So in my music history class, we are currently studying early 1900's era Jazz, and a lot of the topics involve African-American involvement in it. Well, we talked about the song, "Strange Fruit," performed by Billie Holliday. It was inspired by the lynching of African-Americans in the early 1900's. And it explicitly depicts two bodies of black men hanging from a tree.

So on to the point.... I just looked it up on Wikipedia just because I was curious, and they actually showed the photograph, and I am really freaked out. I mean, there were two guys, just hanging there dead, and everyone else is just walking by as if nothing has happened.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
The one with the guy pointing at one of them?

Edit: Just looked it up, it's the one I'm thinking of.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Last edited by Zero-Hartman at Oct 22, 2008,
I didn't study the picture long enough to see if someone was pointing at them, I just got the Hell away when I saw the picture.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Survivalism
Well, at least they weren't white guys. That would be murder.

I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Survivalism

Sigged...
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
Yeah, it was a very racist time in America, a lot of people decided to be ****holes.
Have you ever heard of Emmitt Till?
He was a black kid who took a vacation down to the South, where he whistled at a white woman. The womans family found him, kidnapped him, tortured him, killed him, and tied a gin fan around his neck and threw him in a river.

America used to be a real douchebag of a place with racism and all.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

welcome to pre 1970's America
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
Quote by Spartan070sarge
So in my music history class, we are currently studying early 1900's era Jazz, and a lot of the topics involve African-American involvement in it. Well, we talked about the song, "Strange Fruit," performed by Billie Holliday. It was inspired by the lynching of African-Americans in the early 1900's. And it explicitly depicts two bodies of black men hanging from a tree.

So on to the point.... I just looked it up on Wikipedia just because I was curious, and they actually showed the photograph, and I am really freaked out. I mean, there were two guys, just hanging there dead, and everyone else is just walking by as if nothing has happened.

Welcome to the storied history of the South.

Actually, the Springfield, IL race riot/lynchings of 1908 were the impetus for the formation of the NAACP, so I shouldn't really be one to talk.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Survivalism

Thread winner.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Quote by Survivalism

sir, you just made my day.
Yea, just have never seen such photos before, of, well, dead people.

It really shocked me. It's not really the fact that they are black, just that they are dead and stuff.

Quote by John Frusciante
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by Trefellin
Link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Fruit

It's not that horrific...

Unless you're black, I guess.

it's really not that horrific at all

the whole racism thing is always just blown out of proportion
those were different times, and you can't change them
get over it

the jews aren't always crying about the holocaust and blaming the germans for their problems
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Quote by cheez1492

get over it

the jews aren't always crying about the holocaust and blaming the germans for their problems

OH MY GOD YOU'RE A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE PERSON GO DIE

On a lighter note, Billie Holiday sounds a lot hotter than she actually is.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
So would Emmit Till be considered the first african american deep sea diver?
Quote by cheez1492

get over it

... says the Texan

On topic, I listened to that song in History one year... that song is downright creepy! (in a hauntingly beautiful sort of way)
That's the South for you, bunch of assholes. Well, back then they were anyway, most of them now are ok, but you still get the psychos down there.

When they formed the Confederacy, we should have just let them go...
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway