Im planning to build a neck, and i want it to be fretless because its just soo good looking, and i was wondering will my setup have any major tonal differences?
Quote by drunkinkoala
It's weird, kids want to be adults and adults want to be kids.

Quote by HarmlessLilF*ck
You know you're a guitar player when you would rather use the internet to look at pictures of guitars than spread eagled chicks.
it'll be on a guitar, and what kind of differences?
Quote by drunkinkoala

Quote by HarmlessLilF*ck
You know you're a guitar player when you would rather use the internet to look at pictures of guitars than spread eagled chicks.
It'll much more difficult to play. You'd have to actually intonate each note instead of just slamming a finger down round abouts a fret.

It'd be like playing a 6-string cello or some such.
im really sorry but i dont quite understand, do you mind elaborating on that?
Quote by drunkinkoala

Quote by HarmlessLilF*ck
Without frets, you need to be very accurate on finger placement and have excellent left hand technique.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
On a guitar, the frets are placed so when you press down a finger, your finger doesn't determine the pitch, the fret does.

Without frets, your fingers take the place of frets and you have to place you fingers where they would be in tune.

This would make the guitar much harder to play. Chords would be awful, 'specially barre chords.
^However, classical music requires such precision and considers it a fundamental skill.
oh okay i see i see, thank ya'll soo much, now i wont get it THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by drunkinkoala

Quote by HarmlessLilF*ck
To all the people saying that fretless would make stuff sound bad/be impossible/whatever, look up Bumblefoot (Aka. Ron Thal). On a side note, a lot of his stuff features lots of weird noises, but you can find him playing blues/rock/chords/shred on Fretless guitars. In other words, it's perfectly possible.

For guitars, some fretless guitars feature metal fretboards for a more similar tone to a fretted instrument. Overall, generally go with harder woods for your fretless FB.