I'm interested in getting a set of EMG active pickups. 81-85 variety. I'd like to know more about the sonic differences between the KFK and ZW variety. It's going into a Les Paul FYI. The KFK comes with a 20db boost, is that really worth it, or is it a novelty? Also, how does that install in a LP? The ZW ones seems to have nearly the same characteristics, how different do they sound? Thanks for the help guys. Play nice. - R
they sound the same, the boost is just for like when you have long cable lengths etc
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
The ZW set is just EMG 81 and 85 with a postcard and guitar pick... why bother?

As for the gain boost in the KK set, I don't know about prices but you're probably better off buying it seperately rather than paying for the name.

And the boost is for pushing the tubes in your amp harder. If you don't have a valve amp, it's pretty much useless, I think...
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
both sets are packaged with novelty items like Pa2(KFK) pickand a card.

the pa2 is not as good as the AB afterburner imo
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Quote by loonyguitarist
The ZW set is just EMG 81 and 85 with a postcard and guitar pick... why bother?

As for the gain boost in the KK set, I don't know about prices but you're probably better off buying it seperately rather than paying for the name.

And the boost is for pushing the tubes in your amp harder. If you don't have a valve amp, it's pretty much useless, I think...

The ZW set is $208 and the 81 and 85 are $105 each so the set is $2 cheaper. Plus if you're putting them in a Les Paul the ZW set comes with a set of long shaft pots and a set of short shaft pots. When you buy them seperately you only get the short shaft pots.

As for the PA2 gain boost in the KFK set it cost $30 by itself. The KFK set only comes with one set of short shaft pots. So if you're putting them in a Les Paul it's best to buy the ZW set and the PA2 booster seperately ($2 cheaper and you don't have to order a set of long shaft pots). I have never used the booster so I don't know if it's worth the extra money or not.
alright, i guess i'll go with the ZW set since I'll need the long ones. Thanks. Still waiting for someone who's used the db booster. Anyone?