Page 1 of 2
Brutal.
There is pics in the link.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=651337

Photos of a mammoth spider devouring a bird in a Queensland backyard are sweeping email inboxes — and according to experts, it's all real.

The photos — which are reported to have been taken this week in Atherton, west of Cairns — show the spider clenching its legs around a lifeless bird trapped in a web.

Head spider keeper at the Australian Reptile Park at Gosford on NSW central coast, Joel Shakespeare, said the spider was a Golden Orb Weaver.

"Normally they prey on large insects… it's unusual to see one eating a bird," he told ninemsn.

Mr Shakepeare said he had seen Golden Orb Weaver spiders as big as a human hand but the northern species in tropical areas were known to grow larger.

Queensland Museum identified the bird as a native finch called the Chestnut–breasted Mannikin.

The bird, which appears frozen in an angel-like pose, most likely flew into the web and got caught, according to Mr Shakepeare.

"It wouldn't eat the whole bird," he said.

But the spider would probably prepare a liquid soup with the finch — as it does with insects — and discard of what it doesn't need.

"It uses its venom to break down the bird for eating and what it leaves is a food parcel," he said.

Greg Czechura from Queensland Museum said cases of the Golden Orb Weaver eating small birds were "well known but rare".

"It builds a very strong web," he said.

But he said the spider would not have attacked until the bird weakened.

"They blunder into [the webs] and their feathers get entangled," he said.

"The more they struggle, the more tangled up and exhausted they get and they go into stress."

The Golden Orb Weaver spins a strong web high in protein because it depends on it to capture large insects for food, unlike funnel web and wolf spiders that actively hunt their prey.

Another species of spider called the bird-eating spider does not actually eat birds.

"If a spider gets a bird, it's a very lucky spider," Mr Czechura said.
How sensationalist. Golden Orb Weavers are harmless, and there are far larger spiders out there.
Must be a slow news day.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
OMG..... usually I dont mind spiders but that one really gives me the shakes! I had little muscle spasms just looking at it!
"If a spider gets a bird, it's a very lucky spider."
That's a lucky spider.
YUW YUW YUW!

So? Your xbox got ****ed? I have wet dreams about my dog. The world is in perfect balance.
Close the ports!
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Archeo Avis
How sensationalist. Golden Orb Weavers are harmless, and there are far larger spiders out there.
Must be a slow news day.

you truly are an ass...
Holy crap that's a scary spider...!
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Archeo Avis
Must be a slow news day.

Yeah pretty much.
I was hoping it would be a really big spider though. That spider is big but I was hoping for something really impressive.
As cool as spiders are, that thing is simply terrifying.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
Yeah pretty much.
I was hoping it would be a really big spider though. That spider is big but I was hoping for something really impressive.

That's actually quite a bit bigger than I thought Golden Orb Weavers could get. I hate spiders, but I find them interesting, and I'd really like to encounter one of those in the wild.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
fuck i would cry if i saw one of those in my dorm
Quote by yellowfrizbee
lmao XxGloriousxX is a genius

Quote by Pinky19
You guys fail. Except for you Glorious. You win.

Once again.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
I would shoot them to death yes, but trying to aim for non-leathal, hoping they live.

which one is it Guitarfreak777?
Quote by Archeo Avis
That's actually quite a bit bigger than I thought Golden Orb Weavers could get. I hate spiders, but I find them interesting, and I'd really like to encounter one of those in the wild.

Yeah the Golden orbs (or something very similar) we get around where I am are only about 50mm long usually. The biggest ones we get regularly are huntsmans, usually about the size of the palm of your hand.
That's no spider. That's a headcrab. Courtesy of me. You're welcome.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
wild pidgeotto appeared!
spinarak used poison needle!
it's super effective!
wild pidgeotto faints

Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Wait, aren't birds supposed to eat spiders and other bugs? not the other way around?

DAMMIT MOTHER NATURE WHAT ARE YOU UP TO
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
Quote by SomebodySomeone
wild pidgeotto appeared!
spinarak used poison needle!
it's super effective!
wild pidgeotto faints

Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
I believe those are not actually spiders, iirc.

They're also quite small and non aggressive towards humans. They got a completely undeserved reputation after the infamous picture with the American soldiers.
I want to see, but I'm too scared to click on the link due to my severe arachnophobia.

OH WELL.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

TS, i wana see pics of the spider you were talking about

Common Pit Rule #2) Pics or it didnt happen
Common Pit Rule #1) FAP (of course)
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Quote by xFinnellx

I believe you have failed.
Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
Go on. It's not like it's gonna jump out of the monitor, or is it...

NO!! I'm already flipping a shit because they're saying its big.

I hate my curiousity, but I'm still not clicking. I will take your guys' word for it.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by Doppelgänger
Jesus bejesus. Massive spider is massive.

Doppelganger! OMG YOUR STALKING ME AHHHHHHHH:KEBV:UWEB:IFWEBC)DSHF:KH

BTW, i like your avatar
GAS list...
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Quote by talia.
NO!! I'm already flipping a shit because they're saying its big.

I hate my curiousity, but I'm still not clicking. I will take your guys' word for it.

DON'T FUCKING DO IT!

Quote by xFinnellx

...do you read things before you post? click the link dude. the pics are there.
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
Quote by goest
I believe you have failed.

pleaze explain for i am "08 nub"

-.-
GAS list...
PGM 301
Quote by xFinnellx

Pics of the Huntsman spider?
I dont have any that I took but I'll have a quick look.

Here you go. Sorry for the size, I just pulled it off google.

Quote by xFinnellx
pleaze explain for i am "08 nub"

-.-

There is a link to it...that, and Spamwise just utterly pissed me teh fuckz off!
Page 1 of 2