Okay so I've been playing 4 years, although if you heard me you'd probably think 4 weeks.

I'm trying to completely revamp my practice. I'm slowing everything down and going right to basic's.

So here's my question

Im looking at my alternate picking and wondering why im not getting any faster than 110bpm @ 16th notes.

I notice that after every note my wrist comes "outwards" away from the guitar abit. If I dont do this every time I change string my playing becomes dirty, unclean, or sometimes I just fail.

If economic movements is was I need. How do I find a balance between the 2 so that I can play clean yet fast.

Many thanks

-Corko93

P.S - I wasn't sure wether to post this here or the AT section. I posted here since I guess it's a basic problem.
the way i alternate pick (or tremolo pick, is what it sounds like your asking), is that I turn my pick sideways to the string. It's faster, and it goes well with my style, and doesn't sound unclean. try it!
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by muse-ik
the way i alternate pick (or tremolo pick, is what it sounds like your asking), is that I turn my pick sideways to the string. It's faster, and it goes well with my style, and doesn't sound unclean. try it!

yeah, if you hit it at a bit of an angle it helps...although dont go to far otherwise it sounds bad
Quote by muse-ik

Ahh I dont think I've explained myself very well
take this for example

E ---------5-7-8
B 5-7-8---------

Picking with economic motion alternately makes it difficult for me to change string after picking the 8th fret on a string when following this pattern ^^

What I'm asking is, should my wrist be lifting the pick slightly away from the guitar after every note picked, or do I practice so that I only do this when I change string.
Sorry if this seems like something kinda obvious.
But I haven't really looked at my picking much except for anchoring which i've pretty much beaten now
Quote by Corko93
Okay so I've been playing 4 years, although if you heard me you'd probably think 4 weeks.

I'm trying to completely revamp my practice. I'm slowing everything down and going right to basic's.

So here's my question

Im looking at my alternate picking and wondering why im not getting any faster than 110bpm @ 16th notes.

I notice that after every note my wrist comes "outwards" away from the guitar abit. If I dont do this every time I change string my playing becomes dirty, unclean, or sometimes I just fail.

If economic movements is was I need. How do I find a balance between the 2 so that I can play clean yet fast.

Many thanks

-Corko93

P.S - I wasn't sure wether to post this here or the AT section. I posted here since I guess it's a basic problem.

How is trying to play 16th notes at 110 BPM "slowing everything down"?

For this to work you have to be patient and do things properly, you blatantly can't play that fast so why are you still trying? The whole point of slowing things down is to train yourself to be more controlled and accurate from the ground up and gradually build up your technical ability to the point where you'll be good enough to play faster.

If you're going to slow things down then slow them down, don't just play slow for a few days then wonder why you haven't magically sped up, this is going to take time. Me, I'm baffled as to why people worry about crap like this - you shouldn't obsess over numbers and stats, and least of all speed. The more you worry about a stupid number the bigger an obstacle it becomes and in the big picture it's downright irrelevant. Nobody cares how fast you can play and neither should you...just play music.

If you can't play something then learn it, if something is too hard then practice until it stops being too hard, it really is that simple.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
How is trying to play 16th notes at 110 BPM "slowing everything down"?

For this to work you have to be patient and do things properly, you blatantly can't play that fast so why are you still trying? The whole point of slowing things down is to train yourself to be more controlled and accurate from the ground up and gradually build up your technical ability to the point where you'll be good enough to play faster.

If you're going to slow things down then slow them down, don't just play slow for a few days then wonder why you haven't magically sped up, this is going to take time. Me, I'm baffled as to why people worry about crap like this - you shouldn't obsess over numbers and stats, and least of all speed. The more you worry about a stupid number the bigger an obstacle it becomes and in the big picture it's downright irrelevant. Nobody cares how fast you can play and neither should you...just play music.

If you can't play something then learn it, if something is too hard then practice until it stops being too hard, it really is that simple.

nonono 110 is like my actual top playing speed lol. I'm slowing to like 1/4 notes @ 80 bpm to control technique so that my playing is as economic as possible so that i'll be able to play faster, cleaner, accurately.
Quote by Corko93

nah man i've been playing for 4 years too and i'm just now learning alternate picking.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
Okay so I went away for a while, but I still feel uncomfortable with my picking.
I'l try re-phrasing what I said.

If someone looked down the neck towards my picking hand, should the motion of every note picked be a U shape? Or does the pick only move away from the strings when changing?

I guess this is something that should come naturally, but I just like to questiong things
Quote by muse-ik

This is also how I do it...I hold it more loosely between my index and thumb and sort of hold it so that the side of the pick is hitting the string level with where my thumbnail starts... Kind of hard to explain, just try holding the pick in unconventional ways until you find a way that works for you... there's no formula to it.
It's not the angle of the pick I need to know about, I've got that covered.
Its more the picking motion of my right hand.
I dont have an answer but I think I know what you are asking, as it was something that I was wondering a while back too. These picking motions I am about to use are exaggerated just to get the point across, but is this what you are trying to ask?

Say for example when you pick on 1 string, your alternate picking motion is || big . Yet when you switch strings, if you only rely on the pick with limited movement from the wrist, the pick motion is | | ...a little bigger. Are you asking if you should use the small motion for everything and learn to adjust your hand when you change strings? On the other hand are you also wondering if the 2nd motion (that allows you to cross strings) is the only motion that you should be practicing, even while playing on a single string since you have to do that motion anyways when you go to the next string?

Another way to view this would be to compare playing on 1 string to alternating d/u/d/u back and forth between 2 strings either via inside or outside picking. It is obviously easier to have a tighter motion when playing on just the 1 string. But for the d/u/d/u between the two, either the pick motion will have to be slightly greater or the hand will have to move the pick into place to compensate for the small motion that would only make it past the 1 string.

If this is any better of an explanation of the advice you are trying to find out, then hopefully somebody will be able to help you.
Last edited by jbbbbbbb at Oct 31, 2008,
Quote by Corko93

So here's my question

Many thanks

-Corko93

Great to see you are playing slow, but if you are noticing your wrist moving away slow it down a bit more and try to control it. Keep up the practice and you will get there, just dont give up.

I was once at the same position as you, actually probably at 4 years aswell. I got a good teacher and in the past year and half I have advanced a lot, but it takes practice and commitment. You have to try and knock down any brick walls you come across, you cant just walk through it like a ghost.

Anyway if you need any tips on picking styles go to my profile and check out my blog.

pcechrersthxplx
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Quote by jbbbbbbb
I dont have an answer but I think I know what you are asking, as it was something that I was wondering a while back too. These picking motions I am about to use are exaggerated just to get the point across, but is this what you are trying to ask?

Say for example when you pick on 1 string, your alternate picking motion is || big . Yet when you switch strings, if you only rely on the pick with limited movement from the wrist, the pick motion is | | ...a little bigger. Are you asking if you should use the small motion for everything and learn to adjust your hand when you change strings? On the other hand are you also wondering if the 2nd motion (that allows you to cross strings) is the only motion that you should be practicing, even while playing on a single string since you have to do that motion anyways when you go to the next string?

Another way to view this would be to compare playing on 1 string to alternating d/u/d/u back and forth between 2 strings either via inside or outside picking. It is obviously easier to have a tighter motion when playing on just the 1 string. But for the d/u/d/u between the two, either the pick motion will have to be slightly greater or the hand will have to move the pick into place to compensate for the small motion that would only make it past the 1 string.

If this is any better of an explanation of the advice you are trying to find out, then hopefully somebody will be able to help you.

thats EXACTLY what i'm asking. Thankyou