This is gonna sound so damn noob-ish, but.....

I play blues.Its all I ever play,and Im trying to learn to play more,but when it comes to fresh ideas,and soloing I cant play anything besides what I typically do.Its the simple fact that Im too used to the pentatonic and blues scales. Im not too good with theory,and thats why its pretty much all Iv ever learned.If someone could PLEASE help and name some scales or modes I should learn it would be highly appreciated.

I know this probly sounds pathetic,but I need something to take me farther then where Iv been going,in terms of ability.
What doesn't kill you,only makes you pissed off.
mm, i'd try minor and major. situations where they can be used are fairly common, and they can set a neat mood in music.
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
I would start listening to someting other than blues and see the techniques they do in their soloing it also helps you see different type of chords you can use to... personally i would listen to Between The Buried And Me(selkies the endless obsession), The Human Abstract(mea culpa), and Protest The Hero(turn soonest to the sea) if you want to get more technically advanced BUT I WARN YOU IT IS VERY TECHNICAL!!!!!!!!
Learn to shred. Look up the harmonic minor scale. its a scale that YJM bases most of his stuff on. I plan on learning that scale next but still focusing more on blues and penta scales.
its a good classical scale that you can make cool slow sounding classical songs with or shred.
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
Quote by XxXDevonXxX5696
I would start listening to someting other than blues and see the techniques they do in their soloing it also helps you see different type of chords you can use to... personally i would listen to Between The Buried And Me(selkies the endless obsession), The Human Abstract(mea culpa), and Protest The Hero(turn soonest to the sea) if you want to get more technically advanced BUT I WARN YOU IT IS VERY TECHNICAL!!!!!!!!

riiiiiight....
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Get out of your comfort zone, and learn some new things. Try some other musical genres, even if you typically hate. Actually, I hate pretty much all of what we call rap, beat, dance music and all what is related to it, but still, there 3-4 songs of Trance that I love. You can inspire yourself from things you like from other genres ( jazz, rock, metal, progressive rock/metal, classical music, etc ), and even get inspiration from things you don't like about them, by not doing these things.

If you always only played blues, you can't play anything else than blues. Improvisation is not really improvisation, we only play riffs, licks, arpegios, ideas, scales, that we listened, played or learned at least once in our life. You can't bring a kicka** solo out of nowhere, and if you do sometime in your lifetime, don't ever do it again, cause it won't work twice.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Umm... regardless of them saying you should listen to other styles (bah!!), Perhaps get yourself Robben Ford's instructional dvd "Back to the blues". In that you will find the scale choices he makes over specific chords to get the sound he wants. He also discusses diminished scales and various augmented scales and modes, etc.

Another to try would be Eric Johnson's "total guitar" dvd. It still makes me cry as to how good he is but its so inspiring.

Hope this helps, good luck, enjoy

As for not bringing a butt-kicking solo from nowhere and only doing it once... well, thats not entirely true. Every time you play the solo you improve on it constantly, adding here and there is natural but it improves dramatically.
Last edited by evolucian at Oct 23, 2008,
All you know is Pentatonic?

Thats fine, Look at some of Eric Johnson's solos and incorporate those into your playing.

He uses Penatonic minor scale and some aeolion, but his roots are mainly pentatonic.
So you can use that as your inspiration.
Thanx guys,the last 2 replys actually helped a lot.
What doesn't kill you,only makes you pissed off.
Follow the chords. That's the first step for getting out of the "pentatonic rut" (it's not
a rut per-se, but I assume you're just playing pentatonic licks/scale and just hope it
will fall on the right note over the right chord.)

In a blues progression, you have 3 chords. That's 3 arpeggios. Practice playing those
3 arpeggios, over the right chord, and nothing but the arpeggios. Get to where you can do
that without thinking.

When you can, you'll be in a much better position to do more things with your solos.
Learn the major scale. So much stuff comes out of that. For example, the minor is just a different starting note and points of emphasis, as well as cool sounding modes such as phrygian. And cool exotic sounding stuff like harmonic minor is only a slight alteration away.