I ordered some picks from a guitar mag awhile ago and have recently started to use them and am having mixed feelings about them. They are different kinds made of ivory,ebony,rosewood among others and i was wondreing if any experienced players out there use them and what they think of'em. OH ! and are they harder on strings????????????? thanks eh!
Never played with wooden picks, but keep in mind that these picks are wood and your strings are metal. The strings will wear on the picks a whole lot more than the other way around.
I use ivory ones that I made myself. Pretty sweet on acoustic, but I use regular plastic on electric. Metal is harder on the strings, but bone and wood shouldn't be.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by z4twenny
^ never used anything like that. i stick with dunlop tortexes.

yep
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Lol, i use those dunlop picks :P
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Dunlop makes good picks. You'll have to determine the style you want, but whatever you get will be a good pick.

I suggest 1.14mm Blue Alligator picks, but I have considerable bias as I've been using them for about four years. But that's coming from the chick who (no commentary on this, I'll do what I want) only changes a string when it breaks and probably has an original string still on her 9-year-old acoustic guitar.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
But that's coming from the chick who (no commentary on this, I'll do what I want) only changes a string when it breaks and probably has an original string still on her 9-year-old acoustic guitar.

* SHUDDERS *
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Dunlop makes good picks. You'll have to determine the style you want, but whatever you get will be a good pick.

I suggest 1.14mm Blue Alligator picks, but I have considerable bias as I've been using them for about four years. But that's coming from the chick who (no commentary on this, I'll do what I want) only changes a string when it breaks and probably has an original string still on her 9-year-old acoustic guitar.

I seriously cringed.... I would refuse to play any instrument of yours. that's worse than running your fingernails down a chalkboard.

I know you said no commentary but I have on question: why? I see no possible benefit.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by rollininrhythm
Ivory?

Isnt marketing anything ivory illegal, since elephants are endangered animals?

Mine at least was a REALLY old piece I had laying around.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
That guitar sounds incredible and plays just as well as my electric guitar that has made everyone who has played it jealous that it's mine and not theirs.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

I do that as well. I prefer the sound of old strings.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Lmao. I can honestly say the same thing, though... Every time I re-string a guitar, I love the way it sounds, but I HATE the process. I've got better things to do, and since they stay in tune anyway, there's no need to change 'em. They're playable, and they stay in tune... Those are the only two things that matter.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That guitar sounds incredible

lets not kid each other, no, it doesn't. if you're lazy thats fine but don't try to feed someone sh!t and tell'em its chocolate ice cream
Quote by bangoodcharlote

and plays just as well as my electric guitar that has made everyone who has played it jealous that it's mine and not theirs.

this might be true. i emphasize MIGHT. i've found my guitars play infinitely better with fresh strings, but you just might be used to playing on funky crusted up rusty strings.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
But that's coming from the chick who (no commentary on this, I'll do what I want) only changes a string when it breaks and probably has an original string still on her 9-year-old acoustic guitar.

I must ask, Sue, why!?

Nahh kiddin' actually, I do ALMOST the same thing 'cept, when one breaks, I get a WHOLE new set...I bet you save a fortune on strings...

Ohh yeah! The picks...I use small stubbys. I've heard they're partially bullet-proof glass. I'm not sure that's accurate, but they're awesome. They slip over the strings really easy. There's only two problems I have with them...

1: They're really slippery when you sweat.

2: They wear down REALLY fast.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Oct 23, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote

*coughs*. Um, that's very lazy (says he who has on occasion gone several years w/o a string change).

Anyway - picks. The green dunlop 0.088's. I love them, and won't play with anything esle.
i change em every 100 hours (month or 2) Worth the time and money.
oh yea, picks, I use the dunlop 1mm and sand the tip to about 50% sharper for better attack. I do this to all my picks, better sweeps and cleaner riffs.
I think your pick choice depends on your playing style. I mostly play metal and lead stuff, so I prefer a hard pick with no flex. like bgc said, 1.14 is a good choice, it doesn't have flex but its not so thick as to make anything awkward. Also material makes a difference, too.. I HATE shiny/smooth picks, because they have this pansy slippery tone to them I find, I like a pick that you can tell has a very fine grain to it, still smooth but when you dig into the string it's very chunky. so find a balance for yourself
Dunlop herdims are amazing. They have this gritty side that you can use and get instantly a chimey, bright and fat at the same time tone. Defenitely the best pick I have stumbled upon.
Quote by one vision
Where did you order them?

Sounds interesting.

i was trying not to say the name cuz i wasnt sure if its allowed but since you asked, go to brossard picks.com theres all kinds there. They are very comfortable to hold once you get use to them and id imagine last forever,the few people i know that play and play far better than i, like em and offered me a few bucks for 1.
Last edited by LaLaLaLoopy at Oct 23, 2008,
Quote by se012101
*coughs*. Um, that's very lazy (says he who has on occasion gone several years w/o a string change).

Anyway - picks. The green dunlop 0.088's. I love them, and won't play with anything esle.

I used to use the .88's, but i've recently moved up to the blue 1.14's. Also, this oversized Gibson Heavy pick is fun to use, it feels nice in the hand.

Also, I can't play with thin picks, I absolutely hate them. They flop and click over the strings, and I don't get the return I like out of them.
I do things the traditional way with no picks, unless I go for an exam or something. When I do I just use a hard pick. I like jazz picks too.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

i do that too, but only because i'm too poor to buy any, and i don't care much for the sound of REALLY new strings