Whats a good set of strap locks? I'll prolly ask for a set for christmas or something, so budget isnt much of an issue.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
I use Dunlop, they have never failed me. I've heard people that are naysayers against them though, Schaller have failed me, but everybody vouches for them. . . . one night some Schallers threw a guitar of mine. With my assistance of course.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I use Schallers, $20 and I couldn't be happier
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by DCarney9116
I use Schallers, $20 and I couldn't be happier

+1 These are much better then dunlop.
Yeah, See, people are Schaller fanboys, I guess I'm the only dissatisfied schaller person. . . . it totalled my RG I used to have. . . hahaha cheap crappy basswood.

EDIT: Just for the purposes of clarifying, I'm hard on all guitars I use live. I throw them over my shoulder Jump around a lot and even sometimes fall down. . . . in the instance I'm speaking of I threw the guitar over my shoulder, and instead of coming back around, it flew out to a corner of the stage and then to the concrete below. . . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Last edited by notsee at Oct 22, 2008,
Why not just use some washers? They work decently, and don't ruin the look of your guitar with giant metal things.

Not to mention they are not even a pound/dollar.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
if youre not gonna heavily abuse it like guitar spins and throwing around all the time just dont want it to fall over either dunlop or schaller work
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Akridosity
Dimarzio lockstraps are good

Mmmmmhmmmm.
They feel good too.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I use DiMarzio and they haven't failed me. really sturdy and of course easy to install.

+1 to aerorocker.
They feel good.
I was thinking of using washers and such.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
^ I just used washers, and it took 2 mins. Plus it was free.
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
How'd you do it? pics?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Usually when you buy them it comes with a diagram.
With DiMarzio you just unscrew your strap buttons, and put the DiMarzio ones in instead.

It's really simple but I suck at explaining.
I use both Dunlop and Schaller on my guitars. I've never had a problem with either one.

Edit: Remember, most strap locks use larger screws than the original buttons use. This means you will have to drill out the hole before inserting the new screw. Failure to do so can result in split wood.

It would be a shame to ruin a guitar worth hundreds or maybe thousands with a 10 cent screw.
Last edited by GitfiddleNinjer at Oct 23, 2008,
I was talking about the washer setup.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
I use schallers and swear by them, i had dunlops, but i like these better.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jango22
I was talking about the washer setup.

for that you have to unscrew the button, put the washer on the screw, then put the end of the strap on the screw and screw the screw back in. (lol how many times did I say screw?)

with this way the washer stops the strap from being able to slide off, the problem with this is that it's a lot of trouble to take the strap on and off. you'll have to unscrew the button each time, and it's bad for the threads, it starts to get loose and wobbly. Strap locks are way better.
Quote by GitfiddleNinjer

Edit: Remember, most strap locks use larger screws than the original buttons use. This means you will have to drill out the hole before inserting the new screw. Failure to do so can result in split wood.

I never had that problem with my Dunlops on any of my guitars. I put Schallers on my G&L yesterday and actually had to fill the hole...

One of the bad things about Dunlops is that their "gold" ones are just brass plated and tarnish instantly and the finish wears off quick.
Last edited by eurotrashed at Oct 23, 2008,
^ yea, when I bought mine from my local shop the guy told me the screw might be too small and to break off a toothpick in there if it was. I didn't have any problems though, it fit perfect.
Well, for the washer thing, I'll only have the one guitar, so I might just do that.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
I dont own a hard case <_< and i could prolly make it fit in my gig bag. Honestly, everyone comes over to my place to jam, so it doesnt go very far.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
I dont own a hard case <_< and i could prolly make it fit in my gig bag. Honestly, everyone comes over to my place to jam, so it doesnt go very far.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, but don't do the washer thing. After I did it it stripped the threads of the hole where the screw goes in and I had to get a longer screw. Lucky I didn't really mess something up. Just get real straplocks.
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Quote by notsee
Yeah, See, people are Schaller fanboys, I guess I'm the only dissatisfied schaller person. . . . it totalled my RG I used to have. . . hahaha cheap crappy basswood.

EDIT: Just for the purposes of clarifying, I'm hard on all guitars I use live. I throw them over my shoulder Jump around a lot and even sometimes fall down. . . . in the instance I'm speaking of I threw the guitar over my shoulder, and instead of coming back around, it flew out to a corner of the stage and then to the concrete below. . . .

Can't really blame the straplocks if you're commenting on the cheap and crappy basswood.

I'm happy with my Schallers. They have yet to fail on me.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Quote by AllanM
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, but don't do the washer thing. After I did it it stripped the threads of the hole where the screw goes in and I had to get a longer screw. Lucky I didn't really mess something up. Just get real straplocks.

Not really.I used to use washers,and whenever that happened,all I did was just jam some toothpicks in.In fact,even on my Dimarzio Cliplocks,it still happens.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by AllanM

that's not the washers fault.

I've been doing this for years, you unscrew the pin, put the strap with the washer over it and screw the pin back in (everything under it)

make sense?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
that's not the washers fault.

I've been doing this for years, you unscrew the pin, put the strap with the washer over it and screw the pin back in (everything under it)

make sense?

That's exactly what I did, I think it stripped it because with all that under the button the screw wasn't in the hole far enough, so if you get a longer screw it should work fine.
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Quote by AllanM
That's exactly what I did, I think it stripped it because with all that under the button the screw wasn't in the hole far enough, so if you get a longer screw it should work fine.

No, do you have a fender standard? they're prone to it. same with epi les pauls
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
No, do you have a fender standard? they're prone to it. same with epi les pauls

What are you saying no to?, that getting a longer screw won't work?

No, I have a Godin Freeway Classic
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Quote by Broken-pick
Not really.I used to use washers,and whenever that happened,all I did was just jam some toothpicks in.In fact,even on my Dimarzio Cliplocks,it still happens.

jw, what do you think about the cliplocks? i was considering putting them on my next guitar
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
jw, what do you think about the cliplocks? i was considering putting them on my next guitar

Very good,they've never failed me before.Also easy to remove too.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by notsee

where did the schallers fail? if the screw came out of the guitar thats your fault or the fault of the wood in the guitar.

if the strap button on the guitar was still in place and the lock on your strap as well and they became separated then yes, blame the strap locks themselves

ive never had a problem with mine, i dont do guitar flips but i do just about everything else and they've been completely solid.