On my ESP EC-1000, the locking tuner keeps breaking my low E string! It has happened twice in the past few days- the end of the string is about at a right angle when its locked in and then turned, but I was switching from drop D to E today and for the second time, the end of the string popped. Where the string was held in by the lock, it is now frayed and unwound.
Any ideas as to what's causing this?
You're tightening it too much.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
It wasnt wrapped around the peg, it was about a 1/4 turn, which leads me to believe that I'm not overtightening.

If I wrap it around the post a few times, should I not use the lock then? If you lock it and then wrap it around, won't that be a ton of overtightening?
^I mean you should lock it, but leave a little slack when you do so that you can have some wraps. The lock is a stress point for the string, so if you have all of the pull of the string on that one point, it's much more likely to break. Having a wrap or two spreads the stress over whatever area is touching the post, so it's much stronger.
While not what the tuner manufacturers recommend, this is sound advice, and will prevent the breakage on ALL the wound strings. Some wound strings are a bit more prone to unraveling and becoming weak at the point they exit the tuner than others. The worst I have found (but the best sounding strings) are the Thomastik Infeld Blues Sliders I love so much. The silk inlay in the wound strings makes them rather delicate, and leaving a hand width of slack, then winding around the post neatly, prevented any further breakage for me. Proper stretching, and there were no tuning issues either.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
yeah and if u ever take off the tuner locks ur bridge will just collapse trust me my friends do it all the time and i laugh in their faces cuz they have to give up about 150 bones to fix it
gear:
squier fat strat
fender 15 watt amp
yamaha f310
ibanez DS7(distortion)
Quote by humandragon
yeah and if u ever take off the tuner locks ur bridge will just collapse trust me my friends do it all the time and i laugh in their faces cuz they have to give up about 150 bones to fix it

um, tuner not tremolo. two completely different things.

Anyway, TS, I'd say give the string a wrap around the post. It'll spread out the tension better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The post isn't made for post wraps, I mean, yeah, you should leave a little slack, but I have the same model guitar. I've never encountered this as a problem though. .. .

As for the guy on the comment of the tremolo. You must keep company with retards if they own Tremolo systems but don't know how to reinsert them or calibrate them.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
OK, so leave a few inches of slack, lock the string, and then tighten until it's tuned?
inches? no. Maybe half an inch of slack.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Have you ever taken the screw off, I'm starting to think maybe your pin that is supposed to be inside the tuner isn't. . . . seriously, there is a fault with the mechanism, I don't care how much you tighten them, they don't break strings.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by notsee
I don't care how much you tighten them, they don't break strings.

Yes they do. It depends entirely on the brand - specifically the size of the core relative to the wrap on the wound strings. Strings with a small core, like the Thomastiks I mentioned earlier, tend to have the relatively large outer wound section get deformed and flattened by the pin as it is tightened. As they flatten, they become like a stretched spring, and gaps appear between the windings as the 'break' angle at the exit of the peg increases as the string is tuned to pitch. What results is exactly as the OP said, it just unwinds, leaving an exposed core. This small core is actually not being held at this point by the unraveling outer part, and the string just comes apart if you continue to tune.

As others have mentioned, leaving some slack to allow about one full turn on the peg helps, although with delicate strings (Blues Sliders), a full handspan of slack allows you to get a couple of turns around the peg and a proper locking of the string as you would with a normal tuner. Only as the tension begins to be put into the string should you then tighten the pin up normally.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1