Page 1 of 2
Hey guys/girls,

I am looking for a good mid priced metal guitar. I went down to my local guitar shop and asked them, but the guy was less than helpful. He pointed me at the wall of Ibanezes and told me anything with EMGs in it. Now I have been playing my roommates old Ibanez RG550, but it just isn't metal enough for me. The Jackson King V and RR3 caught my eye, but I don't know how I will fare without the last 2 frets on the RR. I also took a look at the ESP M series, and their Alexi Laiho models (but only the lowest level guitar is in my price range), and also their Vs. I am not a fan of Dean, their headstocks ruin it for me. Any recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
RR3 Definately
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Get the Rhoads model. I have one, and it's great. They are fast playing, and the pickups are great.
No questions, buy the RR3
alot of that metal sound has more to do with your distortion and your amp than the guitar itself. i play an epi goth sg modded with a dimebucker and a pearly gates boosted through a 20dB preamp and i can make decent metal sounds with just about any amp, however for that really heavy metal edge sound nothing touches a top-of-the-line tube amp cranked near the max. my recommendation would be to skip the emgs unless your looking for a trashy, high treble sound. duncans, dimarzios, and even the higher-end gibson pickups are warmer and will give you greater dynamic range and sound quality. for mid-priced guitars, ibanez is pretty good, esp is not, but my preferance is epiphone, try them out on different amps in the store an see what you like.
Get a guitar with seymours ;]
Dimebuckers work a treat.

I have a RG350EX kicking around with a dimebucker ;]
rather punchy, and heavy :]
Cheap option too (y)
When I started playing i had a fender strat, but then i grew into metal. So i saved up money and got a Jackson WRXT Warrior. At first i was looking at Ibanez's myself but then tried a Jackson and was hooked. EMG's are great but sometimes i prefer Seymour Duncan's . In my opinion EMG's are great for a low tone crushing noise like "Metallica of the Black album". DiMarzio's are good for high powered passive treble like "All That Remains" and the old "Avenged Sevenfold" but not very much distinction when soloing. Seymour Duncan's are like DiMarzio's but much better distinction better lows and highs, "almost sounds active" sounds similar to "Trivium, Unearth, and other thrash metal bands"

So as for the guitar i would stick with Ibanez or Jackson. But for the pick-ups it depends on what style of metal you like to play. I hope this helps!!http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=16818147#
aye, With that guy ^

some other guy, over my shoulder just said to check out the ESP horizon, as it seems a pretty popular metal choice
try the Jackson RR3 or the Jackson Dk2M.

and as for pickups the emg's are a bit sterile sounding to me but the Seymour duncan sound fuller at high volumes.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
The Dk2m looks nice, but the RR3 is pushing the limits of what I can afford. Oh the woes of being a broke college student.
Michael kelly hex deluxe.
Neck through, ebony fretboard, emgs, ofr, 24 frets, all for $670.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Hex-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=515961

EDIT: sorry just saw your post above, it's roughly the same price as the rr3 so i guess it's a bit out of your budget. go for it if you can though, michael kelly guitars are great.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by Kahn89
The Dk2m looks nice, but the RR3 is pushing the limits of what I can afford. Oh the woes of being a broke college student.

They do have a cheaper Rhoads model available. It's certainly not as good, but it does have a super fast neck. It goes for around 300 USD.
Quote by bombsquadjunky
They do have a cheaper Rhoads model available. It's certainly not as good, but it does have a super fast neck. It goes for around 300 USD.

Well that JS30RR does look quite nice, and it would give me enough money left over to buy a good amp. Many thanks.
ESP LTD H 1000 and MH 1000 have dropped in price in American Musical Supply, about 1 k USD. . .. but definitely worth the money if you consider that midpriced, the lower models play fine too, just stay away from the entry levels.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by notsee
but definitely worth the money if you consider that midpriced, the lower models play fine too, just stay away from the entry levels.

Agreed. Their entry levels suck, don't they? I know for a fact that the lowest priced Rhoads model plays about the same as their expensive ones. The only problem I have is the pickups aren't the best, but then again I suppose that's not too expensive of a fix.
Quote by Sleevedace
Get a guitar with seymours ;]
Dimebuckers work a treat.

I have a RG350EX kicking around with a dimebucker ;]
rather punchy, and heavy :]
Cheap option too (y)

Big NO to dimebuckers.

Never get them, they're just a gimmic that exploits a great guitarist's name on a crap pickup. I have one, it's mud on top of mud. Stay away from them. Dimebag never used them.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I'm new to guitars and I'm looking to get a new electric guitar but I know nothing about it. What is it in a guitar that makes it meant for metal?
Quote by Johntubb
I'm new to guitars and I'm looking to get a new electric guitar but I know nothing about it. What is it in a guitar that makes it meant for metal?

Generally speaking, "Metal" guitars tend to have two full octaves (24 Frets, most guitars only have 22), have active pickups, giving you a very sick distortion, and other things like that. They also have super fast playing necks.
No guitar is strictly meant for metal though. There are a lot of "Metal" guitars out there, but really a guitar is a guitar, and you play what you like with the brands that you like. If you look at bands like Iron Maiden, a metal band, they all played Fender's. It's all in preference.
How do you tell if a guitar have ''active pickups''? I was looking at the ESP M-50 , what do you think of it or do you have a guitar you would suggest? My budget is really quite low , something like the M-50. Thanks for replying.
EMG HZ's are passive pickups, I guarantee they aren't putting actives on the M-50
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
all you really need is a humbucker in the bridge although other things come into play with metal that's the only thing that really is necessary.

it would be slightly better if the neck has 22 or even better 24 frets. generally the reason to have less frets is so that the neck pickup can be placed farther back but with high gain the neck pickup isn't used very much so the added frets are a bigger benefit.

it's also preferable for the scale length to be 25.5 as it will give you more string tension with the same gauge strings then you would get on a gibby scale length.

everything else is extremely superfluous and comes down to personal preference. ie the shape, the pickups, the neck profile, the body wood.
Jackson KE2 or Jackson KE3.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
First metal guitar? Guitars are made of wood.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by Brian_C
First metal guitar? Guitars are made of wood.

Haha, I think that deserves a well placed ZING!
Or maybe a HAYO!

Whichever you prefer, I'm not picky
what kind of metal? what's your budget? what's your amp? what country are you in?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I am a huge fan of melodic metal, also Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, that sort of thing. Right now I am about to get a job so my budget will be unlimited, and I am about to go buy a 15 watt practice amp, as I have been playing on my roommates bass amp. :/ I am in the US.
Quote by Kahn89
How are Schecters? Their V caught my eye.

Schecter is a very nice brand with high quality guitars! Their Hellraiser series (including the V) is a collection of high end metal guitars, which all features active EMG pickups and some models comes equipped with an original FloydRose double locking tremolo.... basicly really really nice guitars!

Also, the Schecter Blackjack ATX series are made for metal. They come fresh out of the box with active Seymour Duncan Blackout pickups and some models with original FloydRose tremolos....

Schecter is really good

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Quote by Kahn89
I am a huge fan of melodic metal, also Metallica, Megadeth, Dream Theater, that sort of thing. Right now I am about to get a job so my budget will be unlimited, and I am about to go buy a 15 watt practice amp, as I have been playing on my roommates bass amp. :/ I am in the US.

what do you mean by "melodic metal"? 80s type stuff (say, skid row?)?

I'd seriously reconsider the practice amp to be honest, if your budget is unlimited you could get a badass amp too- running an expensive guitar through a cheapo starter amp is a bit like buying a ferrari and never taking it out of first gear (heck, like never taking it out of the garage!)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
By melodic metal I mean stuff like Children of Bodom. Those Schecters do have my attention. But an amp is the first thing I need right now, I have a guitar for the moment, my roommates 1991 RG550 he is trying to convince me to buy. But I may just hold out for a decent amp. What would you recommend? Marshalls seem to get the most attention, but I have also been told to get a Vox and a Line 6.
The metal sound isn't defined by your guitar. It's pickups, and amp.

I've seen my friend Leramie shred, and make it sound good, on a Squier "Hello Kitty" Stratocaster modded with an OFR, EMGs, run through a Marshall MG2350DFX with an Ibanez TS808 Overdrive pedal.
Which was ridiculous.

Also, if you like Metallica/Megadeth/Children of Bodom, get EMG 81/85 pickups, Kirk Hammett uses them, and I think Dave Mustaine might, or at least, I'm pretty sure he used to (Now he uses Semour Duncan Livewire Active pickups). Alexi Laiho uses passive EMGs, but they're not so good, IMO. Other EMG 81/85 users include Kerry King (Slayer), Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne/Black Label Society), Jeff Hanemann (Slayer), Christian Olde Wolbers (Fear Factory), James Hetfield (Metallica), and Steve Lukather (Toto).
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Oct 25, 2008,
I'm amazing at Metal already, and it's my favorite and first genre.

First off, go Ibanez. And if you have a little more dough, get a Jackson or a Schecter.

I started out with a GAX70 Ibanez GIO with a Black Pickguard and dual Humbuckers. It's a good metal guitar, but I would prefer a Jackson Dinky DK2 if you have the money. If not buy a Diamond Series Schecter.
What makes a Metal guitar?

Fairly high powered pickups but they don't have to be active. The more powerful the pup, the more distortion it will handle but the flip side is that if you wind down the power you get a better quality of tone. Like everything else to do with guitars, it's invariably a compromise. I'd also say you ideally need something with a locking trem but others may disagree with that. 24 frets is also handy but I wouldn't say it's essential. In many ways it's an amp that makes a Metal guitar.

Let's think of the amp first. Tube amps that are cranked will give a lovely tone and can either give high distortion themselves (Engl, Krank etc.) or be boosted with a pedal (Marshall). The drawback with a tube amp is that it's impractical in most cases for home use exactly because it needs to be cranked. If you're playing at home you're better off with solid state, in which case look at either the Peavey Vyper or Roland Cube, both of which are excellent for Metal. Your other option for home use is to use a multi-FX unit like a Vox Tonelab and listen to it through headphones. I find that a very good quality solution.

Now for the guitar. Ibanez are certainly the obvious choice as they do a very wide range of quality instruments at reasonable prices. An RG is their most popular Metal guitar and will do the job very well with excellent necks that are both thin and fast. An RG320DX FM

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=75423

is good value. It has a basswood body, which is often seen as a cheap option but then it's hardly an expensive guitar and the flame maple top will help to bring out the high notes. Plenty people hate the Edge III trem but unless you're giving it major abuse it should be OK. A better alternative would be an RGT42DX.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66779

It's a bit more expensive but you get a thru-neck, the better Edge Pro II bridge and a mahogany body. Mahogany guitars are popular choices as they give a lovely warm, rich tone and offer plenty sustain. Think Gibson who make extensive use of mahogany. A third alternative for Ibanez would be an S-470

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10988

It only has 22 frets but this really is astonishing value as it's very comfortable to play, has a mahogany body and one of the best trem systems you can buy.

Let's say that you're not too keen on those guitars because you prefer a brighter, more cutting sound. In that case I'd look at Jacksons. They tend to use Alder wood and this usually gives a brighter and more cutting tone. Think of Fenders as they use Alder extensively. If that is the case, the RR3 is a fantastic buy and has already been suggested by a few people.

All of these guitars are very good buys but it's down to personal preference from here so you need to try them all yourself and see what you think. Obviously I went with the Ibanez RGT42 but that is just the one that suited me best. Your priorities and tastes may be different, in which case you'll come to a different but equally valid conclusion. I'm sure you'll enjoy any of these guitars.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Page 1 of 2