Hi all... Just got my first 6 string. Trying to soak up as much as possible. Seems like there is no shortage of things to learn and figure out...

Was looking at a book on Amazon, in it’s index it has a section called “The Five Root Shapes” What does that mean?

Same book, has a section called “Five Major Scale Patterns”, what does that as well?

Thanks so much for the help!
Rick
I know four basic chord patterns, but I'm not sure about the 5th. They are as followed:

Minor
Major
Augmented
Diminished...

and I'm not sure but I think the 5th most basic would be suspended.

All these patterns (or shapes) refer to the intervals between the notes on the fretboard. So we know that a major scale follows this pattern: WWHWWWH (W=whole step, or 2 frets; H=half step, or one fret) so a major scale would be the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of that pattern.

Consequently, a minor scale would also be the 1st, 3rd and 5th, but the 5th would be a half step down. Thus making it the flat of that note (b), composing a minor chord

All of those 5 different shapes affect the fifth, if you can get your hand on a circle of 5th picture it would help clarify a little.

Theres a good chance I'm wrong since I myself am working on theory, hopefully I didn't confuse or mislead you. Cheers, and good luck.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Hey thanks... It helped. Some, I still need to be able to visualize it. I'll look to see if I can find a circle of 5th image.

Thanks!
Quote by gizmodious
I know four basic chord patterns, but I'm not sure about the 5th. They are as followed:

Minor
Major
Augmented
Diminished...

and I'm not sure but I think the 5th most basic would be suspended.

I think the 5th most basic would be seventh chords wouldn't it
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by gizmodious

Consequently, a minor scale would also be the 1st, 3rd and 5th, but the 5th would be a half step down. Thus making it the flat of that note (b), composing a minor chord

Actually gizmodius, the 3rd tone is what is lowered in a minor CHORD. But in a minor SCALE, the 3rd, 6th, and 7th tones are lowered.

And RickBlacker, try visiting Musician's Talk for help on this. You too, gizmodius.
That forum is really helpful for any theory-based questions.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
Quote by hothead69999

And RickBlacker, try visiting Musician's Talk for help on this. You too, gizmodius.
That forum is really helpful for any theory-based questions.

Will do! Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
Strange, I would think that the five root SHAPES, in respect to chords would be.

E
A
D
G
C

Chords. All different shapes, all movable.
^I'd tend to agree with you - if they're talking about different shapes then it's probably actually "different shapes that do the same thing", namely create a major chord.

and technically the C and D shapes are the same
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

and technically the C and D shapes are the same

I just came back to edit that in and you beat me to it :P

But then, maybe not.

Sure with a C "shape", the end of the shape is the "D" shape, HOWEVER, when you play D as an open chord it uses the open "A string", and possibly the low F# if you use your thumb to extend the chord lower. So it could be a different shape. Obviously you couldn't move the full shape, just ignore the low string, create a barre and make a D shape, with the rest of your fingers.

Or NOT.

(Tries to cover tracks)
Basically, I think the sooner you realise that more often than not you're looking at exactly the same thing then then the quicker you'll understand how the guitar works musically...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Basically, I think the sooner you realise that more often than not you're looking at exactly the same thing then then the quicker you'll understand how the guitar works musically...

Except when it's not really a seagull

I getcha - it's all about that annoying shorter interval between the D and B strings.

Oh, I'll also add that the A and G shapes are the same, using the C and D reasoning.