I'm new to UG, so sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question, although I think this is a "basic" question...

Here's the deal, I am planning some modifications to the electronics in my guitar (it's an Ibanez AF75, which is a semi-hollow body). Since it doesn't have a rear plate, I'll have to pull everything through the pickup hole. This will require me to completely destring the guitar. I am having a hard time finding information on how to destring a guitar. (Plenty on REstringing, which obviously you would want to do one string at a time, which is a completely different process than DEstringing.)

Rather than experiment and wreck my guitar, I have a couple questions regarding destringing:
* According to my perception of physics, it seems to me that if I loosen/remove a string from the guitar, it will result in more stress on the remaining strings. (I can just imagine it right now, the last string snapping from the stress and cutting my face in half.) How do I get all the strings off while avoiding this?
* Will it wreck the strings? In other words, should I buy new strings to install afterward?
* I get the impression from what I've read that completely destringing a guitar is bad for it. What kind of damage is possible? What adjustments might I check after restringing it?
* Naturally, I'm going to have to put strings back on after I'm done. How do I do this in the gentlest way on the strings and guitar?

Thanks in advance!!!!
pliers?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
nothings going to explode if you take them all off at once.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
loosen the tuners, and take off the strings completely?

I think you are making it 10000000 times harder then it needs to be
you can't/wouldn't put the same strings back on.....

not sure what else you are asking here

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
erm they wont snap if you take them off

buy new strings if you are taking your current ones off you may as well take the chance to fully restring your axe
if your destringing a guitar your better off just taking them allout and replacing all the strings at once unless they are fresh strings and one happened to break... if this is the case dont worry about wrecking the strings as you will be putting new ones in..

in doing so your perception of physics is correct and there will be more stress on the other strings, just make sure you detune them all a good amount so they are loose before cutting them out or pulling them through

no real damage is really causable aslong as you destring carefully if you cant pull the string through i suggest cutting the string and then taking it out in 2 parts

as for restringing just put them on one at a time order doesnt matter but dont just crank your tuners up you dont want to stretch the strings just get them on, loosely and then start to tune them

hope this helps good luck man
just loosen them a little bit, like three turns, at a time. If you took one all the way off, and then just untuned them all alittle it would be the same, its not going to F your guitar up, especially if you get a good set up every six months to a year.
i enjoy head
1. The strings aren't what's holding the neck and body together, so you don't need to worry about that.
2. lol. Strings aren't forever. they wear out eventually, so just get some new ones.
3. Your guitar should be fine. Again, the strings aren't holding the guitar together.
4. You can probably find a tutorial on that somewhere on here.
Quote by deftflux
I'm new to UG, so sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question, although I think this is a "basic" question...

Here's the deal, I am planning some modifications to the electronics in my guitar (it's an Ibanez AF75, which is a semi-hollow body). Since it doesn't have a rear plate, I'll have to pull everything through the pickup hole. This will require me to completely destring the guitar. I am having a hard time finding information on how to destring a guitar. (Plenty on REstringing, which obviously you would want to do one string at a time, which is a completely different process than DEstringing.)

Rather than experiment and wreck my guitar, I have a couple questions regarding destringing:
* According to my perception of physics, it seems to me that if I loosen/remove a string from the guitar, it will result in more stress on the remaining strings. (I can just imagine it right now, the last string snapping from the stress and cutting my face in half.) How do I get all the strings off while avoiding this? NO IT WONT HURT THE GUITAR
* Will it wreck the strings? In other words, should I buy new strings to install afterward? YES GET NEW STRINGS
* I get the impression from what I've read that completely destringing a guitar is bad for it. NO What kind of damage is possible? What adjustments might I check after restringing it? ACTION AND INTONNATION
* Naturally, I'm going to have to put strings back on after I'm done. How do I do this in the gentlest way on the strings and guitar? READ ON RESTRINGING

Thanks in advance!!!!

answers in bold

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Haha, thanks everyone! I finally have a nice guitar, I just don't want to hurt her right away lol.
What adjustments might I check after restringing it? ACTION AND INTONNATION

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with guitar adjustments... Could you explain? Or maybe offer a link to what you're talking about?

Thanks!!!
Hey, one important thing to remember, with your guitar the bridge is probably floating, meaning held in place by the strings. When you take all of your strings off its going to fall out of place. Use masking tape to make a box around the bridge when you still have your strings in place so you know where it goes when you restring it.
One misinterpretation of physics in this thread: The neck of the guitar resists tension, it does not create its own, therefore as you remove or loosen one string, you REDUCE tension overall, you do not increase tension on the other strings. Consider the differences in tensile strength between wood and metal, first of all, and the nature of connection, secondly. A guitar's neck is not stretched between two points; it's just sitting there. While it bends to account for the tension imparted by the strings, it does not exert enough back pressure (under normal circumstances) to add sufficient tension on its own. This may not be true for, say, a light gauge top string, so you may see it going slightly sharp as others are removed, but the effect will be minor. While cutting strings even under full tuning tension is not likely to damage an instrument, remember that a neck is a sandwich of fretboard, glue and neck. Any sudden change could possibly compromise an instrument. I have once seen a fretboard pop off (though likely it was just waiting for an excuse), so loosening strings first is a good idea before cutting.
Destringing the guitar aint that difficult, you just loosen the strings one at the time while you hold the string with your right hand. (So it dosent smack you, ive bin there).

And yes, i would advice you to get new strings after doing this. Since i see old strings as a stupid thing to restring with.
I think your best bet would to just take it to a tech and get them to do the work for you. You clearly don't have the foggiest in what you're doing.
Don't worry, even though the strings are exerting over 100 pounds of force on the guitar at any given moment, nothing bad is going to happen if you simply cut or unwind the strings from your guitar.
DEstringing: Taking a pair of wire cutters and cutting the strings off.