I'm really tempted to buy a six string bass down at my local, but to be more inspired to really go ahead with it, can anyone name me any good six string players? I know some (John Myung, John Patitucci), but other than that nada. Thanks guys!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Adrian Lambert formerly of Dragonforce played one, but John Myung is probably the most well known 6 string player. Make sure you give the 6 string a try before you buy it, also what 6 string is it?
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Actually now i think about it, Billy Sheehan has used one a couple of times in live shows, and i think Tony Levin sometimes uses one as well, but normally he sticks to a 4 string or his Chapman Stick. The bass player from OHM uses a six string too.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
You know i palyed that john myung sig and was overly impressed with it. It was the first six string i played and the nack was really nice and the tone was ok could of been better but i only had it for 10 mins.
Back on track idont know any six string players so cant help you.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by The Progfather
Adrian Lambert formerly of Dragonforce played one, but John Myung is probably the most well known 6 string player. Make sure you give the 6 string a try before you buy it, also what 6 string is it?

It's one of the discontinued Ibanez Prestige's. An SR3006E if I remember rightly. I've tried it out, but only for five minutes. It plays like butter, and sounds fantastic. When I have time I'm gonna go back and try it out properly, and hopefully buy it when I have enough money.
Quote by skater dan0
Well, if you're a Primus fan, then there's the obvious Les Claypool. Also, Steve Bailey does. Plus, I do, so it must be good.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Les Claypool plays a 6 string on several songs. Steve Bailey plays a fretless 6.

Spend some more time playing any 6-string basses you can get your hands on. I bought one when I was in high school just because it was different and I played with a guy that played 7 string guitars, so I wanted some more strings too. Having the 6 ended up really influenced my writing style since I wanted to utilize all the strings.

EDIT: Wow, totally late on BOTH my suggestions... haha
Well if your into Technical death metal than the bass players from Necrophagist and Beneath the Massacre both play 6 strings exclusively. I have a 6, love it to death, I'll probably build another one soon as I finish my current. Lots of range in a 6, great for all kinds of music.
I think the guy from a band called braindrill plays them.
But yeah, Pattituci, Myung, Claypool and Bailey are your main six string players.
There pretty handy to get creative with and the whole less movement thing is pretty handy.
That said, I have started playing my 4 string more haha.
But, I think If I had a better 6 string, I would definatly play that more.
Quote by fleajr_1412
It's one of the discontinued Ibanez Prestige's. An SR3006E if I remember rightly. I've tried it out, but only for five minutes. It plays like butter, and sounds fantastic. When I have time I'm gonna go back and try it out properly, and hopefully buy it when I have enough money.

Ok well i've not played an Ibanez 6 string, but I think 6 string basses are definately a good buy, especially if you like the way it plays, my Yamaha John Myung 6 string is an amazing bass, and now i don't really play the others, the other posts have recommended some other pretty 6 string players too
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Thanks guys. I completely forgot about Claypool, and I'll try to check out some of the other guys you mentioned.
Quote by skater dan0
Anthony Jackson. first 6 stringer ever. well, first BEADGC 6 stringer ever.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Anthony Jackson. first 6 stringer ever. well, first BEADGC 6 stringer ever.
Yeah, my teacher practically jerks off to him. He has his 9000$ signature bass, 6 strings and 28 frets :O.

Stefan Fimmers of Necrophagist no doubt. Adam Nitti is amazing check him out http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SoLqaQmlx1Y
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Last edited by AmpleSteak at Oct 22, 2008,
You shouldn't "bass" your buy on someone who plays a 6 string bass, you should go try one, and see if its right.
Quote by Taygunov
You shouldn't "bass" your buy on someone who plays a 6 string bass, you should go try one, and see if its right.

I'm not. I've tried a six, and I'm going to back to test it thoroughly. I just want a bit of 'inspiration' so I can see what sort of things I could do with a six, and to 'help' me a little bit with my decision.
Quote by skater dan0
Shawn moran of the duo "Fingersmoran". Amazing bassist. He's a lefty, a shop near him built him a custom bass because of the lack of lefty basses.

Also, the dude from Alien Ant Farm uses a sixer.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Trabo
First time ive ever seen adam nitti, and my god is that guy amazing.

indeed. he's like a more versatile Billy Sheehan. I like this guy.

he makes me almost give Daddario's another chance...

nah...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by fleajr_1412
I'm not. I've tried a six, and I'm going to back to test it thoroughly. I just want a bit of 'inspiration' so I can see what sort of things I could do with a six, and to 'help' me a little bit with my decision.

It's "ok" not like i made a "mistake" or anything, and you "weren't" an ass at "all".
I have a Yamaha John Myung (The dual humbucker one). It's quite nice I'd say. I don't know about you guys, but I love the neck on six strings.

To be honest though, I pretty much never use the C string.
Quote by ele1122
I have a Yamaha John Myung (The dual humbucker one). It's quite nice I'd say. I don't know about you guys, but I love the neck on six strings.

To be honest though, I pretty much never use the C string.

Strange, I never seem to use the B string when I'm improvising or jamming.
I never liked Yamaha but I was almost willing to give that one a try.
I like nice fat necks but not bulky like the precision or les paul necks. How does the yamaha compare?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Taygunov
It's "ok" not like i made a "mistake" or anything, and you "weren't" an ass at "all".

There's no need for sarcasm.
Quote by skater dan0
I bought a schecter stilleto studio 6, which i love, in order to play dream theater and primus. I hardly ever play anything by either of those bands. In terms of playing and jamming with my band i dont know how i lived without the C string. People are also really awed and amazed when they see it and playing the really wide neck just makes you feel really good.
You should really play it through and through. I was going to buy a 6-er eventually before i actually went to the store and played it for about an hour a day over a week [maybe a little less] and the neck was just too bulky.
Anyway, what bass are you palnning to get?
A discontinued Ibanez SR3006E Prestige. I have tried it, but only for a few minutes. So I'm hoping to go down during half term and test it rigorously.
Quote by skater dan0
I just made the switch myself (Ibanez 605) and it was kind of overwhelming at first. Once you get used to the size of the neck and the two extra strings (assuming you played a four string to begin with...) then you'll have a ball. Piggy-backing on what MagicFingersJCC said, I also enjoy having the C string. I'd also look into the 605, it has a really fast neck and a three band EQ built into the bass itself. But in the end, play the instrument that YOU like and what feels good to YOU, don't really base your decisions soley off of what famous musician plays what (unless you want to be just like them, in which case having the same gear is good), or what brand name, or what everyone else says... but that's enough from me. Hopefully that helps.
"I'd rather die and be cool than be alive and uncool..."
soo surprised no one said Phil Lesh from Grateful dead. Amazing bassist.
www.myspace.com/thepressmen
Check it out! If you do listen, ignore the bass playing on the songs. I recorded them when i was alot worse then i am now.

Quote by isildurs_bane
This is the pit. People will fight to the death about their favorite colour.