What model, or brand, would you say is the best to play any kind of music when looking at the sub $700 dollar range?
I'm looking into buying a guitar in that price range and don't want to limit myself by buying, say, a metal guitar for a example, or a blues guitar, since I like playing a lot of different music.
Ibanez Artcore semi hollow. Of the the more versatile guitars I've played.

From 350 to 600 bucks.
Red guitar
Blue Guitar
2 Blonde Guitars
3 Black Guitars
2 Brown Guitars

Bunch of pedal things

Couple of processor things

Two black amps
Tweed amp
Wine red amp
White amp
nashville tele
Ibanez GAX-70

Roland microcube

50 watt Marshall through 4-12 avatar cabinet.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. Cause life isn't that simple."
well, i've got my mom's old takamine f349 (yea, that's 25 years old) acoustic, so if i've already got an acoustic, does it make sense to buy a hollowbodied?
a les paul is an unbellievably versatile guitar. it's used by blues musicians, metal musicians, and has a full and powerful tone. look for a used gibson, i found mine for 635.
Ibanez SZ520,no Tremolo but they make a S model with tremolo Satch uses it
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
i was actually looking at the szr 720 from ibanez which isn't too different
les paul without a doubt. i play stuff in drop d like avenged sevenfold to stuff like 311 and stone temple pilots. it sounds great and looks good too.
Okay, well, there really isn't a "can do it all" guitar, you have to give us at least some vauge idea of your musical tastes. An Ibanez artcore doesn't cut through the mix like a superstrat, and a tele sometimes is a little twangy for modern cleans. And really, almost even more important than the guitar is the pickups you're using, you can easily ramp up the versatility of a guitar by say, having a cleaner neck pickup, but a slightly gritty bridge pickup accompanied by a pedal to really kick you into metal territory.
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
hmm well i don't play pop, i don't really play soft rock, nor do i play too much classic rock, i don't play insane metal but i have dipped my feet in the genre, i play some blues but i don't really play jazz...
A prestige Ibanez with HSH config, with coil tap.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Well, if you're just getting started on guitar, you may just want to get something that isn't crazy expensive, but of a reasonable quality, just something solid body and not too extreme, probably with at least one humbucker, just for the sake of versatility. And, down the road, when you really decide what genre's you really want to get into, you'll know what you want.
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
i've been playing guitar for a year... i've made decent progress since i've been playing piano for about 11 now. i want to draw a fine line between getting a guitar that isn't a beginners instrument that i will quickly outgrow, but not something to expensive, and something versatile enough so i can, as you said, explore what i want to play.
Quote by LD_Luke D
a les paul is an unbellievably versatile guitar. it's used by blues musicians, metal musicians, and has a full and powerful tone. look for a used gibson, i found mine for 635.

I'm gonna agree; I'd get a mid-to-high output Alnico pickup for the bridge and a PAF copy for the neck though. Strangely enough, it's the most clichéd SD pickup combo ever: The JB/'59 combo.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well, who are some of your favorite bands/guitarists?
You know, I have an SSH guitar myself, and there isn't much I can't play on it at least somewhat convincingly as far as tone goes.
Les paul.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Les Paul with a coil tap, or an Ibanez SZ with coil tap, or even a Schecter Blackjack or Hellraiser (in the latters case, a pickup change may be in the works, but it plays phenominally).
HSS Strat and Ibanez S series

EDIT**

Haha I noticed I was one of the few that repeated the same thing.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Strat

get one in HSS for even more variations on sound. (I'd suggest a Highway One HSS)
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
HSS strat or a epi les paul.

go try them out and pick the one you like more, the necks feel very different.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Jackson DK2 or DK2M.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
There's really no one guitar that's perfect for everything. With todays amps and effects you can get alot out of any guitar. Go with the one that you like the most.
All that being said although I'm a newbie as far as playing I've been around professional musicians for better than 30 years. One thing almost everyone of them have is a Les Paul that they use and I would say the majority (around 70%) used them as thier main guitar. Many after hours discussions over adult beverages that the LP come as close as one can get to a do everything electric but to cover everything you would need 4. A Les Paul, Strat,Tele and an ES -335 style
les paul.
sorry if thats a bit vague but there is a les pauk for every price range so they're probably your best bet
PRS:

Just check this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9imuLRcCEI

Skip to 1:34 for the tones.

Pricey guitars but it wil last for a lifetime.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 23, 2008,
Quote by sinister midget
Ibanez Artcore semi hollow. Of the the more versatile guitars I've played.

From 350 to 600 bucks.

Agreed. I was kinda horse shittin' around for my daughter and played 3's and 7's and it sounded good.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
reading this thread makes me realize how fail my guitar is..lol it works for now though. Perhaps I'll upgrade when I get a job
Agile AL - Les Paul copy
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
ibanez rg1570? yamaha pacifica 812? really anything which is either HSH or HSS (in terms of pickup configuration) would be your best bet for a range of stuff...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
washburn x50 pro
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w