so, ive been planning on buying myself some kind of small recorder for xmas, mostly to do ideas on my own, but id also like to be able to record a band (not necessarily the best quality ever) if i ever needed to.

i was looking at some different tascams, because ive heard they are somewhat easier to operate. but ive also heard good things about fostex and boss.

price range...500 or less, but thats somewhat negotiable.
By the time you add microphones, the price will be prohibitive...are you sure you want to go this way? You could get an omnidirectional or two matched pair microphones and a USB interface and call it a day.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Yeah, you'd be probably better advised to go with a computer setup. They're easier to get more for the money. Is there any reason you don't want to go with that?
There is poetry in despair.
Can't go wrong with the Boss Micro BR. It's easy and very intuitive, but the mic on it is a bit crap. Get yourself a SM58, not SM58Beta (they're crap), a mic stand and some cables and you should be able to record some stuff of decent quality for about £250- £300.

If you're looking into getting some band demos done, it might be worth investing in some cheapish Drum Mics - you can a case of decent, not great, ones for about £100 in most Music Shops.

Helpful? =D
The BR is a nice little unit, but it does have its limitations.
Quote by fridge_raider
The BR is a nice little unit, but it does have its limitations.

He said some home recording and maybe a little bit of band recording, so I'm assuming he doesn't want to be dragging equipment everywhere. The BR is perfect for this

Besides, if he really wanted top notch demos, he would get them professionally recorded.
Quote by gallagher2006
Can't go wrong with the Boss Micro BR. It's easy and very intuitive, but the mic on it is a bit crap. Get yourself a SM58, not SM58Beta (they're crap), a mic stand and some cables and you should be able to record some stuff of decent quality for about £250- £300.

If you're looking into getting some band demos done, it might be worth investing in some cheapish Drum Mics - you can a case of decent, not great, ones for about £100 in most Music Shops.

Helpful? =D

I have a Micro BR and an SM58 but the SM58 is just way too soft for me. Is there any way I can make it louder without a preamp? And I sing very loudly.
Quote by Time Seller
I have a Micro BR and an SM58 but the SM58 is just way too soft for me. Is there any way I can make it louder without a preamp? And I sing very loudly.

Hm...that's strange. You can just boost the volume in a mixing program, if it's strictly for recording. Actually, I'm pretty sure you can increase in the input volume on the BR, I'm not sure how to do it (I changed mine over for a Zoom H4 about a month ago you see)

You might want to invest in a condenser mic in that case. It'll pick up your voice better and even the quieter moments.

I've never heard of a 58 being too soft before...it might just be the actual mic has got something wrong with it :S
What about looking into a BR-600? or something along those lines? It would be easy to transport and easy to setup. Tascam and Fostex both make similar products in a similar price range. With the price these run, you could get a mic (or maybe two) and cables and still be with in the price range. Also consider getting more memory for what ever you decide on. It sucks to run out of memeory and be halfway through the perfect take you know?

-Ryan
do you want to record the whole band live? I'd suggest the Stealth Plug for guitar to usb input for home recording and the tone port for vocals. I'd just use fake drums as badly recorded drums can have the most harm to your song, sounds amateur.
Quote by gallagher2006
Hm...that's strange. You can just boost the volume in a mixing program, if it's strictly for recording. Actually, I'm pretty sure you can increase in the input volume on the BR, I'm not sure how to do it (I changed mine over for a Zoom H4 about a month ago you see)

You might want to invest in a condenser mic in that case. It'll pick up your voice better and even the quieter moments.

I've never heard of a 58 being too soft before...it might just be the actual mic has got something wrong with it :S

I asked a couple of people and they say it'll work better with a pre-amp. I dunno, I'm getting pretty low levels even when I'm playing through my Toneport. Any ideas why?

I've tried putting the input volume to the loudest possible btw.
Quote by Time Seller
I asked a couple of people and they say it'll work better with a pre-amp. I dunno, I'm getting pretty low levels even when I'm playing through my Toneport. Any ideas why?

I've tried putting the input volume to the loudest possible btw.

Everything's set at a decent level, yeah? Even the toneport? How is it without the toneport?

Sounds like you've got a broken mic mate. I've never come across a SM58 giving a reduced level recording before.
Quote by gallagher2006

The 57 and 58 are actually both pretty well known for requiring quite a lot of gain from a preamp. I wouldn't really suggest them for use with a Micro BR, as the input doesn't have enough gain to power them properly.

You also can't use a condenser with the BR as it doesn't have phantom power. Check your info before recommending, as it could lead someone to purchase a useless product.
Quote by fridge_raider
The 57 and 58 are actually both pretty well known for requiring quite a lot of gain from a preamp. I wouldn't really suggest them for use with a Micro BR, as the input doesn't have enough gain to power them properly.

You also can't use a condenser with the BR as it doesn't have phantom power. Check your info before recommending, as it could lead someone to purchase a useless product.

It is possible to use a condensor mic without using the phantom power. Behringer, I believe, make ones that work fine with the BR
Fair one, one that runs from battery power could indeed be used. These aren't common though, and Behringer are hardly known for their quality mics. Which toneport are you using ?

Is it the UX1 or 2? Or the GX. Because I would have thought the preamps on the UX would have been able to properly power a 58. However, I haven't used them personally, so I don't know how good the preamps are.
Well, unless I am mistaken, the GX doesn't have an intergrated mic preamp, just a line level input that will accept a mic. This will make it hard for you to use a 58 with your interface, seeing as a 57 and 58 both require a lot of gain to function well.

You could either buy a new interface, sell the old one, or you could buy a mic preamp to put between your mic and interface. Other than that, there's no real solution for it.
Yep, there's no mic preamp, that's the problem. I've managed to record vocals once though, by tweaking to the highest level input, throwing in just enough gain before it started breaking up, and increasing the volume afterwards using mp3 Gain. Tedious, though.

Ah. I just bought the Toneport. I knew I should have gone with a UX1.
Well, maybe it was for the budget, I don't know what budget you had.

I'm just not a big fan of the Toneports in general. They seem gimmicky, and have a slower USB 1.1 connection, as opposed to 2.0.
A low one.

There don't seem to be any latency problems though. The only thing bad thing about it is that the presets are pretty crappy (those that comes with Gearbox). Took me a lot of tweaking to get good ones.
Hi,

I have the same problem

I'd suggest buying the Line6 Toneport GX....Its a great recording system you can record just you or your band with!

And its only around about £37!