Ok, I haven't actually got a guitar yet. Other threads I have made were either by my gay ass friend, or I was just enquiring.

Anyway, I'm going to the guitar shop, but, when I try them out, I don't want to look like a complete ****...

What I'm trying to say is do you know any songs that are quite easy, but sound somewhat complicated. And by easy I mean really easy. Like Smoke on the water easy.
Give me the song and I'll memorise the tab, or at least the riff.

And by the way, I have played a guitar before, so I'll know how things go and shit.
Don't go to impress.
Go to try.
Find songs that you feel help you find the feel of the guitar.
Hell, just run your hand up and down the neck and feel it that way if you want.
Don't act as if you're going there on the behalf of others.
If you haven't played before, take a guitarist friend with you. You'll never be able to find one you really like if you've no prior experience.
I would recommend either an epiphone of some sort, a mim strat or a squier, or maybe a yamaha as a first guitar.

Do you have an amp?
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
iron man - black sabbath
black sabbath - black sabbath
Disposable Teens - Marilyn Manson
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Joeval
If you haven't played before, take a guitarist friend with you. You'll never be able to find one you really like if you've no prior experience.
I would recommend either an epiphone of some sort, a mim strat or a squier, or maybe a yamaha as a first guitar.

Do you have an amp?

This.

Who gives a flying donkey **** about what others think? Buy the one that feels right to you, practice your ass off, come back and THEN show off!
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
I like to play the blues scale or some pentatonic scales if I'm trying out the string placement, otherwise the 12 bar blues is pretty good for getting an idea about how the guitar sounds.

The intro to Vicarious by Tool is also pretty easy to learn. If you play it slowly without palm muting, it won't sound much like Vicarious but just some generic song.
Try some AC/DC, or perhaps Mob Rules by Black Sabbath. But as other people here are saying, go for the feel of the guitar not because you want to show them your not a complete ****.

If the guitar feels right, buy it. If it doesn't feel right, it won't matter if you play like a guitar god, you'll hate it.
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
dont do a song. do a riff.

and read the "how to choose a guitar" tutorial in the eg sticky.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Man walks into guitar shop and is afraid of looking a D**k infront of people, picks up first guitar and plays it, notices peoples faces don't change - man doesn't pay attention to guitar.

Man walks into guitar shop and heads straight for the guitars tries everyone till he finds one that makes him orgasm, walks away with happy face and shreds the way home.