Now that 'emo' after years and years is finally being associated with one common look http://img36.picoodle.com/img/img36/8/6/18/f_Emokidlargem_6861503.jpg

a certain kind of music http://www.musicheadquarter.de/images/artist_event/panic-at-the-disco/panic-at-the-disco.jpg

and an all around generation identity, i ask everyone.

How long before this awful 'fad' is over??

We've heard about hippies, disco, most of us lived through grunge, and now we have this awful...wrist cutting, corner-crying, suburb-whining, 3 power chord playing identity that honestly makes me want to never listen to my favorite radio station again.

I always thought 'emo' was just a type of personality. But it seems to have worked its way into mainstream stores and its now being marketed as a 'look'. either way, i dont like it. and i know a lot of you don't either.

Here i am whining about emo! How ironic.

Honestly though, i feel ashamed that it came to this. At least the hippies knew how to party, disco-goers knew how to dance, and grungers knew how to mosh!

I'm done. Move the topic, flame it, close it, who cares! I speak only the truth!
no scene ever 'dies'. the focus just gets shifted away from it.

btw grunge was way worse than emo
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
Wow someones being an idiot

Ok, so some emo music is total shit... But, if you listen to stuff like My Chemical Romance they got some cool stuff going on with their lead guitar behind the rhythm guitar's "3 power chords" (to quote you even though theres oftentimes more) . Same with Hawthorne Heights... Just give those bands a try...

But yes I will admit, nothing can beat classic rock and 80's metal.

This is my opinion, dont argue or flame please
Emo is better than hair metal!! This emo garabge will be flushed out and forgotten! People still think hair metal is legitimate music! Haha!
I'm not sure which, but I guarantee this is breaking some sort of MT rule.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Well, seeing as most trends last about a decade... I'm going to say this one'll last till maybe mid 2010's seeing as the music industry is so different nowadays
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
You sir, Mr. person I have never met before, are quite accurate in your depictions of these emo creatures! I do wish mightily for their extinction as do all of us chaps across the pond. May you send all grievances and salutations care of: My Ass
Quote by Souls United

Ok, so some emo music is total shit... But, if you listen to stuff like My Chemical Romance they got some cool stuff going on with their lead guitar behind the rhythm guitar's "3 power chords" (to quote you even though theres oftentimes more) . Same with Hawthorne Heights... Just give those bands a try...

no, its cool. you're entitled to it. yeah...i've heard maybe like one or two my chemical romance songs and they have some good guitar stuff goin on. obviously i'm exaggerating. its just that a friend of mine started this totally emo pop punk band, which is what set off the anger that sparked this topic.
You sir, are pretty closed minded.
Music is not about looking sad or depressed, it's about the feelings conveyed through a song. Metallica had pretty "Emo" lyrics back in the day. But because of the way they dress, they're considered super bad-ass. I know at lease 20 "Emo" bands that use A LOT more than 3 chords.

Besides, I'm SURE you hate everything else that uses only 3 chords? Why can't you just accept this fad and move on? The "Emo" attitude is dumb, but the music should be respected as ANY OTHER type of music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Lastly, I know some Emos who can dance circles around most people.

Have a nice day, you ignorant music nazi.
Originally Posted by"putnamehere"
You know youre a guitar player if you see hot girls and says:

"I'd tap her like a Van Halen solo"

and your friends are all:

"Dude, is that a new ice cream or something?"
Quote by rageagainst64

i'm not even gonna begin to argue about that last statement you made. i agree with what you said about scenes though.
Quote by rageagainst64

are you ****ing kidding me?

yeah, cos BMTH are waaaaaaaaaay better than Alice In Chains. Idiot.

but seriously, emo music will die when the people who don't listen to it stop talking about it.
Quote by CreepyGuy
You sir, are pretty closed minded.
Music is not about looking sad or depressed, it's about the feelings conveyed through a song. Metallica had pretty "Emo" lyrics back in the day. But because of the way they dress, they're considered super bad-ass. I know at lease 20 "Emo" bands that use A LOT more than 3 chords.

Besides, I'm SURE you hate everything else that uses only 3 chords? Why can't you just accept this fad and move on? The "Emo" attitude is dumb, but the music should be respected as ANY OTHER type of music. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

Lastly, I know some Emos who can dance circles around most people.

Have a nice day, you ignorant music nazi.

you think i dont appreciate music? well, okay, maybe my original post made it seem that way. but i can assure you i find something good in every song i listen to. whether it was written in the 1700's or if it was written in 2008, i'll find something good about it. that doesn't mean its good music.

and please don't call me a nazi. come on, man.
Quote by kaiser_bill
are you ****ing kidding me?

yeah, cos BMTH are waaaaaaaaaay better than Alice In Chains. Idiot.

but seriously, emo music will die when the people who don't listen to it stop talking about it.

in retrospect, you're probably right. damnit.
Quote by Souls United

You do realize that lead guitar means, LEAD guitar! don't you? I'm not referring to the stringed plastic soupcans these My chemical romance's think they are "playing" um before you ever imply that my chemical romance's guitarist has any talent again please watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOVWqhGXVNA
ok may i say that metallica is far from emo it has dark lyrics but for example Fade To Black it came out long before the word emo was invented so skrew off o and emo music is ok on like 2 songs the rest is just gay wrist cutting
Quote by rmeyer8
You do realize that lead guitar means, LEAD guitar! don't you? I'm not referring to the stringed plastic soupcans these My chemical romance's think they are "playing" um before you ever imply that my chemical romance's guitarist has any talent again please watch this video

I'm hoping I read this wrong, but did you seriously just denounce the "leadiness" of a guitarist because of the guitar he plays? Lead means provides the melody, not plays a les paul.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by rmeyer8

I never said he's a guitar virtuoso or anything, like that guy is. But MCR's guitarist is definitely better than the guitarists of other modern bands, like Green day or Blink-182
To me its just like the grunge movement. Grunge was just a classifcation of a movement that couldnt be explained and I think thats whats going on here. As far as ive heard Emo music is simply melodic metal just higher pitched voices (that i will admit are annoying).
As far as the persona of a emo, I thnk its just people buying into the movment then actually being depressed and hurting themselves.
And people who cut their wrist are not emo the just have REALLY bad problems
Quote by AbTT
To me its just like the grunge movement. Grunge was just a classifcation of a movement that couldnt be explained and I think thats whats going on here. As far as ive heard Emo music is simply melodic metal just higher pitched voices (that i will admit are annoying).
As far as the persona of a emo, I thnk its just people buying into the movment then actually being depressed and hurting themselves.
And people who cut their wrist are not emo the just have REALLY bad problems

yes, they do. they're messed up in the head. i guess what bugs me is that most of these kids probably dont have a good reason to. not that there IS a good reason to.
emo will never die, only the focus of mainstream music will move elsewhere
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Ha! Thats funny comparing this new "emo" **** music to grunge. Before you people judge, im not a grungehead or grunger or whatever, but grunge bands had WAYYYYYYYYY more talent than these emo fags and could actually sing. Emo bands have the worst vocalists in the history of music. Listen to silverstein. Absolute worst vocalist alive.
Quote by Souls United
I never said he's a guitar virtuoso or anything, like that guy is. But MCR's guitarist is definitely better than the guitarists of other modern bands, like Green day or Blink-182

So the lead guitarist is talented, what does that have to do with making good music? I say little to nothing.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Why has this thread not been closed?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
A year or two more.

Then it will be dead. Then everyone will become ravers.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.