Hey all, I have a les paul studio, and I play pretty much everything. Anybody have a good amp for me thats 400$?
PS, My 3 main styles are First, Classic Rock. Second, Jazz. Third, Metal... VERY versatile. Jazz Cleans and light crunches shine! THe 2 12 solid state 120 watt is what I have..
*reported* Belongs in GG & A forum.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

crate's a good starter.

carvin, orange, marshall, or a mesa, for future, just back it up with a few distortion pedals.
moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Man, with a top-notch guitar like that, you need to save up and get a good amp. It's silly to have a $1000 dollar guitar and play it through a $400 amp. There are pretty much three ways to go:

1) All tube combo or head with speaker cabinet. Almost all of them sound good, but personal taste should be the deciding factor. So...if you decide to go that route, go and try as many as possible and get which ever sounds the best to you. A budget suggestion would be the Peavey Valve King or one of the Fender Hot Rods. Here's the downside...you'll need good effects if you go this route (especially if you're looking for versatility). They do make tube amps with good effects (Hughes & Kettner Switchblade is one example), but those run the price tag up even higher. Overall, you're gonna get a very warm sound using tube amps. Especially at higher volumes.

2) Preamp (and any effects) into a tube power amp, then into a speaker cabinet. This is a way to sort of stay within a budget and still get a very versatile, warm tone at high volumes. There are tons of preamps to choose from, and one of the main advantages of this setup is that you can upgrade any of the components at any time. Thus, upgrading your sound without having to buy a whole new amp. As for affordable tube power amps, a lot of people seem to be really happy with Carvins. I personally have never played through them, but people that have 'em always seem very pleased with 'em. The downside here is that good speaker cabs aren't cheap, and they are a really important component. A good 412 cab (4 x 12" speakers) is gonna run at least around $500(US) new. You'd think you'd be able to cut that cost in half by getting a 212 (which would work in most situations), but you'd be wrong. It usually only knocks about a hundred bucks off the cost. The industry standard for speakers are the Celestion Vintage 30's or Celestion "Greenbacks". Those are both beautiful sounding speakers, but there are others that sound great too...again, check 'em out with your own ears.

3) There is a new, very workable option on the market these days. And that is the Line 6 Spider Valve. If I were trying to put together a professional quality setup for under $1000, this is the option I'd probably take. Here's why...these things are a healthy combination of tube-circuitry and built-in digital modeling, all in one pretty affordable package. They have both preamp and power amp tubes (which will give you that warmth at higher volumes). Also, the power amp section is designed by Bogner (absolutely top of the line amp company). The speakers are the aforementioned Celestion Vintage 30's (same speakers that are in the world's most popular speaker cabs...Marshall 1960 A & AB). Finally, for the versatility you are looking for, all effects and amp-modeling are right there on board. They make a 112 combo ($699), a 212 combo ($829...which would work in most situations), and a 100-watt head/ 412 cabinet ($1425...I probably wouldn't go this route. If I was going to spend that much I'd probably go for one of the first two choices). Now, I'll admit that I have actually only played through one of these (the 112 combo) for like five minutes in a music store. But, I liked what I heard and would honestly go this route with a budget like yours. However, you better believe that if I got the thing home and hated it, I would return it in a heart beat and keep on looking!

So, there you have it. Three options that I think could match the quality of your Les Paul. I wouldn't get a cheap solid-state amp if I were you. Like I said, I would just keep playing through what you've got and save up for one of the above options. If you are wondering, I use option one, but I've spent thousands. Good luck!
Last edited by b-rock34 at Oct 23, 2008,
Yes, the Crate V series...I should have mentioned these alongside the Peavey Valve King and Fender Hot Rods as affordable all-tube amps.
Last edited by b-rock34 at Oct 22, 2008,
if your a bedroom player i would suggest a epi VJ and some planning. a couple pedals and a amp you can mod or use pedals and take any direction you wanna go.