I have an Ozark electro acoustic guitar. The pre-amp inside it sounds really nice. Its a small guitar body but i like it.
For a while now, my G string (no cracks please lol) keeps breaking, and sometimes other strings. This happens every couple of weeks. I want to know what u think is wrong, or if i can do anything to fix it? - the strings are breaking between the bridge pins and the saddle (the white thing)- as im looking at the guitar now, u can see the wounded strings slightly unravelling at the moment

(Oh, and the strings get so filthy, but i dont know why?? I use medium Martin phrospher ones, would coated strings help??)

wat i meant here was that when i put my guitar in my hardcase, there is a slight bounce/pressure when closing it, a few mm above is closing shut. Its such a small gap that i cannot see if it is putting pressure on my saddle. Hope that makes sense now

What shall i do??
THanks for the responses
JamesR is offline Reply With Quote
do you drop tune a lot? doing that makes you go through strings faster.

if not then you probably just have a sharp edge somewhere on your tuning peg (if its breaking somewhere up there or down by the bridge).
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
sounds like your saddle has a rough or sharp spot. this may be worsened by your case if it is in fact putting downward pressure on your soundboard.

your strings get filthy because humans have dirty, oily hands. wash your hands before you play and wipe down your strings when you're done
thanks 4 the advice, so shall i sand my saddle and try to fins the rough spots. anything else i should do??
you shouldn't touch anything, go take it to the store. sanding it will mess up your intonation.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Another explanation is your strumming technique may need cleaning up. It may be that too much pressure is applied to the G string specifically during a strum, and that is why it is ALWAYS the same string breaking.
Quote by JamesDR
I have an Ozark electro acoustic guitar. The pre-amp inside it sounds really nice. Its a small guitar body but i like it.
For a while now, my G string (no cracks please lol) keeps breaking, and sometimes other strings. This happens every couple of weeks. I want to know what u think is wrong, or if i can do anything to fix it? - the strings are breaking between the bridge pins and the saddle (the white thing)- as im looking at the guitar now, u can see the wounded strings slightly unravelling at the moment

(Oh, and the strings get so filthy, but i dont know why?? I use medium Martin phrospher ones, would coated strings help??)

wat i meant here was that when i put my guitar in my hardcase, there is a slight bounce/pressure when closing it, a few mm above is closing shut. Its such a small gap that i cannot see if it is putting pressure on my saddle. Hope that makes sense now

What shall i do??
THanks for the responses
JamesR is offline Reply With Quote

Have a look at the fuzzy fabric on the inside of the lid of your case. You should be able to see a clear pattern of what the lid is touching on the guitar when you close it up. If there's a well defined shape of the bridge, but not much else of the guitar, you might want to think about getting a different case.

As for why you're constantly snapping strings, there could be many reasons. The break angle of the strings as they come out of the bridge and head to the saddle is one suspect. If it's severe it'll tend to bend the strings at too much of an angle and cause stress at the bend point. Rough edges on either the bridge or the saddle could also cause it. If you are randomly snapping different strings, I'd be looking at something common to all strings as being the culprit, such as the saddle, or the bridge.