I'm doing a 2 year music practice course for my A levels, I started my second year in September. I've been playing guitar for 4-5years and I've started my 3rd band during the course (as part of the course we have to make bands among ourselves.) I've never played guitar in a band though, always bass. I'm always put on bass because I can borrow one to practice on, and I'm not to stubborn, usually I'm just glad to be playing in band. However in my new band I'm on guitar finally and I would be enjoying it however there’s a huge problem.

It’s this:

Band Mate 1: Vocals
Band Mate 2: Guitar
Band Mate 3 Guitar
Me: Guitar

I find this impossible to work with and just damn right stupid. I offered a compromise like this.
#1:Vocals
#2: Drums
#3:Bass/Guitar
Me: Bass/Guitar

So In other words if #2 plays drums (that’s he’s better at then guitar), I'll alternate playing bass with #3.

We all agreed to this at 1st, but after we set up the drum kit and #2 changed his mind.

It’s not just that, he's also really bad at guitar, and doesn’t learn material that we give him so we have to spend half hour before the gig teaching him the songs. All he can play is power chords, but attempts to play lead on stage with out even rehearsing or telling anybody before hand; it’s all out of key and sounds dreadful.

Also #1and #3 sometimes get a bit high before a gig because it doesn’t affect there playing/singing ability I don't have any because I know I can't play very well stoned and nor can #2, but he does anyway, despite me and #3 telling him its a bad idea.

He even had to simplify Johnny Cash's version of Hurt to just power chords, but still screwed up so I had to play his part.

The thing is I can't bring this up because #1 will defend him and number #3 won't want to be drawn into an argument, it will end up just turning into fighting, then no band, and finally no course .

I need advise there’s no way for me to find another band, but this is just getting stupid.

Sorry for bad spelling/grammar, its gone 12 here, and I just want to vent this before I go to bed.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Can you not explain the situation to your course leader/teacher (minus the 'getting high' part) in order to sort out the band structure? This way you will have your own roles within the band defined/set in stone by 'the powers that be.' This way nobody can argue, and if they do you can consult the lecturer/teacher who will in turn bitch slap you all into submission.
Suggest that he play drums "just this one time" - b/c he's "the best" at drums and "we need you to make it work". If this doesn't work, good luck
^+1 And maybe no one should get high, because he may feel left out if he cant?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gab4554
why dont you just kick him?

Because everyone needs a band, he's also a freind of mine, and number #1 will hate me if I tired.

Quote by G-Dog_666
Can you not explain the situation to your course leader/teacher (minus the 'getting high' part) in order to sort out the band structure? This way you will have your own roles within the band defined/set in stone by 'the powers that be.' This way nobody can argue, and if they do you can consult the lecturer/teacher who will in turn bitch slap you all into submission.

Other bands last year (including my one last year) had problems we tried to sort by doing that. The responces were all along the line of "You need to learn to sort out your problems together" or "you need to learn to work in conditions you wouldn't find comfortable.

Quote by AlanHB
Suggest that he play drums "just this one time" - b/c he's "the best" at drums and "we need you to make it work". If this doesn't work, good luck

Tried that after he disided he changed his mind about the compromise

Quote by gorkyporky
^+1 And maybe no one should get high, because he may feel left out if he cant?

I'd be cool with that, but #1 certainly wouldn't, I've tried telling him no before...

Thanks for the replys.

I'm going to try talking about altinating bass between all 3 of us for each gig, and maybe borrow somebodys drummer for a few gigs untill we have drumming sorted out.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.