Heya. I'm thinking about a MIM Fender strat. I really like the feel of a MIM, but I never liked it's stock pickups. Anyway, I was thinking of buying a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's and popping them in. I wanted to know from anyone here who has them though, would they suit my style and the type of songs I play(For a general idea, check my regular UG profile. Sorry about that ones half-assed ness btw)?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Ive been thinking of these ones too! I have had them recommended by a friend, and he says that they are great. About the MIM stock pickups, are you getting that strange overtone when notes on different strings bleed together? (I am, and its driving me crazy)
Well, I don't actually own one. I'm planning to buy one.

But yeah, that was one of the main tings that made me want to switch them out when I tried it in-store.

@Alski; Well, once you get them in, could you record a demo of how they sound?

@Iceman; Eh, I'm not looking to order them online, plus I don't have the cash for a set of $80 pickups. ><

Alnico II Pros are very bland. They're low-output, and tonally vapid - they don't 'colour' your tone with extra highs, mids or lows like other pickusp do. They are simply the most balanced low-output pickups around.

If you have a great amp you're happy with, then they're a good choice since they let the true tone of the amp shine through. If any part of your gear is below-par though, then those flaws will show up more obviously, because the Alnico II Pros won't cover anything up, it's the pure natural tone all the way (even if that pure natural tone is rubbish!)

The single coil ones are a bit nicer than the more common humbucker version, but both are basically the same deal. They're not really a good choice unless you know your amp's pure tone is what you want. The majority of people would be better off with a different type of pickup (i.e. one that does have more of an effect on tone).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Alnico II Pros are very bland. They're low-output, and tonally vapid - they don't 'colour' your tone with extra highs, mids or lows like other pickusp do. They are simply the most balanced low-output pickups around.

If you have a great amp you're happy with, then they're a good choice since they let the true tone of the amp shine through. If any part of your gear is below-par though, then those flaws will show up more obviously, because the Alnico II Pros won't cover anything up, it's the pure natural tone all the way (even if that pure natural tone is rubbish!)

The single coil ones are a bit nicer than the more common humbucker version, but both are basically the same deal. They're not really a good choice unless you know your amp's pure tone is what you want. The majority of people would be better off with a different type of pickup (i.e. one that does have more of an effect on tone).

Hmm...well, considering my amp then, I'd best stay away from those.

Alright, how about a set of Seymour Duncan SSL-1's? Or a set of Fender Tex Mex pickups?

SSL-1's are fine, though I'm not sure I'd recommend a whole set - but that could just be me, I like to have a mix of pickups rather than the same one in every position. Anyway, I've heard an SSL-1 in the neck position and sounded 'fine'. Can't speak for middle and bridge positions.

The Fender Tex Mexs are definitely great, an ex of mine used to have them in her Strat. My only issue with those was the bridge pickup was sub-par when played with a clean tone, but so long as there was at least a little crunch, everything was good. The combined pickups (selector positions 2 and 4) were also a bit boring, but it was no big deal - they didn't sound bad, just nothing special in those combined positions.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Shall I recommend a SD Cool-Rail?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Hmm...well, generally I play even clean songs with a slight overdrive, so I suppose the Tex Mex's it is. Their the Cheapest too.

Thanks for all the advice Fibble. =3

Edit; @Snake; Eh, I tried a used strat somebody put a set into, didn't really like the tone. Felt like an ugly midground between a single-coil and a humbucker, and not the pretty midground P-90's have. >< They sounded good for heavy gain nu-metal and stuff like that, but I don't play much of that, so their not for me.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 23, 2008,
Probably wouldn't fit a strat well. I've got one in the bridge of my Les Paul and I love it. The tone really shines through. Someone else nailed it in a post earlier
Gibson.
It's not worth you wasting your money on pickups at all with the Frontman you have - you'd be far better off spending your money on a better amp. For the price of a set of pickups you could get a decent cheap modeller like a Microcube or a small Vox Valvetronix, save up a bit more and you could get one of the low wattage tube amps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's not worth you wasting your money on pickups at all with the Frontman you have - you'd be far better off spending your money on a better amp. For the price of a set of pickups you could get a decent cheap modeller like a Microcube or a small Vox Valvetronix, save up a bit more and you could get one of the low wattage tube amps.

+1 and the Peavey Vypyr is another cheap modeller you need to check out.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
+1 and the Peavey Vypyr is another cheap modeller you need to check out.

Oh yeah, keep forgetting about them because they're so new.

A set of 3 Duncan single coils is going to be $195, for that kind of money you could get any of these...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480260
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com