Alright, so here's my dilemma.

I just found out that we have a decent sized jazz gig in the Highschool auditorium in two hours. I usually have gotten by fine playing our little gigs with my Valve Junior, without even taking an extra cabinet.

Now, however, I am worried. It's a pretty big crowd, and while we aren't the main event, I'd think it'd be a good idea to use an amp that, well, has a speaker that isn't 8 inches. I have a B-52 4x12 cabinet that I use at home. I also (unfortunately) have a Spider II in the back room that I've been ignoring as long as possible.

Anyway, I don't have much experience with which would be the best. I know that the 4x12 doesn't make my amp all too much louder, but it's way better than just using the combo. My other option is to use the dreaded Spider II (which is 75 watts).

Basically,
HALP?!

(Also, if anyone knows any dirt cheap tube heads that would prevent this situation in the future, go ahead and start naming! I don't have much money at the moment unfortunately.)

EDIT: And the other thing I'm worried about is the Valve Junior breaking up too much at such high volumes. I figured I would just take it careful and also roll off the volume knob on my guitar a bit, because that seems to be a quick (though not too great) fix. Thoughts?
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Last edited by rafarquhar at Oct 22, 2008,
Bring everything and test it there. If that's not an option I would use the Spider if I wasn't using distortion, otherwise I would use the Vale Junior.
Do you need high volume clean tone? If so, I hate to say this, the spider might be your best bet.
Do they not have mics?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Is it just a jazz band like you and a few other people, or is it a school band?
either way, just see if you can get your amp next to a mic or something.
the 4x12 isnt really necessary either, itll just be a pain in the ass to haul around since youre just in the gym/auditorium or w/e.
that and im sure your school's music department has at the very least some old peavey cab laying around or somthing in storage that the schools music director will more than likely agree to lend you if you ask them.

as for heads, why not check out like a classic 30 or somthing of that sort?
Quote by CORT noob
Sex her, take the guitar, then sex her mom and have her walk in on you. Then, mom is happy, she doesn't want to be your friend anymore, and you keep the geetar. It's a win win for America!
Quote by loonyguitarist
Do they not have mics?

Actually, no.

I'm trying to avoid taking my Spider, but I will if need be.
If it helps to know, my tone can be a little dirty.

I know it's hard to compare, but I have my VJ cranked in house right now at about the volume that we practice at. I think I could get away with it.

An example of one of a really short set list for us would be:
Gospel John, Green Onions, Birdland, and (for some reason) Secret Agent Man.

I could probably get away with a bit of a dirty tone. We don't have a very good Birdland arrangement and I rest for half the song.

EDIT:

Quote by gregs1020
Got time/$179 to go grab one of these?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...WELAID=93570292

Haha, I saw that, but I didn't even see good reviews on MF (which are usually reviwes saying OMG THIS AMP IS GOOD) so I'm guessing it isn't too great.

I don't think there's any cabinets I can at my school I know about. And I was looking at Classic 30's. I was thinking about trying to get one for Christmas.

Oh, and yes, it's just a normal school jazz band.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Last edited by rafarquhar at Oct 22, 2008,
dude the crate V33 head is on sale for like 180 on musiciansfriend check em' out

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

The VJ and the 4x12 probably sounds great, if it moves enough air go for it.

Edit: I played the V18 and V50, both of which I liked.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 22, 2008,
Well, I just loaded my 412 into my car, so I'll go with that.

I was very surprised at how easily it fit. I drive an 06 VW Jetta, and it fit right in the trunk, without me even having to lay the back seats down.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet