Page 1 of 2
Read me first.

What are your thoughts on it? I personally think it's a nice change to the threats of eternal anguish for not believing in God that religious factions tend to give you. It's already getting quite a reaction from the religiously inclined on blogs and forums so I suspect they'll try and come back with a larger counter-campaign.

Lots of atheists are mentioning the wording and saying the word "probably" shouldn't be included to make it stronger, but I'd prefer it to stay there otherwise it comes across as though it's being as closed-minded as the religious adverts that get put around. Anyway, I donated £10 to it which is a reasonable amount for me at the moment because I'm a poor student.

It's pretty amusing seeing the donation site. The target was £5,500 and at the time of writing this it's up to over £65,000 on (I think) the 2nd day that it's been available to donate to. The comments can be a laugh too, someone called God donated with the comment "Just to prove I can take criticism."

That's killer. Now we need that to be done in the U.S.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
i love it!
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

good for them.

i wouldnt classify myself as an atheist, but i dont have any problem with them putting their views out there like that. they have just as much right to do it as the religious groups that do the same.
i just wasted half my life looking through all the comments.... wow
Yeah i finally got round to all this, so, what shall i put here?

*insert hillarious ego boosting qoute here*

THE GAME
you just lost it
Quote by dark&broken
You lookin for another civil war?

Your going to war with everything else these days...
I think its a great idea, religious advertisement sickens me at times and the whole thing of Non-Christians spending eternity in hell makes people scared because they don't know really anything else and pressured. Gives 2 sides to the story. Who knows, maybe Hell is so damn nice that Heaven is jealous and they just paint it as a horrible place.
wouldnt probably mean they are agnostic?
anyway im against athiesm as a movement as really thats just one step away from a new theology, atheism is a mindset, not a religion.
and where's this money going to anyway?
Quote by stephen_rettie
wouldnt probably mean they are agnostic?
anyway im against athiesm as a movement as really thats just one step away from a new theology, atheism is a mindset, not a religion.
and where's this money going to anyway?

Atheism is a belief that there is no god, therefore it is a religion as it is based on belief
I don't think the 'probably' should be included either, if you think it should be included then you are not truly atheist.
Quote by JackalUK
Your going to war with everything else these days...

+1
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by JackalUK
Atheism is a belief that there is no god, therefore it is a religion as it is based on belief

Not at all. It doesn't have a set of rules which you're meant to follow. What you've said is the same as saying not believing in the ancient Greek Gods is a religion, and a non-belief in the gods of Norse mythology is a religion too. Unless there are a set of shared values and rules that you must follow to be an atheist it's not a religion.

Edit:

Quote by Thepoison92
I don't think the 'probably' should be included either, if you think it should be included then you are not truly atheist.

Read one of my previous threads. You don't need to think there definitely is no God to be a de facto atheist.
Last edited by Robbie n strat at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by Thepoison92

Yeah I think the ad should be "There is no God, so stop worrying and live your life happily" just as religious ads usually say "Believe in God or ______ will happen to you"
Quote by Thepoison92

You would then be a strong atheist. The worst kind. You should always say "probably."
Last edited by LordBishek at Oct 22, 2008,
That's brilliant, and I love the slogan.
In my opinion this kinda counter to religion preying on peoples fears is way overdue. The world is already wound up enough as it is, so when someone says, 'Stop worrying and enjoy your life' it can only be a good thing.
Quote by Donaldguitar
Waste of money.

Encouraging people to live their life in a new way, possibly making them happier is a waste of money?
Quote by LordBishek
You would then be a strong atheist. The worst kind. You should always say "probably."

Do Christians ever say "Oh, there PROBABLY is a God?"
No.
They say "There IS a God"
Quote by Thepoison92
Do Christians ever say "Oh, there PROBABLY is a God?"
No.
They say "There IS a God"

Should we be as bad in our philosophy as them? Or any other religion?
They also stand in the middle of town at 10pm shouting "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO HELL" at all the drunken students and people enjoying themselves
Quote by The_Foo_Fighter
Not you, you were great.

I mean the advert.

:3

I got that, I was asking about the advert.
Quote by LordBishek
Should we be as bad in our philosophy as them? Or any other religion?

Yes. Yes, we should.
Quote by Jesus H Christ on the donation's page
I'm only here because He sent me to My room =[

haha

I'd donate, but *points to location* Y'know.
Plus the whole 'christian' thing. But it's still hilarious.
Quote by Robbie n strat
Not at all. It doesn't have a set of rules which you're meant to follow. What you've said is the same as saying not believing in the ancient Greek Gods is a religion, and a non-belief in the gods of Norse mythology is a religion too. Unless there are a set of shared values and rules that you must follow to be an atheist it's not a religion.

That's debatable though, sure it doesn't have a set of rules, but in my personal belief its values make it credible. Atheism values various concepts from Philosophy, including Humanism, Self Reliance, Naturalism, Futurism (which is taken from Nihilism). Also one requirement that all Atheists have is...to well not believe in God, so that's a rule right there , just like in Christianity/Catholicism etc. you have to believe in God in order to be one.
Last edited by Eric 666 at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by Thepoison92
It is the only way that works

What, ignorance and stupidity? Well, yeah I guess.

Prove to me God doesn't exist bub.
Page 1 of 2