I'm currently in the market for a new amp, upgrading from a line 6. I play metal, rock, punk, etc. The cleans I get out of my amp aren't too important as I usually play with at least a little distortion dialed in. My budget is around $450, and I don't have this $ yet.

It's between these two-

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W

and

Peavey ValveKing 112

They both seem alright, I'll definitely change the speakers, throw in classic 30s or something, and I'm looking into getting a Metal Muff.

Also, I've seen ValveKings on ebay for $300 with speaker changes and footswitches so if I decide on a VK, I could get one used.
The Vypyr will probably get metal-level distortion easier (because it's a modeling amp) but who knows how they sound? The tube versions just came out pretty much day before yesterday.

I know my VK can do metal with an overdrive pedal quite easily, but it struggles somewhat with more modern metal. It'll eat up rock and punk for breakfast, though.

If you get it used you'll have an even better deal on it which would give you more money to spend on "upgrades". Who knows? Try the Vypyr.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^Truth

If you're already saving, I'd say save a bit more 600-800$. With that much money used, you could find a really great amp that you won't outgrow.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I hear it was going to be after Thanksgiving before the Vypyr hybrids come out.

There are other amps btw - or have you already narrowed it down? And you meant Celestion 30 speakers or throw in a Classic 30 into the mix for amp choice?
yeah celestion 30's, I've heard of people swapping out the stock speakers for those and saying it worked wonders, but who knows.

I can try to save up for around $700, but making money in the winter's hard, no grasses to cut.
I understand, but if you're already saving, what a few extra months? I normally wouldn't suggest it, but you're not too far from some really nice used gear. I'd try as many amps as you could in the mean time. Peavey XXX, ultra are a good bet. A used 5150 combo would probably work great for you (doesn't have good cleans). Mesa f and dc series are worth a look. The bugeras are worth a try and I've heard good things about the randall rg50tc.
if even you were willing to spend 600 you could snag

A
Used Peavey XXX combo
Used Mesa DC-2
Used Peavey Ultra combo *could prob get this for even cheaper*
Used Mesa .50 caliber
Traynor YCV50
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
They both seem alright, I'll definitely change the speakers, throw in classic 30s or something, and I'm looking into getting a Metal Muff.

You mean a Vintage 30?

Buying an amp and then spending cash to upgrade it is a waste of money, especially on a cheaper amp like that. Spend more and buy something that suits you how it is stock.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You mean a Vintage 30?

Buying an amp and then spending cash to upgrade it is a waste of money, especially on a cheaper amp like that. Spend more and buy something that suits you how it is stock.

It was the only option I had without spending even more money than I did. Damn import tax and markups.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Alright, well I decided I'll wait til maybe like around June or so when I get out of school, I could have around $1000 then. If I waited til Christmas I might have around $600.

Would $1000 be enough for a Peavey 6505 combo?

Or are there better amps in that range.
You could definitely get one used, I don't know about new. If you're willing to wait I suggest you do.
How does the valveking 112 compare to the classic 30 in terms of cleans? I know neither can achieve great metal sounds by them self but which one has better distortion also?
Just wondering, if I only plan on bedroom practice, do I really need a $1000 amp since I won't be able to crank them or anything?
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
Just wondering, if I only plan on bedroom practice, do I really need a $1000 amp since I won't be able to crank them or anything?

If thats all you plan on doing, get a roland micro cube and be a happy camper. Unless you want a little more oomph, get either a rev jr, or that new Egnater rebel amp.
^This is only for bedroom practice? I might suggest you look at the krank rev jr, does the metal thing quite well, a cube 30x would be a good choice too (and within your current price range)

razerfaze: The classic 30 has better cleans, and OD if you ask me. The VK is kinda meh in my opinion, but by no means a bad amp for the price, especially used.

Edit:
Quote by Highwaytohell
If thats all you plan on doing, get a roland micro cube and be a happy camper. Unless you want a little more oomph, get either a rev jr, or that new Egnater rebel amp.

Aww, you bastard, you beat me to it.
Hmmm, well jamming with some friends and that shit is something I like to do, and it's kinda embarrassing when my friend plugs into his Bogner and another plugs into his Rectifier....

I'm no gonna be seriously jamming, but with some more practice I could see myself in a band down the road so maybe a nice amp would help.
Damn, you aren't making it easy. I'd save up to a nice amp in that case.
Valvekings take a lot of heat but they also produce some decent tones for a lot of folks on a budget. I've already mentioned that buying used can get more amp for money if you find that sweetheart deal.

The VK has some decent cleans if that is important to you. Listen to some of the Blues clips on youtube or page 1 of VK thread to get an idea? Is it a Fender or a Classic 30? No. But can a Fender or Classic 30 do thrash, stoner/doom, 'tallica and other metal?

Also, Peavey's are known for having poor speakers. I would not suggest a Vintage 30. You will need an OD pedal tho right out of gate.