What would be the best way of going about to getting that vintage 77 punk tone, in terms of amps/pedals? Or could you do fine with any crap amp and a disto pedal? I want to play stuff like Sex Pistols, Clash, Crass, Gen X, Sham 69 and stuff like that. Alot of those bands had shit gear that was either stolen or homemade. What's the best way to go about getting that "sound"?
Shit gear? Alot of them had fantastic gear, especially the Sex Pistols and The Clash.

Lots of treble and sloppy playing. The way you play your guitar is far more important to your tone than alot of people realise.

EDIT: Recording quality is also a factor. If you were to record the same musicians nowadays they would sound alot different.
most of those bands (as far as I know) just used the gear they could find during that time. Alot of silver face fenders (you can get 'em for cheap now) and whatever guitar they had, lots of fenders also. its more about the attitude than the tone though, choose what best suits you. so remember, be a punk, and conform to non-conformity.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
hearing the words "Crass" and "tone" in the same sentence makes me smile...if there is one thing that Crass clearly paid no heed whatsoever to, it was how their records actually sounded.

The way I've found to get the tone you're talking about, really, has more to do w/ playing style and a willingness to abuse my equipment creatively...turning things up to '10,' playing hard as hell, and not worrying much about about the gear involved...my 1st several bands (going back to '80) all involved bad pawnshop guitars, mismatched amp/cab combos, and whatever crappy pedals people happened to have laying around, and while the specific 'tones' involved may not have been readily replicable, they were certainly _very_ punk and suited the music well.
Quote by th3yn3v3rsl33p
hearing the words "Crass" and "tone" in the same sentence makes me smile...if there is one thing that Crass clearly paid no heed whatsoever to, it was how their records actually sounded.

The way I've found to get the tone you're talking about, really, has more to do w/ playing style and a willingness to abuse my equipment creatively...turning things up to '10,' playing hard as hell, and not worrying much about about the gear involved...my 1st several bands (going back to '80) all involved bad pawnshop guitars, mismatched amp/cab combos, and whatever crappy pedals people happened to have laying around, and while the specific 'tones' involved may not have been readily replicable, they were certainly _very_ punk and suited the music well.

So you could realisticaly just turn up to 10 and have any crap disto box and be fine as long as the attitude is there? I'm guessing they didn't use alot of the fancy stuff like chorus pedals or flangers or what not?

Yeah, I love crass, but the guitar tone is so messy and trebely that it makes me wonder what the hell he was useing. I had heard somewhere that all of Crass's gear was either stolen or borrowed. Smashed up guitars at the end of their shows got repaired so they could be played again, ect.
Quote by Bathory fan
So you could realisticaly just turn up to 10 and have any crap disto box and be fine as long as the attitude is there? I'm guessing they didn't use alot of the fancy stuff like chorus pedals or flangers or what not?

Yeah, I love crass, but the guitar tone is so messy and trebely that it makes me wonder what the hell he was useing. I had heard somewhere that all of Crass's gear was either stolen or borrowed. Smashed up guitars at the end of their shows got repaired so they could be played again, ect.

Mm. I think that Crass's stuff was, as you said, pretty much just an amalgam of random "liberated" shit and/or castoffs and/or whatever a broke bunch of anarchists could afford. And I expect the same held true for an awful lot of other bands, at least in the early going.

Most of those "classic" punk records were recorded in - ah, somewhat less than state of the art conditions...ratty Teac 3340 4-tracks, or in cruddy $10/hr eight track studios...and it shows on the recordings. And then there's the whole issue of "mastering" - usually done by an amateur somewhere, if at all, and rec. pressing at third-rate backalley plants that used to advertise in the back of Melody Maker...in the end, the energy and aggression were the only things left to shine through, after any vestiges of tone had been decimated through the process.

But as to what some of the "more professional" bands might have been using at the time...I know that until the late 80s, Ampeg V4s could be had pretty cheap, as well as old Sunns and Traynors and Earth Sound Research ones, and saw plenty of bands using 'em.
you can get a punk sound out of any old amp and distortion pedal. whatever you got now should work fine
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Just go and buy a very high gain amp, set the gain about 11 - 1 o' clock, spike the treble and mids, cut the bass SLIGHTLY and you have a punk tone. Seriously, any high gain amp will work.

Try a dual rectifier or something