are lefty guitars.

im a lefty but i play righty.
uhhm the Line 6 Spider III amp is pretty good.
and i use a Digitech RP90 Pedal.

Ignore what he said about the Spider III amps, stay away from them.

If it's a $200 guitar, it's probably the JS series, which is a great series of beginner guitars.

When I first started playing guitar, playing chords and stuff, I was like "why does the left hand do the hard work and the right hand just strums" but now I play metal I understand why you pick with your right hand. I think you should try learning righty for a bit and if it's uncomfortable get a lefty guitar.
Quote by tigerking615
Ignore what he said about the Spider III amps, stay away from them.

If it's a $200 guitar, it's probably the JS series, which is a great series of beginner guitars.

When I first started playing guitar, playing chords and stuff, I was like "why does the left hand do the hard work and the right hand just strums" but now I play metal I understand why you pick with your right hand. I think you should try learning righty for a bit and if it's uncomfortable get a lefty guitar.

rofl, I used to think the same thing. but yea.

I agree with the whole trying to learn righty thing.
I'll offer some tips on the amp - avoid Marshall MGs and Line 6 Spider IIIs. For metal, you should probably get a Roland Cube. Solid starter amp that will also work as a practice amp later.
I personally would start lefty in your place because eventually you'll have to really work your picking hand wrist in those technical passages and that's much more difficult with your weak hand. However, there is a limited selection of lefty guitars and they often sell for about $50 more for some reason. I'll check and see what's available for leftys that are good starter guitars.
Alright, did some research and found a few starter guitars that come in lefty. ESP has a bunch of inexpensive leftys, have a look here. Schecter's cheapest lefty is the Omen 6 for $350. If you can find one, the Washburn X-30 comes lefty, but it's $400. Ibanez apparently makes a couple of their inexpensive models lefty, but I don't know which ones.
Everything I just mentioned except the Washburn is a basswood body, probably a maple neck and definitely a rosewood fretboard, so not much tonal spread to choose from. The Washburn is alder with maple neck and rosewood fretboard, for what it's worth. So basically everything comes down to quality since this is your first guitar and you're essentially going in blind here.
If you can get it, I would recommend the Washburn. It has Grover tuners so it will stay in tune better than the other guitars, and I prefer alder over basswood. The black finish is on sale at Guitarcenter for $350. No guarantee they have the lefty, but it's worth a shot to check.Here's the link. The Schecter has Schecter's Diamond tuners, which aren't bad, so that would be my next recommendation. ESP would probably be next, the tuners are no-names and so won't do nearly as well as the Grover tuners. Same will be true for the Ibanez leftys in your price range, plus there's a strong chance it's a GAX and thus made of agathis, which is generally regarded as a poor tonewood. Thus, Ibanez goes at the bottom of the list.
Hope that helps. If you have any more questions keep asking in here or feel free to PM me. Good luck!
If you wanted to you could pulll a Hendrix and restring the guitar lefthanded
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Thanks for the help Nightfyre, That defiantly helped me narrow it down. I will look into them and talk to my parents about splitting it 50/50 for christmas. What's a good distortion pedal for metal? I don't want to get something crap because then I won't want to play it haha. Any input?