How far should my pick go after hitting a string. When I alternate pick, my pick tends to go about 1/4 - 1/3 of the distance between the strings. Is that too much?
-When you have eliminated all which is impossible,then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth

-PRS Tremonti SE with SD SH-1 '59 (Neck) and SD Distortion (Bridge)

-Schecter C-1 Elite

-Line 6 PODXT

-Floorboard
There isn't an exact distance to go by - just try to move as little as possible and keep your muscles as relaxed as possible.
agreed..as little movement as possible...im sure it will get better as you practice
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Well, the amount of movement is one thing, and it's important. The key underlying thing here though is control. You need to be able to control the amount the pick is moving so you can get the feel you are looking for. For example, when I'm playing close to my top speed on some alt picked run, the pick moves barely more than the thickness of the pick, but when I'm ending something on a upstroke and want a real snap, sometimes I'll move it literally the distance between several strings.