I 've always wondered how yall come up with your music and ideas. What I do sometimes when I'm stuck or I want to write something, I play metal for starters, I will either look at a semi barreling down the street, think of a rabid dog, or think of the war in Iraq. Or I will imagine being in a hot rodded car or truck. Sometimes thinking of the firing of a machine gun or a M1a1 Abrams tank or imagining a mean looking biker on a Harley. When I'm really stuck I will listen to some metal. I try not to because at times my riffs or ideas bleed the same sounding riff as what I listen to, but I find, and I think its common, listening to something that influences me is a real motivator. I have been playing drums for 5 years, I used to play guitar before hand and now I am barely seriously getting back to playing guitar now again and I am rusty as an old tricycle. I feel I have lost my touch.
Last edited by Chammy at Oct 22, 2008,
ok
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
Quote by Chammy
I 've always wondered how yall come up with your music and ideas. What I do sometimes when I'm stuck or I want to write something, I play metal for starters, I will either look at a semi barreling down the street, think of a rabid dog, or think of the war in Iraq. Or I will imagine being in a hot rodded car or truck. Sometimes thinking of the firing of a machine gun or a M1a1 Abrams tank or imagining a mean looking biker on a Harley. When I'm really stuck I will listen to some metal. I try not to because at times my riffs or ideas bleed the same sounding riff as what I listen to, but I find, and I think its common, listening to something that influences me is a real motivator. I have been playing drums for 5 years, I used to play guitar before hand and now I am barely seriously getting back to playing guitar now again and I am rusty as an old tricycle. I feel I have lost my touch.

to write a song lyrics wise u have to dig deep into your past and relise you know whats going on in the world and you could dig deep into your past and all thats stuff mert. the subject list is endless. but most of all dont think with ya head use ya heart.

ps metallica rule!!!!!!!!!!!
Fantastic, thanks for telling us all that...

To answer your question though, stop listening to things, pick up your guitar, and just start playing anything, and if it sounds good, there you go.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
Fantastic, thanks for telling us...

was that sarcastic lol?
Quote by gooooog
was that sarcastic lol?

Sorry it posted before I was finished haha, what I meant by it is, you've told us a hell of alot there! So much I had to check back to see what you were asking.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by dancesisidance
Sorry it posted before I was finished haha, what I meant by it is, you've told us a hell of alot there! So much I had to check back to see what you were asking.

i learnt most of that from my idol and hero james hetfield and if you ever listen to nothing else matters ya can really relate to it same with most of there songs listen to all of em all bout different things sum slightly sum widley different.

ie. first 4 albums were very political the last ones excluding death magnetic are very much bout the band members
okay here's the way i write bassline's(i know its not guitar but still)first i will hear a song,one that i have never even played on bass before,and then i will pick up my bass and i'll just start playing a riff,its never in the same scale or even key of the songs that inspired me to make it,because i dont copy the note's or the scale of the song like most people do,instead i listen to the rhythm of the song,the timing of it,and how many notes are played,thats why i can get inspiration from a song but have it sound nothing at all alike,then after i make the bassline i usually try to come up with lyrics,it could be something that happened to me today,or something that happened to me last week or something completely made up even,but my point being is the key to writing any good music is to have a good sense of rhythm,im still practicing rhythm myself too,so dont think that im trying to say that im perfect,im just saying that the best way to write songs is by rhythm,and as far as solo's go,just play in the same key as the bass or rhythm guitar,anyway hope this helps
Yep, I'm from Kentucky all right! yee haw!

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.
Well, the other method that I use, i wish I had a sketch pad type of multitrack like the Korg, the small hand held type ,to lay down some ideas on the fly, specially when I'm in the jon, I hate having to hook up my roland 8track and laptop to record and expesially the laptop, its been a pain in the ass. At times I hear a riff or a song idea then lay it down. Or at least try to remmeber it.