I've been looking at different telecasters and noticed some real differences between American Deluxe Telecasters and the ones that are made now.

The telecaster featured here , has an absolutely gorgeous flat body. If you google telecaster, the vast majority of teles seem to have a body with curving edges.

Now I know buying a guitar purely for looks is insane, but flat teles are just goregeous. AHHHHHHH~insert moment of drooling worship~! I wanted to know if there are contemporary guitars with this flat feature. Or is it only available on American Deluxe teles. I am seriously considering a telecaster but have not found one for an affordable price. They all seem to be REALLY OLD or expensive reissues. Or they have the lame curve.

Help?
Last edited by littlesparrow51 at Oct 22, 2008,
The curving egdes are so you dont cut your legs/arms up on pointy wood. Really its not a big deal, all teles are flat bodied except for the carved tops, its just a comfort thing.

That tele has body binding, the bindings kinda smooth and plasticy so you dont have to worry about pointy bits of wood in your leg. But really, there isnt too much difference.

Not that noticable unless you get up close and personal
Last edited by beckyjc at Oct 22, 2008,
oh! So the binding gives it the flat look? Are there at home guides on how to put on bindings or should a professional be consulted?

Edit*, my god, that second picture is amazing...
Edit2* I've looked up info on binding, and it seems it's a really complex job that requires a lot of labor. Probably costs way too much, especially after the finishing is applied.

I guess I'll save up for an American deluxe I hope my parents won't kill me.
Last edited by littlesparrow51 at Oct 22, 2008,
Id go for a pro job, you couldnt really screw your guitar over much if youve got the right equipment, but it'd be tough to get it nice and even.

Id more partial to the first tele myself, since it looks exactly like mine (minus the bridge) and am not a fan of sunburst really.
Last edited by beckyjc at Oct 22, 2008,
Actually you're right. I'll ask a pro for a quote. A regular tele + the job itself might be cheaper than a deluxe.

My jaws dropped when I found this one
Theres quite a few japanese teles with body binding, they arent easily available unless you're in japan, but if your in the UK, i believe you can get em imported, if your in the US a look around ebay would get you what you wanted.

Japanese QC generally exceeds USA anyway. Most people would class japanese guitars close, equal to or even better than americans, for half the price because fender japan are a seperate company.

http://cgi.ebay.com/04-FENDER-JAPAN-MIJ-CIJ-Telecaster-Tele-60s-BIGSBY-3TSB_W0QQitemZ110301041356QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/CIJ-Fender-Telecaster-TL62B-Guitar-Japan-Cherry-CLEAN_W0QQitemZ260296038644QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Japan-Aerodyne-Telecaster-Cool-Black-MIJ_W0QQitemZ110301479837QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110301479837&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Oh cool, that last one is almost within my price range. I'll do some homework then. Thanks for the tips!
Quote by littlesparrow51
Actually you're right. I'll ask a pro for a quote. A regular tele + the job itself might be cheaper than a deluxe.

Must... Not... cu... too late
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
You might want to look into a jap 62 reissue. They have the binding you are looking for, and play like a dream. Also pretty affordable, and they go for quite cheap on ebay. You can get em imported, but the shop in the town where im living has one so you can find em. The one I played has a bigsby on it tho, thats the only thing that put me off.
Quote by littlesparrow51

i don't mean to go offtopic, but holy shit, that's a nice looking guitar. i have been GAS-ing for a P90 equipped tele or sg for ages.

EDIT:
Quote by crossy uk
You might want to look into a jap 62 reissue. They have the binding you are looking for, and play like a dream. Also pretty affordable, and they go for quite cheap on ebay. You can get em imported, but the shop in the town where im living has one so you can find em. The one I played has a bigsby on it tho, thats the only thing that put me off.

QFT. Look at my sig. a dream guitar to play.

here's it... i asked my mum to help me buy one while she was in Japan on a business trip. i was so worried that i would get a lemon, but it turned out to be one of the nicest guitars i've ever played in terms of feel and tone.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Last edited by lithium26 at Oct 22, 2008,

my schecter is pretty cool, and not expensive at all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Jenny have you compared your schecter to the 72 tele its based on, i love the look of those teles (the fenders), but holy hell they felt awfull and sounded weak.

The schecters always looked great to me.
well, telecasters weren't initially meant to be used for hard rock.

always thought they felt really nice (at least the japanese and american ones) and sounded ****ing awesome with a blackface amp or on lower drive settings.

my jaguar sounds very "raunchy", and can't really do cleans as well as my telecaster. the jag works better with amp overdrive imo

i guess the main difference between the schecter and the '72 deluxe is the pickups. the '72 has the wide range reissues which supposedly do not sound like the true wide range humbuckers. schecters usually have duncan or duncan designed ones. and i think there are ash '72 teles as well.

jenny, what's the bridge pickup? a mini humbucker? looks like a p90 shaped humbucker...???
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Last edited by lithium26 at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by beckyjc
Jenny have you compared your schecter to the 72 tele its based on, i love the look of those teles (the fenders), but holy hell they felt awfull and sounded weak.

The schecters always looked great to me.

hey,
i owned a fender for a week or so. i hated how it felt. like a plank of wood.
it sounded ok, but i wasnt in love. i like the schecter pups and push pull options better.
dont know if they are better or not. just suit my style.

that one was only ^$475 on sale. but i still sent it back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

wont let me edit:

those are just the HB's came wt the guitar
Schecter PT Fastback 3-Tone Sunburst
Starting as a small custom shop, Schecter has become one of the biggest names in the music industry. The 2008 line is about versatility - Metal to Punk to Texas Blues - made for musicians playing in the smallest clubs to those on a stage in front of thousands. Shecter is a microcosm of what Rock and Roll is and what it should always be.
Features:

* Construction/Scale : Bolt-On/25.5"
* Body : Alder
* Neck/Fingerboard : Maple/Maple
* Frets : 22 Jumbo
* Inlays : Block
* Pickups : Duncan Designed HB-102/FG-101
* Electronics : 2-Vol/2-Tone (tap)/3-way switch
* Bridge : Diamond Hardtail
* Binding : Creme (double-bound body)
* Tuners : Grover
* Hardware : Chrome

i like them. just enough bite. when i split them it sounds really nice. a lot of variation wt that guitar. i can do cleans or i can use it for it's humbuckers.
i think they work because the stock duncans arent too harsh.

and the neck doesnt hit the floor every time i take my hand off the neck, like the fender did.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 22, 2008,
Awesome, somebody agrees with me about the 72s then. I tried the custom out, even with the bridge single coil it didnt even sound like a tele, it was gutting from such a sexy looking guitar.

Hows the neck on the schecter?
i like it. jumbo frets, a little glossy on the back. i was thinking about taking some of the gloss off with a fine abrasive. i like a natural feel.

the block inlays are a little distracting until you get used to them. maybe because they are so dark.

it's a little heavier as compared to my strats, but with the right strap it's not bad.
it's well balanced and i can reach the frets too.
i could not for the life of me play that fender.

but wow, the fender looked so good in white. i really wanted to like it. and if it even sounded right, i still would have kept it. but the pups did nothing for me.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ over here those MIM telecaster custom/deluxes go for the guts of £500... to be honest if i were interested in one i'd try to get a japanese one. i quite liked the MIM one i tried, but there's no way i'd give £500 for one (actually in the shop i tried it in, they were looking for £600... i struggled to keep a straight face to be honest).

is that a gretsch-style pickup in your schecter, jenny?

Quote by littlesparrow51

yeah, that's badass. it probably won't sound exactly like a tele though, because of the p90s (and the bridge pickup isn't mounted on the metal bridge, which isn't really a tele bridge anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by littlesparrow51

i know it's out of theme, but i have a question :

what's the complete name of this cute Tele model?
Quote by garage_kid
i know it's out of theme, but i have a question :

what's the complete name of this cute Tele model?

The site I got this off of says it's a Moon P-90. I'm not too sure as to the exact name. The moon website lists this thing as a custom job, so I think you'll have to specify what you want (BTW 200,000 yen = 2 grand USD (((
Quote by Dave_Mc
^
is that a gretsch-style pickup in your schecter, jenny?

yeah it's a mini humbucker, FG 101, not sure which models have these. i see them from time to time. but almost never any that look like this one. sorry this is a phone shot i just took.

is it better than the first? i cant even tell.

maybe this one under the fan. haha
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 22, 2008,
^ thanks jenny. i think it looks a bit like one of those gretsch minihumbuckers... how does it sound? kind of jangly?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah with the bridge pup split it sounds like an honest single coil to me. ^
something i hardly ever hear with a split full sized hb.

also, it makes the neck pup sound really full in comparison. which i think is why it has so much versatility.

switching over from a split bridge mini bucker to a full sized neck bucker has its advantages.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

aye, that'd be very cool indeed, i know what you mean about humbuckers rarely sounding like real singles, even on the humbuckers which i've tried which do a decent split sound, it's still nowhere near as nice as a real single.

i can do a similar switching thing with my legra (series to parallel) which is cool... shame on my eggle that you can't split the two separately... though i think i'm starting to prefer parallel to split anyway (unless you can find a humbucker which splits well- and i'm not too keen on trying those ones which are like two singles taped together, as i'd assume the humbucker sound isn't as good, and a humbucker sound would be what i'd need more).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?