I might change my mind again, but I think for now, I'm going to go to college for computer programming, which is what my dad does. I'm guessing I'll be able to get a pretty good job, because my dad originally went for business management, but after his business failed (his partner was stealing money and stuff), he did a bunch of random jobs like milking cows, and then he got a job as a computer programmer about ten or eleven years ago, and only took three classes for it. I'm not sure if there's different kinds of programming that you do; he works at Kraftmaid, and writes/maintains programs that make sure that they ship their cabinets to the right places and everything. I don't think he's worked there even ten years, and he makes $63,000 a year, so that seems pretty good.

Anywho, I'm guessing there's different types of programming to do for different jobs, so I was wondering if there's anywhere I could get started. All I really know is some basic html, but from what I've seen with html and java, it's more copy-pasting and tweaking than actually writing stuff completely from scratch. I also get a laptop when I graduate in early June, and I plan on getting Linux for it, so I can practice writing with that.

EDIT: I read on the Dept. of Labor's website that the number of programmers hired is going to decrease by 4% in the next eight years, but whatever.
C++, Java, maybe Flash.

Definitely Python, too.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by thewho65
You should probably learn some of the C languages.

Like C++? My dad has a book on that, I'm guessing there's also C and C+ then?
According to my Linux teacher, if you're proficient in Linux, you're almost guaranteed a decent paying job. Most people don't even know what Linux IS.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
According to my Linux teacher, if you're proficient in Linux, you're almost guaranteed a decent paying job. Most people don't even know what Linux IS.

Most people don't know you can lock the taskbar.
I'm doing Java at the mo, its actually very enjoyable! I was surprised.
$60,000 isnt great to be honest. programmers in the UK get £60,000, thats almost £120,000. and that is starting salary.
our drummer does coding for Infomatica and DataStage, you can't even get books on that stuff. £700 a day!
I'd only work 2 days a week lol
Ok, from advise I've gotten from actual programmers:

If your just doing it as a job its going to become a burden and frustration in your life. You have to actually love what your doing or its just not going to be worth it.

I too want to become a programmer.
Html isn't really programming, and you can write a lot of cool things in Java.

You should definitely look at some C and C++ too (there isn't a C+ btw )

You should also learn a little SQL for server managing, because you'll eventually have to deal with it anyway if you work for a company.

Learning Actionscript (the language used by Flash) is also a really good thing. It's really easy to understand if you've learned C before anyway (well AS2 is, and AS3 is pretty much the same thing as C). I'm a flash programmer though so I may be a bit biased

Edit:
Quote by kaosfire
Ok, from advise I've gotten from actual programmers:

If your just doing it as a job its going to become a burden and frustration in your life. You have to actually love what your doing or its just not going to be worth it.

I too want to become a programmer.

Yeah that's really true also. If you love video games (which I really think you do since you're wanting to become a programmer), try to find a college where they have classes about video game programming.
I am taking Java classes. I was informed that Java is the most widely used language in the world. If I can make 60,000 a year ill be :-) that is decent scratch for starting out. And where I live that would get me quite far. Whereas if oyu lived in california 60,000 wouldnt get you shit.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Java is a safe bet as the code works on any platform, it uses a clever environment in between your code and the OS so the code you write is the exact same no matter what, linux, apple, windows, mobiles, anything.
its a big probably in C++ and C# because you have to make slightly different codes to fit around the OS artitecture
It isn't so much what languages you know in computer programming, it's how well you can solve complex problems using the method a computer would use to solve the problem. At least this is what I was told until I changed majors. If you have the basics of computer programming down pat, like looping, functions, recursion, variables, etc,, writing code in any language should be no problem.
Quote by Thornography
Most people don't know you can lock the taskbar.

Lulz.

True.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Freddedonna

Yeah that's really true also. If you love video games (which I really think you do since you're wanting to become a programmer), try to find a college where they have classes about video game programming.

Irony, Im not a gamer at all. In fact my 360 comes alive maybe 4 or 5 times a month to play a round or two of halo 3.

No Im a dying class of geek, a computer geek.
Quote by matt062286
It isn't so much what languages you know in computer programming, it's how well you can solve complex problems using the method a computer would use to solve the problem. At least this is what I was told until I changed majors. If you have the basics of computer programming down pat, like looping, functions, recursion, variables, etc,, writing code in any language should be no problem.

yeah that is true.
if you can put it down in pen exactly what you want it to do then you can translate that into any code. some languages have better features than others though
What I did when I first started was learned on Visual Basic, but to get good, you will need a book.

Go here, I like this:
http://download.plt-scheme.org/drscheme/

Download it, if you need help, message me anytime, but its good with coding when you get into it.

Go here for the online book with instructions of all sorts:
http://htdp.org/2003-09-26/Book/curriculum-Z-H-1.html#node_toc_start

If you follow that, its good. Also go to Barnes and Noble to get a few C++, C#, Java, ext. for dummies. They do an alright job with it, then start getting into more books about it. Either start with Sceme or VB.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by GaijinFoot
yeah that is true.
if you can put it down in pen exactly what you want it to do then you can translate that into any code. some languages have better features than others though

Exactly.

And TS, even if you're not a gamer, working in a game studio is priceless

Edit: ^For C++, please don't get the C++ for Dummies book man... Get the big pink one from Deitel & Deitel. It's the C++ bible (and I really mean it).
Quote by GaijinFoot
Java is a safe bet as the code works on any platform, it uses a clever environment in between your code and the OS so the code you write is the exact same no matter what, linux, apple, windows, mobiles, anything.
its a big probably in C++ and C# because you have to make slightly different codes to fit around the OS artitecture

While Javas VM can be a plus (itll run on any OS basically) it also tends to run a bit slower because it relies on that VM (virtual machine) to run its code. Unless Im mistaken C and its variants tend to be what "heavy" (cant think of a better way to describe that) programs are coded in.

Thats not to say Java is bad or good, just a bit of info for ya.
Quote by kaosfire
While Javas VM can be a plus (itll run on any OS basically) it also tends to run a bit slower because it relies on that VM (virtual machine) to run its code. Unless Im mistaken C and its variants tend to be what "heavy" (cant think of a better way to describe that) programs are coded in.

It's just because C and it's derivatives are directly interpreted by the processor. And they run A LOT faster.
Quote by Freddedonna
Exactly.

And TS, even if you're not a gamer, working in a game studio is priceless

Edit: ^For C++, please don't get the C++ for Dummies book man... Get the big pink one from Deitel & Deitel. It's the C++ bible (and I really mean it).

I actually never got the C++ for dummies, but I did for C#, and it helped. I'm going to check out that pink book. Thanks.

(I also am going to be a programmer.)
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by Freddedonna
It's just because C and it's derivatives are directly interpreted by the processor. And they run A LOT faster.

Exactly, they run straight to the processor while Java has to run through the VM first, which is what takes time.

Never knew you were a programmer. Maybe youll hear from me more often round these parts.
Hehe well I just got out of school 2 months ago. I didn't do a full degree though, just the game programming/integration stuff. I can pretty much make a game by myself, even if it would take years .
Quote by Freddedonna
Hehe well I just got out of school 2 months ago. I didn't do a full degree though, just the game programming/integration stuff. I can pretty much make a game by myself, even if it would take years .

Sweet deal!

What school did you go to?

I happen to want to do application development, preferably for the mac (which Im 100% sure is deffinatly going to hit at least 25% market share in the next 10 years).

Dream job/unacheiveable dream : Actually working for apple on some part of OSX (or by then OSXI
Quote by GaijinFoot
yeah that is true.

well you would think this would be true,

and then someone shows you prolog
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Quote by kaosfire
Sweet deal!

What school did you go to?

I happen to want to do application development, preferably for the mac (which Im 100% sure is deffinatly going to hit at least 25% market share in the next 10 years).

Dream job/unacheiveable dream : Actually working for apple on some part of OSX (or by then OSXI

Well I went to a private college here in Quebec City, but there's probably a school near you that offers pretty much the same kind of program. You won't learn anything (or pretty much anything) about Mac programming though

Quote by Fiddler
well you would think this would be true,

and then someone shows you prolog

You've never seen brain**** eh?
http://www.zelaron.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2111.html
Have fun!
Last edited by Freddedonna at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by Freddedonna
Well I went to a private college here in Quebec City, but there's probably a school near you that offers pretty much the same kind of program. You won't learn anything (or pretty much anything) about Mac programming though

Well Cocoa is mostly C or C++ with Objective C to deal with GUI elements I beleive.

Its not a whole different type of programming really, just a different OS.
Quote by kaosfire

Yeah that is true but as time goes by the speed starts to mean less, even mobiles are very powerful these days.
I just meant that java is a good choice as it's a bit more general.
I'm using the book Java in Two Semesters but I'm clearing a Chapter a day it's that addictive!
Quote by kaosfire
Well Cocoa is mostly C or C++ with Objective C to deal with GUI elements I beleive.

Its not a whole different type of programming really, just a different OS.

Yeah but Mac have a really different architecture so you have to write in a different way (at least that's what I heard, I never programmed anything for Mac (even if I'm typing this on one lol)). For exemple, they allocate their memory starting from the end =\
Quote by Freddedonna
Yeah but Mac have a really different architecture so you have to write in a different way (at least that's what I heard, I never programmed anything for Mac (even if I'm typing this on one lol)). For exemple, they allocate their memory starting from the end =\

Eh, as long as I can be taught, i can do.

Again, just a dream, ill probably end up in some dinky little company but if I can work on fun programs, its all good.
Quote by Furnase
Learn Java and C++. Perl for video game programming.

Perl isn't really used to program games man. They are mostly coded in C/C++, with some parts (like the main engine) written in assembly (for even better performance).