So I picked up guitar prooobably about 2 years ago, on and off. I never took lessons or anything like that, just played for the joy of playing (random tabs of songs that I liked). But recently I decided to get serious and so I really want to learn everything from the very basics (Theory, proper technique, the whole nine yards) where should I start? I considered getting lessons but being a poor student thats a pretty large economic commitment. I consider myself a pretty fast learner so I figure I may be able to teach it to myself? I've been reading those stickys and picking up things (i.e. proper tuning techniques) where else should I look? All response welcom.

Cheers,
Alex
Quote by a_tran
So I picked up guitar prooobably about 2 years ago, on and off. I never took lessons or anything like that, just played for the joy of playing (random tabs of songs that I liked). But recently I decided to get serious and so I really want to learn everything from the very basics (Theory, proper technique, the whole nine yards) where should I start? I considered getting lessons but being a poor student thats a pretty large economic commitment. I consider myself a pretty fast learner so I figure I may be able to teach it to myself? I've been reading those stickys and picking up things (i.e. proper tuning techniques) where else should I look? All response welcom.

Cheers,
Alex

For theory you should start by learning the notes of the fretboard and the move on to the "The Crusade" series of acticles by Josh Urban: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns

For technique there are any number of good lessons on this website and there's also the Advanced Techniques forum if you have any questions. If you have questions about theory go to the Musician Talk forum, not AT.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.