So i hold the pick like that, and while sitting down, and having my picking hand holding the pick horizontally to the strings, the picking is really great and i have no problems.

When i stand up... because the hand instead of being straight at a "Ready to wank" stance, is on an angel, and so is the pick, right? think of it as the pick being parallel to the thumb, so that when the guitar is at my hip, the pick is verticle to the strings, instead of being horizontal, this is further made worse by letting the neck of the guitar upwards for easier fretting.

So.. how should i hold the pick? the guitar teacher, god bless his soul was just like "just, practice lulz!"
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
There's nothing wrong with picking at an angle to the strings, trying to correct it will mean you will have to push your thumb back into your hand and possibly cause injury.

Practice sitting with your guitar in classical position so it is similar to the way you hold it standing up.

thats my opinion
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Mate.
theres no 'right way to hold a pick...
the way i hold it is almost the same as that pic u got there but my middle, ring and pinky are all out of the way. I hold it the same way for standing and sitting...all i do is twist my wrist a little to make it flat against the strings

EDIT. try using less of the pick too...i mean..use the tip of the pick, not the whole body of it
Quote by Deep*Kick
There's nothing wrong with picking at an angle to the strings

the strings dont ring out properly because it dosent pick properly?

have you tried using a pick completely vertically instead of horizontally to the strings?
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
Quote by emery01
Pull your strap up.

holding the guitar above my waist looks horrible, extremely uncool, im not one to dwell on these type of things, but everyone will ignore the music and just laugh at the ugly kid humiliating himself.
If your picking vertically at 90° to the string, or perpendicular to the string, then there is something wrong with the way your guitar is angled on your strap.

Could you post a pic of how your guitar sits when you stand up with it?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
If your picking vertically at 90° to the string, or perpendicular to the string, then there is something wrong with the way your guitar is angled on your strap.

Could you post a pic of how your guitar sits when you stand up with it?

slightly angeled, but even when it isn't, i still have the same problem.

curl your index finger and hold the pick between it and the thumb, so basically the pick is parallel to the thumb right?

So when your hand reaches lower, your thumb goes verticle, and so does the pick, unlike horizontally when you can hold it horizontally.

I believe im holding the pick wrong, could you post how you hold the pick?
Quote by Epic_chef
holding the guitar above my waist looks horrible, extremely uncool, im not one to dwell on these type of things, but everyone will ignore the music and just laugh at the ugly kid humiliating himself.

Tough shit, either deal with it or accept that you're going to play crap when you stand up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The way I play when standing is my guitar is level with my hip and slighty angled upwards. As for the pick, I actually hold it with 3 fingers (thumb, pointer, middle) I hold it so that my so that my 2 fingers (middle and pointer) are supporting when I press down with my thumb. Easier pick control especially if you not used to playing with 2 fingers (like me). Otherwise you should probably just try different stances and positions when standing up.
Quote by Epic_chef

Worry about looking cool after you master all your songs -.-
Quote by therapture
The way I play when standing is my guitar is level with my hip and slighty angled upwards. As for the pick, I actually hold it with 3 fingers (thumb, pointer, middle) I hold it so that my so that my 2 fingers (middle and pointer) are supporting when I press down with my thumb. Easier pick control especially if you not used to playing with 2 fingers (like me). Otherwise you should probably just try different stances and positions when standing up.

so 3 fingers is the only way to do it? alrighty then...
Nope, I've always used index and thumb and never had a problem.

Your problem isn't how you hold the pick.

Your problem is that your strap is too bloody low
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Epic_chef
so 3 fingers is the only way to do it? alrighty then...

No, the problem is that 1- as Steven said, your strap is too low. and 2 - You haven't played standing up enough, it's a very different thing to playing sitting down and needs to be practiced thoroughly just like playing normally.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.