So right now with my situation, I have a Ibanez RGT42 guitar. It's got stock INF1 and 2 pickups in it. Standard humbuckers. It's also got a floyd rose bridge.

Now what I want to do:
Remove the floyd rose bridge - Put in a fixed bridge
Replace the Passive stock pickups with an '81 and '85

How much would that cost on average?
you can do your fixed bridge easy by blocking it. that should be cheap, you probably have something you can jam in the back laying around the house. the emgs will vary, they're 105 each on musiciansfriend. i'm sure you can get them cheaper elsewhere though.

edit: you can get the seymour duncan blackout set here, still musicians friend it's also cheaper than the emgs. just another option to consider, here.
Last edited by CapnMudGuru at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by CapnMudGuru
you can do your fixed bridge easy by blocking it. that should be cheap, you probably have something you can jam in the back laying around the house. the emgs will vary, they're 105 each on musiciansfriend. i'm sure you can get them cheaper elsewhere though.

edit: you can get the seymour duncan blackout set here, still musicians friend it's also cheaper than the emgs. just another option to consider, here.

Yeah I understand I can do all that but I actually want to physically remove the Floyd rose bridge from my guitar, not just put a piece of wood. I want to get a Fixed bridge put in and they would have to reroute my guitar for the wiring of the active pickups which wouldn't be to hard.

I'm just wondering a general price tag for all that?
it doesnt take any routing to swap passives for actives, and you could just get a tremol-no incase you ever want to go back to the floyd.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
it doesnt take any routing to swap passives for actives, and you could just get a tremol-no incase you ever want to go back to the floyd.

Well don't you have to have somewhere for the battery and stuff?
And yeah I could. I'd rather just take the whole bridge out though lol. Make it a string through body guitar.
you just stick the battery in with the pots and stuff. i have an 81 in my strat and i put the battery in a clip under my pickguard, works perfect.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
What amp do you have? EMG's need a good tube amp to sound good. You can get am EMG 81/85 set for $200.

To block the trem, 3 pieces of wood custom cut, and full refinish. By a pro, that will cost half a grand if it is done right. If you want to do it, probably no more than $100

So, you can spend around $300 or around $800, how much effort do you want to put in?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
What amp do you have? EMG's need a good tube amp to sound good. You can get am EMG 81/85 set for $200.

To block the trem, 3 pieces of wood custom cut, and full refinish. By a pro, that will cost half a grand if it is done right. If you want to do it, probably no more than $100

So, you can spend around $300 or around $800, how much effort do you want to put in?

well I was thinking of taking it to a Guitar tech, like the guy at Guitar Center that does all that stuff. Just have him fully replace the bridge and all that but I'm not sure if that's possible cuz if you were to take out the bridge it would just be a huge ass hole in the guitar.
Quote by Majin Gaara
Well don't you have to have somewhere for the battery and stuff?
And yeah I could. I'd rather just take the whole bridge out though lol. Make it a string through body guitar.

if the routing for your guitar is the same as my rg's (570, 321), which i'm 99.9% sure it is, you have room for the 9v in the main control cavity.

is there a reason why you want to make it a string thru? you realize that you have to fill up the routing from the existing bridge and refinish your guitar, which is a neck-thru so it's not as easy? you'll gain almost as much sustain by blocking it, with a lot less effort and possible irreversible damage to the guitar. the general consensus here seems to be a tremol-no (which i recommend from personal experience, just setting it to dive-only helped with sustain and return-to-pitch accuracy) or blocking it.

all things being said, your choice. your emg set will run you about 200, a tremol-no is about 60 depending on your source, so you can get this all set up for less than 300 if you choose this way.

there's no telling how much you'd wind up paying to remove the existing bridge, fill up the routing PROPERLY, re/finish to match the existing finish, AND install a new bridge. plus, if you're doing this yourself and you have little experience, there's a significant margin of error with your bridge placement. it's not as easy as it seems.