...I'm kinda scared to tune sharper, because I really don't want my strings to pop. I managed to tune my acoustic to C6, which made me tune the open B to a C, and I was surprised it didn't break. What is the limit I can tune up to before the string will pop? Does it change depending on what string is being tuned, and what gauge it is, and how much? I really don't wanna find out the hard way, lol. I really would like to experiment around with tunings like open A, but tuning the open D to E, and open B to C# kinda scares me.
1950s Reissue Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Gold Top Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Ibanez TS-9
Boss BF-3
Boss DD-6
Wylde Signature Cry Baby
DigiTech Whammy 4
tune guitar a whole step, open tune to preferred tunning then use a capo. this should prevent the strain on the strings.
well for any tunings requiring you to tune a string up i'd recommend dropping that whole tuning by however many steps it would take in order to not have to tune strings up...and then use a capo to get the actual tuning you want

...if that makes any sense.
The highest it should be able to go is probably 3 semitones.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I found I broke a lot of strings when opting for the live tuning of The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin. It requires the 'B' string to go up to a 'D' (E-A-D-A-D-E), as opposed to the album cut, which is a step lower at D-G-C-G-C-D, but requires you to change the tuning on 5 strings instead of 2.
The highest it should be able to go is probably 3 semitones.

+1. I cant recall coming across any tunings that require you to go higher than this.
Bear in mind I've had strings that pop at 2 halves. It depends on how old your strings are, how many tunings they're taken and what gauge. A new heavy gauge should take it.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by 3C071
tune guitar a whole step, open tune to preferred tunning then use a capo. this should prevent the strain on the strings.

Tune down you mean.
Mr Deetag
THE ONE AND ONLY
My friends:
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!
oops,,,sorry ,,,my bad.
"mental note, read all posts duh"
Mr Deetag
THE ONE AND ONLY
My friends:
Marco,thebassmaster,angie-rose morbid death,Bubonic
turinbrakes.dace
DRK HRSE & Leno
ahallicks.wahappen...geesh!
Buy a capo, and tune the higher notes less and use your capo
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
My acoustic is in an alternate tuning atm, A string is tuned to a C. Im not too sure how much the thinner strings could take though
Quote by GlobeBkk
I found I broke a lot of strings when opting for the live tuning of The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin. It requires the 'B' string to go up to a 'D' (E-A-D-A-D-E), as opposed to the album cut, which is a step lower at D-G-C-G-C-D, but requires you to change the tuning on 5 strings instead of 2.

I was just in that tuning a few days ago when I was tuning my e string back I heard this strange clicking like sound scared the heck out of me but it didn't break but I don' think I'll be going in any open tunings for a while I'm kinda scared to
The world is full of Kings and Queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's Heaven and Hell
Quote by Fallen Syn
I was just in that tuning a few days ago when I was tuning my e string back I heard this strange clicking like sound scared the heck out of me but it didn't break but I don' think I'll be going in any open tunings for a while I'm kinda scared to

Have that sound sometimes when changing strings or tuning to a different tuning. Afaik it's pretty normal, just the string 'snapping' into the new tension a bit. Scary sound though, I admit, and probably not good if you hear it a couple of times in a row :P
That strange clicking sound is most likely the string catching against the nut. It's definitely a scary sound.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
does UG have a list of just open tunning songs if not where can i find them please and thank you
^--Not that I know of. It's a very common thread topic though. Just search for 'songs in _______ tuning'
Yes I wouldn't push your guitar strings...it's definitely not pretty. I would consider using a capo. Also, if you are afraid of your strings snapping, I would tune them gradually- don't rush to tune them. Tune a half- whole step at a time and let the strings settle for a day or two. They are only going to stretch so far. For string gauge I wouldn't go past 10. You are asking to mess up your neck after that point.