Ok, so I can alternative pick pretty fast, but that's not my problem.

Problem:I switch pick finger position when alternative picking to playing palm muted chords.

Is this normal?

Usually I have my thumb on the bottom of the pick and my index and middle finger on top when alternative picking. This equals three fingers controlling the pick.

But

When I go to play chords, or palm mute strings i change to a 2 finger pick position. Just my Index finger and thumb.

This causes weird changes that are hard to do since I need to be making the switch fast.

Is this normal, or a bad habit. Should I just use one picking style for everything?
Do I need to just practice the switches?
Last edited by dima210 at Oct 22, 2008,
I believe Eddie Van Halen uses the 3 finger method for alternate picking. Personally I prefer the Paul Gilbert style where the pick rests on the side of the index finger. As for switching picking positions for different playing styles it shouldn't really matter. There's a million different ways to play the guitar so just stick with what you're comfortable with and keep practicing, you'll eventually work out the kinks along the way.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
I think its perfectly fine to switch the way you hold your pick, but personally, I would try to stay away from the 3 finger thing.

Not that the 3 finger thing cant work for you. A lot of very successful players hold their pick "weird". (Zakk Wylde, Jimmy Page, Marty Friedman, Pat Metheny)
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
You should try to use one picking style as much as possible. But if you can't, use the most comfortable way for you.
I can use all picking styles for all picking methods, but i prefer the ones most comfortable for me. I can alternative pick with only 2 fingers but I prefer 3 because it gives me way more control and a tighter sound.
Alternative Picking? Does that make you play like Green Day or Fall Out Boy?!?! Coolzzz!!!!

On a more serious note....

I would try and stick with one picking style as much as possible unless that transition you described becomes very smooth and hastle -free
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab