A forum for the more advanced musicians, like the ones that know how to read music notation and know what the hell a D#msus4b5 chord is, and how to write it on the fly. Also a forum for more advanced composers, cuz im tired of n00bs in the riff and recording section posting dragonforce rip-offs.
sup, my name is abe
You could also just chat with a few of the regulars. Start a group. With the UG Profiles, it is easier than ever to get something like that going. You don't need to beg the Mods and Admins to put something like that in.

Besides, how do you plan on keeping n00bs like myself out of a forum like that? These forums are viewable by everyone, not just the people who have created profiles. Even people who are just casually viewing the site can look into any thread on the site. A UG Group would actually be much more suited to what you want, anyway.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
hahaha I'm sorry.... but I find it kind of ironic that you are complaining about "n00bs" and you are an October 08'er
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by abluesman100
A forum for the more advanced musicians, like the ones that know how to read music notation and know what the hell a D#msus4b5 chord is, and how to write it on the fly. Also a forum for more advanced composers, cuz im tired of n00bs in the riff and recording section posting dragonforce rip-offs.

D#msus4b5

D#, G#, A

The minor notation is useless because you're substituting the 3rd with the 4th

I'm not an advanced musician, but It'd be nice to read other people's compositions and talk about advanced stuff.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
haha, you theory nazis amuse me. I know some theory and can read sheet music, but i don't look down upon other guitarists of they can't explain the degrees in the dorian mode or read simple sheet music.
Quote by SilverDark
D#msus4b5

D#, G#, A

The minor notation is useless because you're substituting the 3rd with the 4th

Snipe.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by Slovak_Ghost
hahaha I'm sorry.... but I find it kind of ironic that you are complaining about "n00bs" and you are an October 08'er

Im not talking about forum n00bs, im talking about music n00bs.
Since when does your music career start when you join this forum?
sup, my name is abe
Quote by Echoplex
haha, you theory nazis amuse me. I know some theory and can read sheet music, but i don't look down upon other guitarists of they can't explain the degrees in the dorian mode or read simple sheet music.

theory nazis? Its all about who can play the fastest, or who can play Through the fire and flames the best with you music notation illiterates right?
sup, my name is abe
Quote by abluesman100

If a guitarist better than Petrucci signed up on this forum, he would still be looked down upon because of a recent join date. That is a law of the internets
Quote by Slovak_Ghost

Since when does being new to a forum make you a music noob?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
Quote by abluesman100
theory nazis? Its all about who can play the fastest, or who can play Through the fire and flames the best with you music notation illiterates right?

First: I am sure that I find through the fire and the flames asnoisy and irritating as you do.

Second: I know a lot of theory from being able to play both piano and guitar, as some concepts are easier to understand on one instrument than the other.

Third: you know nothing about me, so why do you assume i am "notation illiterate" when i am merely against your attitude toward less-knowledgable members of this site and your self-proclaimed superiority
Last edited by Echoplex at Oct 23, 2008,
Quote by abluesman100

I'm just saying.... you have been at this site for less than a month and you are already trashing it
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
I'm a theory guy and I don't discriminate against others (n00bs isn't a good term). I've only studied guitar for almost 8 years, but I've got a good ear and pretty good theory skills.

That said, there are a HELL of a lot of guitarists (and instrumentalists in general) who are a HELL of a lot better than I, and many other advanced students, and they don't read any music or know any theory.

I'd recommend a group on the site if you WANT to be an exclusive, but the chord you mentioned was probably not a good display of your theory skills. The suspension cancels out the minor, and all that leaves is the D# G# and A nat, which is more of a G#flat9 (nothird, no seventh) than a D#whateverthe****youcalledit... and honestly that's a shitty, uncommon, dissonant, and not very functional chord.

Remember where you came from, and that most people start down there too. And maybe dive back into your theory book.
^ +1!!!

Why do you insist on calling people n00bs becuase they don't know what you know.

I am a noob and proud of it. I am at a stage of my guitar where I am learning so much and enjoying every little bit of it. I study as much theory as possible, I practice practice and practice!!

I don't care how fast I am, I don't play dragonforce, I play what I feel like. I love to improv with new theory that I may have learned that day. I can talk intelligently about theory to a point, some stuff is still well over my head but I am trying to grasp it all, it is exciting!!

Instead of being a prick about "how much you know and how good you are" how about you help out others that are just starting out, point them in the right direction have an influence on their musical abilities. Show them that it's not about playing super fast, it's about playing what you feel, playing with emotion and an important part of that is knowing your theory and knowing how to express it.

Grow up man, be thankful that you can play, and help out others that can't.
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
The purpose of such a forum would be purely elitist, and I thought MT was for helping people, not showing off your extreme theory skillz.
Expression is the most important factor in guitar. Technique is next, theory is not essential to the creation of great music but it definately makes it easier to understand structure and solos and therefore compose.
Reading music and building chords are advanced? Those are just the foundations of theory.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Quote by abluesman100
liek da mt forum?

What you described was what MT was meant to be before people started spamming about gear, picks, bands, arm injuries and popular movements. We tried to start a group for composers (where the emphasis was put on writting music rather than who could afford the best recording gear or could play most accuratly), but there were so few of us joining that it died.
Now a days, I've found more intelligent musical conversations on 4chan (which I'm banned of ) than on UG.

Reading music and building chords are advanced? Those are just the foundations of theory.
So, wanna talk about part writing and counterpoint?
Quote by demonofthenight

Now a days, I've found more intelligent musical conversations on 4chan (which I'm banned of ) than on UG.

So, wanna talk about part writing and counterpoint?

Lucky.

And yes. Let's get a counterpoint discussion thread going. I remember there was one, but it was more of a lesson tryout.
Quote by one vision
Lucky.

And yes. Let's get a counterpoint discussion thread going. I remember there was one, but it was more of a lesson tryout.
Done, and I havent had a good fap for weeks. Also, jb irl isnt that good, I need 4chans jb. I still go to high school
Quote by KFKing

Plus a bunch to that.