I have a strange question. Can anyone attest to how different the "groove" you feel while singing and playing bass differs from playing guitar and singing?

I ask because I always found it was hard to sing and play guitar because the rhythems differed so much.

I have no problem singing, or playing, but doing both simultaneously with the bass seems like it would be completely different from doing so with a guitar. Thoughts?
Quote by Anjohl
I have a strange question. Can anyone attest to how different the "groove" you feel while singing and playing bass differs from playing guitar and singing?

I ask because I always found it was hard to sing and play guitar because the rhythems differed so much.

I have no problem singing, or playing, but doing both simultaneously with the bass seems like it would be completely different from doing so with a guitar. Thoughts?

I've found it harder to sing and play bass than sing & guitar.
It's alot harder to sing with bass then guitar. It's gonna take alot more work but it's worth it. When singing you should try to keep the bass relativly simple and not to complex. You should make singing the focus and just try to keep bass as a "second nature" type of deal. Look at Sting, or Phil lynott as examples of great singers/bass players.
It is quite different, it's even harder. You don't have your hand strumming to keep time, and you don't have your higher guitar pitch to base your vocal pitch off of. It's pretty much like doing two totally separate unrelated things. Playing a normal guitar while singing meshes together better.
Yeah it is quite a bit harder generally, mainly because a lot of the time what you play on bass is a counter melody to what the guitar or the vocals are doing
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
i myself find it harder to play bass and sing than play guitar and sing. idk its just got a different feel to it. i can play and sing some song i know on bass like the back of my hand. but i find it hard to play and sing new songs im learnin unless its on the easier side.
Quote by Windfall32
I've found it harder to sing and play bass than sing & guitar.

I accualy find it easyer to do bass. Probably because its more natural. Also i play a lot of metal so i dont do chords and the bass and guitar lines are simalar.
The trick is that you need to get one (the singing or the bass) down to a point where its automatic and you don't have to think about it. For most, if not all its the bass playing.

What helped me tonnes was a suggestion to play the bass line and talk the lyrics over the bass line--that will help you lock the rhythm of the singing over the rhythm of the bass part. Then when you have that down, sing it.
I can get fairly independent between what I'm doing, unless I don't know the lyrics (or the bass part of course) I've been doing basically since I started playing six years ago. I don't sing as well while playing tho, its harder to hear my voice and the bass itself constricts my ability breathe at full capacity. I usually try and pawn off playing bass so I can sing, despite obviously being a better bassist than singer.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I have some real trouble doing both at the same time(I was actually going to make a topic on this yesterday), especially if its a breakdown and I'm doing the screaming because normally the screaming doesn't follow the breakdown rhythmically. The only song I can sing while playing bass is "Dig Up Her Bones" by the Misfits, and that's only the chorus. It took me a while to get that down, and I'm not a real patient person so it can be really frustrating when you go completely monotone or mess up the bassline a few times in a row.
it harder to sing and play bass than to do it with guitar to me. i think its cause its rhythm notes. unless your like screaming or scat i dont think its easier. cause i scat on one of my bands song and its easy to stick in rhythm even if i start to make it complex. it just takes alot of practice.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
in my band used to guitar and sing, and now i bass and sing, takes getting used to but its easy when u can XD
Try adding more delay.
Quote by anarkee
The trick is that you need to get one (the singing or the bass) down to a point where its automatic and you don't have to think about it. For most, if not all its the bass playing.

+1

I did almost just this when I was learning to play "Dosed" and sing it at the same time.

It's easiest with bass lines that aren't complex. Imagine singing while soloing on a guitar? It's just as hard, if not harder to sing and groove on a bass, at least for me.
Obviously eighth roots are the easiest to play while singing, but unless it's got a funky pattern I find it's usually doable. It might be easier for me; I play with a pick and strum to keep in time.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Oct 23, 2008,
I play death metal and can do a few of the grunts but its not that hard i mean Tom Araya from Slayer plays bass and sings and the guy from Hate Eternal does aswell
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by Table Salt
It's easiest with bass lines that aren't complex. Imagine singing while soloing on a guitar? It's just as hard, if not harder to sing and groove on a bass, at least for me.

Exactly. It's not that it's guitar vs. bass, it's strumming vs. playing licks.
Dude, I'm pretty funky, groovy, counter-rhythmic, or what have you when it comes to playing bass. I'm a cleanfingermeister 95% of the time. So my grooves are DEFINITELY hard to sing while playing. Doesn't help that I'm not a great multitasker.

In fact, I've found for me it's actually easier to sing while playing drums than while playing bass. I'm a little more prone to miss the pitch, but rhythmically way easier. And that's saying a lot - it is not easy to drum and sing.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
i used to sing/guitar in a band and it took me a while to get used to it and now i play sing/bass in a differant band... i find it hell of a lot easier to play with a pick.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
If it's straight eighths or following the guitar I can do it sometimes because I prefer using my fingers instead of a pick like I do on guitar. It's hard for me on both.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
If it's straight eighths or following the guitar I can do it sometimes because I prefer using my fingers instead of a pick like I do on guitar. It's hard for me on both.

learn the lyrics of your songs and sing them when playing the numbers, it's all down to doing it and doing it and doing it and then some more.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I personally find it easier to play bass and sing, just because it gives you the root, the base of the song to expound upon with your voice. I use pick, so I strum to keep time, but it doesn't even seem that hard to get out of straight 8's and into something harder while singing.
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

strange, I scream while playing bass during the 'breakdown' in my metal band's song. Yes, only one. But it's probably cus I'm rhythmically challenged.

The only time I can play and sing bass is when I play beatles songs. And that's only because everyone knows the words to all the beatles songs, so I don't have to worry about the lyrics.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
The way I learnt seems to work with bass and guitar, and it was basically work out which word you change note on. It's good for simpler basslines, but obviously the more complex the bassline is the harder its gonna be.
with playing guitar i sing better, but when i play bass i have to try and pretend i dont hear the bass and just focus on myself singing