there seem to be a lot of things out there like guitar rig 3, and others. They offer different types of cabinet and amp combos and different effects. most come with a pedal and the box you need to connect they guitar to your comp.

anyone have any experiences with recording set ups like these? i have just started to look into them and was wondering if anyone knew whats good, and whats over priced, ect. i have already tried to search and couldnt find exactly the answers i was looking for. thanks
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
i use guitar rig 3 and have had a bit of a look into amplitube 2. guitar rig is good if you don't have and amp, can't record it or need all the effects.

I can't say much for amplitube, i haven't really used it. I found GR3 a bit easier to use and im much more familiar with it.
Quote by NOSPI
i use guitar rig 3 and have had a bit of a look into amplitube 2. guitar rig is good if you don't have and amp, can't record it or need all the effects.

I can't say much for amplitube, i haven't really used it. I found GR3 a bit easier to use and im much more familiar with it.

thanks a lot for your advice. my understanding is i can hook sterio speakers up to the rig somehow so i can play though them as I am also playing through my computer. is this true? also how much does it cost?
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Costs vary... to record you can do it through something as simple as a BOSS ME-50 ($200?) and have a jack to 3/4 input lead ($5?) which would go in the microphone input of your computer. Speakers would be hooked up to your soundcard assuming you have one. Audacity is a nice piece of software which is free. Also check out Line 6's Gearbox, nice software and nice equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavnofingrprnt
well there are only three true people alive today who are actually possesed by satan

Dakota Fanning, the kfc general dude, and my neighbor and all of them dont have much musical ability
yeah to play with guitar rig through speakers you'd just run it through your pc (i don't have the kontrol rig pedal, so i plug my guitar straight into the line in port in my sound card)

you can then just plug your stereo speakers in to your soundcard as you would with your pc speakers
I'd like to find something to record that doesn't have much latency.

I've got a guitarport. Which I like a lot. But I tried it on a copy of Cakewalk that a friend gave me and the latency was unbearable. I've used the sonoma software which is really really cool.

I kinda don't like the Sonoma Software because you always have to put in a plug in drummer. And it always asks for a time signature. I don't always know what time I'm playing in and it ends up being odd.

I'd like to have something where I can get a midi controller and put in my own drums track by track.

SO basically I want to multitrack with drums and eventually bass. All on my pc. Something with midi controllable drum models that sound pretty good.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 Speakers
Assorted Pedals and swag
i've recently upgraded my gear and now use Guitar Rig 3 Kontrol (w/pedal), and for midi control i now use M-Audio's Keyrig 49 which just happens to ship with Ableton Live. Basically, i dont use any of my old gear anymore(in my home studio), not even my guitar amps. It was important for me to hear the actual modeling from GR 3, so i hooked GR 3 (left AND right channels) to a stereo amp(rather than 2 guitar amps), then to 2 JBL 3 way studio monitors..then started having some real fun..As for price, GR 3 Kontrol is about $600, KeyRig 49 is a steal at bout $120 (the included Ableton software sells for about $120) then u need a stereo amp, a couple of speakers, and, obviously, a computer.

ps: Guitar Rig 3 is amazing

good luck!
I use a Line 6 TonePort UX2, most of the recordings in my profile are with it. I recently tried Amplitube 2 and Guitar Rig 3 since a lot of people have been telling me they're so much better than Gearbox (which comes with the TonePort), and I wasn't able to get anything I really liked out of either of them, using them for about 3-4 hours each. I much prefered Gearbox to them.

The TonePort isn't usable as a footswitch though so changing amps and effects is a bit slower, but you can buy a Line 6 POD and use it in the same way with your computer and as a standalone multi-fx pedal through an amp or through headphones.

I did; however, really like Peavey's ReValver. Really awesome program that lets you change every aspect of the amp you're using on it, I might buy this in the future.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't really want to change my guitar rig via the pc anyway. I really like the way that my Guitar Port sounds. If nothing else I find it very passable and more than sufficient for my recordings.

Mainly I'd like to have midi controllable drums and some nice multi track software that's compatible with guitar port.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
Quote by The_rylan
Mainly I'd like to have midi controllable drums and some nice multi track software that's compatible with guitar port.

Cubase SX3 and EZDrummer is what I use.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Crap. I downloaded the demo of Guitar Rig and now my damn guitarport sounds like poop. Kinda lookin' at amplitube. But I think that guitar rig is cheaper. Only thing that I don't like about guitar rig is that I'd have to get a new guitar/ USB interface.

Still after listening to the guitar rig demo. the guitar port just sounds like the same amp re-eq'd over and over. Hahah.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
Yep, guitarport does sound like crap compared to GTR3.

You dont need a usb interface, I plug straight into my soundcard and use asio drivers and get next to no latency (7.2ms), all this on a pc with just 256mb ram.

Great Program
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Is there a thread in here that teaches you everything you need to know to hooking up your guitar into your computer.

And doing set ups like guitar rig, or EZdrummers? or perhaps shoot me a link =) . thanks!
Quote by howangcturtle
Is there a thread in here that teaches you everything you need to know to hooking up your guitar into your computer.

And doing set ups like guitar rig, or EZdrummers? or perhaps shoot me a link =) . thanks!

Try the Riffs and Recordings forum.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
kk thank you, should i be applying?

Im always scared to reply or start a post on UG because there're just soo many people and posts....
Don't be scared. noone is going to harangue you just for posting one time in the wrong thread. If they do, I'm in the wrong community.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
OK so I got riffworks and some new reference monitors. Riffworks comes with amplitube LE.

I've read alot about Amplitube being really hissy when you kick in alot of effects. But we'll see how well it interfaces with my Guitarport.

The main reason for getting Sonoma Riffworks is that I know it interfaces well with the guitarport very little latency.

My question is does anyone know if you can record tracks via EZDrummer into Riffworks? I really need to do some reading.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
Quote by JWBlack
Yep, guitarport does sound like crap compared to GTR3.

You dont need a usb interface, I plug straight into my soundcard and use asio drivers and get next to no latency (7.2ms), all this on a pc with just 256mb ram.

Great Program

What kinda soundcard are you running? I'm using an old Soundblaster.
1988 Epi LP Custom
Peavey Wolfgang Special
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute
PRS SE Soapbar
PRS SE Custom
Jet City JCA20H
VOX lil' Night Train
Assorted Pedals and swag
I don't know if my set-up is any easier.

I run two Condenser mics (or just a regular vocal/instrument mic, depending on the sound I get) into a 2 input mixer, then RCA out into my 1/8" microphone jack in my computer. Select line in, and record into Adobe Audition 1.5. It works really well for me and I get pretty decent sound. That way I can keep the tone from my amp and tweak the mixer to get the sound how I want it. I can add some effects using Adobe Audition, or I can play them in my signal line (guitar to amp) to record them directly.

Just a thought. It's fairly cheap. The mixer was $75CDN, the two mics were $75CDN, and I got the program for free.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way