Well yes and no. If you have a steel string guitar it won't damage your guitar, but it's going to sound like crap. If you have a nylon string guitar and you put steel strings on your guitar, you're likely going to do some serious damage.
So it's completely unrecommended? Like you can tell the guitar wasn't for nylon strings right away when you play it?
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
So it's completely unrecommended? Like you can tell the guitar wasn't for nylon strings right away when you play it?

There are steel string guitars and nylon string guitars. Not a whole lot of middle ground, man.
If you put steel strings on a classical, the tension will do one of two very likely things:
1. Rip the bridge clean off the guitar
2. Snap the neck if the bridge holds.

Neither is good.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Sorry to hijack this thread a little. But out of curiosity, why doesn't any maker make guitars since a body/neck of a classical guitar, but with enough reinforcements to tolerate the tension of steel strings? Every now and again there would be a thread about whether its ok to put steel strings on a classical, so it seems like the market is there. Surely its possible to make a guitar with the shape of a classical but with enough reinforcements to support steel strings right?
bracing patterns on the inside, which is something classicals don't have.

also my guitar is just as small as your average classical. it's called a parlor size or "000" style.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Last edited by about at Oct 22, 2008,
Is there a technical reason why classical's can't have a steel string's bracing pattern though? Does it have something to do with tone? I would think that having a wider fretboard, similar to that of a classical, on steel string acoustics would make it more suitable for finger picking, for those who wants to finger pick on a steel string of course.
Quote by avenger86
Is there a technical reason why classical's can't have a steel string's bracing pattern though? Does it have something to do with tone? I would think that having a wider fretboard, similar to that of a classical, on steel string acoustics would make it more suitable for finger picking, for those who wants to finger pick on a steel string of course.

use your head a little more.

more bracing means more power required to make the wood vibrate. nylons don't have that kind of power. why do you think bridges rip out when you put steels on them
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
yea, I'm saying why not give more bracing so as to allow people to put steel strings on it. I know you can't put steel strings on classicals, but why not give it more bracing and put steel strings on it. Yes, steel string acoustics exists, but the body style and fretboard isn't the same.
I'm just wondering why can't there be more choices.
^-- If you put too heavy bracing on a nylong string guitar, it won't sound good with nylon strings.

as for your other question, there are plenty of guitars like what you are describing. Seagull for one makes guitars with wider fretboards. There are also 000 and 00 body guitars from nearly all manufacturers.
Quote by avenger86
yea, I'm saying why not give more bracing so as to allow people to put steel strings on it. I know you can't put steel strings on classicals, but why not give it more bracing and put steel strings on it. Yes, steel string acoustics exists, but the body style and fretboard isn't the same.
I'm just wondering why can't there be more choices.

now i know quoting myself is obnoxious but...

Quote by about
use your head a little more.

more bracing means more power required to make the wood vibrate. nylons don't have that kind of power. why do you think bridges rip out when you put steels on them
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Nylon strings can't drive a steel string guitars soundboard. It would be a waste of money and a disappointment for you.
If you put steel strings on a classical guitar it will ruin it. Classical guitars arn't meant for the kind of tension that steel strings produce.