Poll: Which is the best deal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best deal?
Mesa 100w Dual Rectifier Roadster Head - $1700
8 26%
Mesa 100w Dual Rectifier Solo Head - $1500
5 16%
Mesa 150w Triple Rectifier Solo Head - $1600
6 19%
Mesa 50w Single Rectifier Solo Head w/ 4x12 Cab - $1700
11 35%
Voters: 31.
So, I'm in the market for a used head. Though not financially intelligent on may part, I'm looking specifically right now at used Mesa Heads. Reason being is that the other guitarist in the band I'm playing in is using a Mesa Dual Rec 100W Solo Head (not really that important, I know) plus I've just recently purchased a Mesa Roadster Combo and it's the best amp I've ever played (this is more important ).

So anyway, I'm addicted. So, I decided to see what kind of used Mesa heads I could find. And I came up with the following options.

Mesa 100w Dual Rectifier Roadster Head- $1700
Mesa 100w Dual Rectifier Solo Head - $1500
Mesa 150w Triple Recifier Solo Head - $1600
Mesa 50w Single Rectifier Solo Head w/ 4x12 Cab - $1700

Now, the Single Rec I can possibly buy without the cab fo even cheaper, but I'm not sure if it quite has the "oomph" I'm looking for. So, which is the best deal? What are each of these really worth used? Which would make the most economic sense? Which has the best price/performance trade-off? Which one would YOU go for? Be sure to vote.

I was also considering a used Peavey XXX head that I found for $750 (much more affordable). But I'm afraid in comparison to the other guitarists Dual Rec that the XXX will sound "too thin". Any with experience with the XXX have any advice on this? Would it be a good match for a Mesa Dual Rec? Is it actually worth $750?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

EDIT: All prices are CAD$ as I live in Canada.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Oct 23, 2008,
well $750 even sounds too much for a XXX head.

check the Gear Ads, i think i saw someone selling one for $550

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
All of those prices are pretty high.

I see Dual and Triple Rectos all the time in the $1100-$1300 range, Solo Rectos in the $800-1100 range.

The Roadster isn't a bad deal, but nothing great, seen a few lately for ~$1500.

Price on the XXX is high too, there's been a bunch for sale on Harmony-Central lately in the ~$500 range.

You already said you have a Roadster combo though, why do you need another Recto type amp?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dude, honestly. First of all, all of those prices are pretty high, considering it's all used equipment. I got my Mesa head for 850, and cab for 550 (shipped!!, good luck finding that deal!)

Second, if you're not headlining arena shows, for god sakes, get a 50 watt tube amp. You're gunna have so much un-used power with a higher wattage amp you're going to HAVE to buy an attenuator to get a good cranked tone.

Third, I'm taking from your amp choices you're going to play hard rock and metal, and I have a 55 watt Nomad, and I had to play a 100 watt dual recto at a show that provided a backline. I was pretty stoked, I wanted to see what it sounded like, but halfway through the set I wanted my amp back. It didn't have much depth, and god, the cleans were awful.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
I'm surprised at those prices too, i got mine for £500 ($1k) with a flightcase.... and mesa is very very expensive over here....
All over kill. All you need is a single rec 50-watt Rectoverb 1X12 combo.

Good at lower practice volumes, but you can actually push it to 4 or so on louder gigs to get some power tube gain in there. The other are too much to ever get pushed like that. For anything louder than a Rectoverb gets, you'll be micing it anyway to mix the band. Guys tour professionally with combo amps and small ones since it's easier to get a better tone out of them. Unless you have a roadie, 4x12 cabs are just stupid to haul around, up and down stairs, etc. I laugh at guys with those all the time. Sad.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
spend an extra 300 and get a diezel herbert. recently upgraded from a dual rectifier solo head to the herbert and the tone is mind blowing. don't regret one bit.
I forgot to mention that I live in Canada and these are all local so they are priced in CAD$. Not sure if that really makes a huge difference though.

Quote by MatrixClaw
You already said you have a Roadster combo though, why do you need another Recto type amp?

I don't really "need", I just want. I love the Mesas... The band I'm playing with right now has a jam space LOADED with gear designed for excessive volume (we usually jam at gig levels or louder). The other guitarist is running a Mesa Dual Rec Solo Head through two Marshall 4x12 cabs (not exactly sure what everyone else is hooked up to, but it's ****ing LOUD). Essentially I just need something to keep up. My Roadster combo does a pretty good job as long as I hook up another 4x12 to it, but its not convenient. Lugging the Combo back and forth to jams is a pain in the ass. Plus, we have a gig coming up (and likely more to follow). So lugging a small head around is a lot easier than trying to move that combo.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Oct 23, 2008,
Quote by jcp42877
well $750 even sounds too much for a XXX head.

My bad. Upon second look it's actually a 5150 that's listed at $750. The XXX is listed as "best offer". So, any suggestions on what a good offer would be for a XXX?
Quote by Erkekjetter
I don't really "need", I just want. I love the Mesas...

Well I know you don't "need" it, I'm just wondering why you want an amp that sounds pretty much like the exact same thing. Go for a Mark or Stiletto series or something if you want another Mesa, would be a sick combo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well I know you don't "need" it, I'm just wondering why you want an amp that sounds pretty much like the exact same thing. Go for a Mark or Stiletto series or something if you want another Mesa, would be a sick combo.

Can't get Marks around my neck of the woods unfortunately and Stilettos are too british-voiced for what I'll be playing with it. I need something brutal heavy. Rectos fit that bill pretty well, and they're readily available. Besides, when I play my Roadster along with the other guitarists Dual Rec, they definitely have distinct differences.

Anyway, doesn't really matter to me if it soudns the same as something I already have really. I just need the head as a secondary amp that I can leave a the jam space to avoid lugging equipment around everywhere I go.

Just found a LOT of used Mesa heads at a local music store yesterday actually (they got a bunch of Dual Recs, a Triple Rec, a Roadster, and a Road King). Good thing about these ones is that I can actually finance them. They also offer straight up rentals too. Or I could also do a rent-to-own thing as well if I really wanted. I think I might go this route. I can rent a head on monthly basis and if I rent it long enough I'll just be able to keep it. And if not I can just give it back when I'm done with it and NOT have spent nearly 2 grand on another amp that I don't really "need".
but....it's quite boring you both have the same amp, actually. It will just sound layered. It'll sound cooler if you have different rigs, so you can complement each other. Sort of like Judas priest, where KK had a very piercing tone where Glenn had a warmer, bassier sound.

I'd go for an Engl or something. should sound nice with the Mesa
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
but....it's quite boring you both have the same amp, actually. It will just sound layered. It'll sound cooler if you have different rigs, so you can complement each other. Sort of like Judas priest, where KK had a very piercing tone where Glenn had a warmer, bassier sound.

Exactly, that's why I recommended the Stiletto or Mark series if he wants to stay with Mesa, the Stiletto would sound sick with a Roadster, filling in the parts where the Roadster lacks and just making it sound more full. Another Recto might sound a bit different, but ultimately it's going to be the same tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The 5150 is priced average, not too high and not too low.
+1 to a non-Recto voiced amp though. I've heard people getting good results with the 5150 + Recto, although nowadays it's probably the standard in the metal/metalcore scene.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by bjoern_swe
but....it's quite boring you both have the same amp, actually. It will just sound layered.

That would be true if we dialed in our EQs identically, but I definitely wouldn't do that. You can get a very wide range of tone from a Recto. Two of the exact same amp can sound very different from one another if you want them to be.

Quote by bjoern_swe

Trust me, if I could find a used Powerball or Invader (or any ENGL for that matter) I'd jump on it in a second. Unfortunately the only ENGLs available to me are new, which I just can't afford right now. I gotta go used. Really, the only heads I can really get right now are the ones I've listed. I could possibly get a used Marshall TSL 100, but I'm not really a fan of the tone it gives me.

I don't WANT to have EXACTLY the same amp as the other guitarist, just something comparable. And unfortunately (well, not to me since I love them but...) the only amps I can get at the moment that are comparable are rectos.

I might look into that 5150 though. I'll see if I can try one out when I go to the store today and see what I can get from it.
Stiletto too British voiced for your style?

Here's my Mesa Boogie Stiletto running into a mesa traditional 4x12....NOS RFT 12ax7 in V1, and PRS Singlecut with Suhr Aldrich pickups going straight in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPcuFHvSRf0

Tell me that's "too british" for you

You really shouldn't throw out choices before you give them a chance.

Getting another recto when you own a roadster is just a waste...if anything, the roadster is better than the regular recto. Not to mention all the ones you found are a bit overpriced.

Consider the Stiletto...the make a SICK stereo rig.
While I admit that LoG riffafe did sound pretty killer on that amp, the general tone still didn't have enough "punch" for me.

In all honesty though, if the Stilletto were an option I'd probably give it a chance and then possibly get an EQ or boost pedal to give it that extra edge that I was looking for. But, as I said, I gotta go used. And I can't get any used Stilletos around here. My options are sadly quite limited.