for as long as i can remember, i've always thought it would be cool to become a pilot. my uncle has a pilot's license and a personal plane, and a ride in that is probably what got me started.

during high school i thought of joining the air force, but i learned i was too tall and too heavy to fly the latest fighter jets so i decided not to join. i decided that i'd just go to college the traditional way to pursue a degree in linguistics.

but last week i started thinking things over, and i don't know what's keeping me from pursuing my dream to be a pilot. the idea of flying choppers with air-med or coast guard rescue teams is exciting, and i feel its a very attainable goal.

my question is this: does anyone know of any way outside of the military to take flight courses? i don't know what colleges might offer courses, and i'd hate to have to pay a fortune to learn. thanks!
There are non military flight schools.

You don't have to go to the Air Force
Most colleges have flying clubs through which you can get your pilots license.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I would venture to say that getting a commercial pilots license would be rather expensive if you decide to do it without the military training you. They just don't hand out pieces of paper that will get you a 6 figure job. But if it is what you have wanted to do for so long, there's no better time than now to get started on it. How far into college are you now if you don't mind me asking?
i actually am looking into the National Guard to fly the Apaches, but i'm not yet sure about the military route.
Quote by dudius
for as long as i can remember, i've always thought it would be cool to become a pilot. my uncle has a pilot's license and a personal plane, and a ride in that is probably what got me started.

during high school i thought of joining the air force, but i learned i was too tall and too heavy to fly the latest fighter jets so i decided not to join. i decided that i'd just go to college the traditional way to pursue a degree in linguistics.

but last week i started thinking things over, and i don't know what's keeping me from pursuing my dream to be a pilot. the idea of flying choppers with air-med or coast guard rescue teams is exciting, and i feel its a very attainable goal.

my question is this: does anyone know of any way outside of the military to take flight courses? i don't know what colleges might offer courses, and i'd hate to have to pay a fortune to learn. thanks!

If your muslim, arab, or indian, you might as well forget about it, its impossible.
sup, my name is abe
Quote by abluesman100
If your muslim, arab, or indian, you might as well forget about it, its impossible.

that's not even funny, you get an F for comedic value.
There is no cheap way to get a commercial pilots license. Period. Flight time will cost you ~$75 an hour for single engine trainers to upwards of $400 for your multi time. You wont get turbine time in a flight school, it's simply too expensive.

It is impossible to get a commercial pilots license if you only have military flight time. The FAA changed the laws many years ago. You now need to complete a commercial flight school after leaving the military. Also - the GI Bill doesn't cover most flight schools.

Now, here's the stuff the flight schools don't tell you in the beginning. Depending on which school you attend (part 61 or part 141 - anyone serious about a career in flying will go the part 141 route) you will graduate with roughly 250 flight hours, however you are not hirable because of insurance regulations. Insurance companies demand that you have 1500 hours in the air to be insurable and most companies prefer 2500+ before they'll look at you seriously. This is where the military flight time pays off. Especially if you have turbine time logged.

So, how do you get those hours you ask? You flight instruct, usually for the school you got your degree from. Flight instructing if a less than glamorous job. You will be paid between $10 - $15 an hour. But wait...it get's worse...you only get paid for the time your students spend in the air, and, advanced students aside, you will spend roughly an hour on the ground with the student for every hour they spend in the air which means you are really making $5 - $8 an hour. You wont have many advanced students as the dropout / failure rate in flight school is extreme. Pilots are born not made. You have to seriously want it to make it.

Expect to spend 2 years on your associates degree, then another 2 - 4 years instructing (depending on how many students you have). You can work on your bachelors while you are instructing.

Even after all that is done, you still wont be making good money at your first job. Most pilots start out in the $35,000 - $45,000 salary range. Most companies give you quarterly fuel bonuses but you will still be a long way from that six figure salary. Not to mention you've got to pay back the $50,000 - $75,000 you've racked up in student loans. You will be poor for a long time.

If you are still reading and aren't deterred i'll list a couple of schools for you to check out:

Flight Safety in Florida
Spartan School of Aeronautics in Oklahoma
University of North Dakota

Other schools offer flight programs but they are second rate compared to the schools listed. If you're going to invest the time and money you might as well get a degree from a school that is recognized industry wide.
Quote by abluesman100

arabs are muslim, indians are muslim, muslims are indian and arab.
Quote by Tw8xy

idc, they are both brown
sup, my name is abe
Quote by Tw8xy

Indians are Hindu, I believe.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by Vagabond21
Wait.... you aren't a member of Al-Qaeda right?

i am an al-Qaeda member
sup, my name is abe
Quote by abluesman100
idc, they are both brown

Voice of a generation.
Quote by gorecore=me
is a bidet a type of crisp?
Quote by BlackicN
There are non military flight schools.

You don't have to go to the Air Force

No, you just need a hell of a lot of money. Training for ATPL costs best part of £100k when I looked into it. That's the reason I decided to kick that ambition into touch and be an air traffic controller... Although I got rejected at the interview Gotta wait a year to reapply.

Indians are Hindu, I believe.

There are more Christians in India than anything else, I believe. Also, Sikhs are Indian, I believe. And so on and so forth... There is everything there, the same as most other places really.
i dont really know but i hope u get there, it seem to somthing ur really passionate about. good luck man
You need physics degree and other relevant qualifications to be taken seriously as a commercial pilot.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
I wanted to be a pilot for a long time. After I graduated high school I went to take my FAA medical exam and found out that I can't become a pilot because I had depression for 3 months when I was 15 years old.

......sucks I know
Quote by urbanfox
There are more Christians in India than anything else, I believe. Also, Sikhs are Indian, I believe. And so on and so forth... There is everything there, the same as most other places really.

I see
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Yeah, I was in my city's flying club, but that was domestic. All you need really are the hours. Once you have that and apply, then you can go through the heli's. It all depends on the lisence type. I was going to go for my domestic pilot lisence but it's just so expensive, so I'm going to hold it off.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by Liam.
You need physics degree and other relevant qualifications to be taken seriously as a commercial pilot.

I know lots of professional/commercial pilots. None of them have a degree in physics. Of course I don't take any of them seriously either....................
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
I know lots of professional/commercial pilots. None of them have a degree in physics. Of course I don't take any of them seriously either....................

First thing I ask when I board a plane - 'Does the captain have a degree in physics?'. If its a 'No', then I get my ass off and wait for a pilot with better qualifications.
Quote by urbanfox
First thing I ask when I board a plane - 'Does the captain have a degree in physics?'. If its a 'No', then I get my ass off and wait for a pilot with better qualifications.

First thing I ask is "What kind of beer do you have?" If the answer is none I get off.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
First thing I ask is "What kind of beer do you have?" If the answer is none I get off.

Slightly related funny story:

On a flight a year or two back, when it came time to bring the shopping cart along there was an announcement saying they aren't allowed to sell any spirits. Bloke sat the other side of the aisle to me asked why they aren't selling spirits, the flight attendant replied 'They're all up on the flight deck'.
And I thought they made more money than this: What are pilots earning today?

As of this writing. The median annual income of all commercial pilots in the United States is $43,300. The top 10% of earners earned over than $92,000 while the lowest 10% made less than $24,000.

Pilots’ salaries vary widely depending on the type of aircraft, the number of miles and hours flown, and whether or not the pilot works for a major airline. Salaries for airline pilots are among the highest in the country.

The average annual income of airline pilots is $110,940, and over 25% of those airline pilots earned over $145,000. The lowest 10% of airline pilots made less than $36,110. Senior pilots are among the top earners in the US.

In addition to traditional monetary income, airline pilots also earn a "per diem" or expense allowance for every hour that they spend away from their base city. This per diem can be upwards of $500 per month. Also, pilots and members of their immediate families enjoy the benefits of free or significantly reduced air travel and hotel rates.
Source: http://www.rlrouse.com/airline-pilot.html
it depends what kind of license you want, if you have a private license, some airline companies will get you your commercial license
Quote by GitfiddleNinjer
There is no cheap way to get a commercial pilots license. Period. Flight time will cost you ~$75 an hour for single engine trainers to upwards of $400 for your multi time. You wont get turbine time in a flight school, it's simply too expensive.

It is impossible to get a commercial pilots license if you only have military flight time. The FAA changed the laws many years ago. You now need to complete a commercial flight school after leaving the military. Also - the GI Bill doesn't cover most flight schools.

Now, here's the stuff the flight schools don't tell you in the beginning. Depending on which school you attend (part 61 or part 141 - anyone serious about a career in flying will go the part 141 route) you will graduate with roughly 250 flight hours, however you are not hirable because of insurance regulations. Insurance companies demand that you have 1500 hours in the air to be insurable and most companies prefer 2500+ before they'll look at you seriously. This is where the military flight time pays off. Especially if you have turbine time logged.

So, how do you get those hours you ask? You flight instruct, usually for the school you got your degree from. Flight instructing if a less than glamorous job. You will be paid between $10 - $15 an hour. But wait...it get's worse...you only get paid for the time your students spend in the air, and, advanced students aside, you will spend roughly an hour on the ground with the student for every hour they spend in the air which means you are really making $5 - $8 an hour. You wont have many advanced students as the dropout / failure rate in flight school is extreme. Pilots are born not made. You have to seriously want it to make it.

Expect to spend 2 years on your associates degree, then another 2 - 4 years instructing (depending on how many students you have). You can work on your bachelors while you are instructing.

Even after all that is done, you still wont be making good money at your first job. Most pilots start out in the $35,000 - $45,000 salary range. Most companies give you quarterly fuel bonuses but you will still be a long way from that six figure salary. Not to mention you've got to pay back the $50,000 - $75,000 you've racked up in student loans. You will be poor for a long time.

If you are still reading and aren't deterred i'll list a couple of schools for you to check out:

Flight Safety in Florida
Spartan School of Aeronautics in Oklahoma
University of North Dakota

Other schools offer flight programs but they are second rate compared to the schools listed. If you're going to invest the time and money you might as well get a degree from a school that is recognized industry wide.

yeah, sounds like the Military would be ideal for starters....
Quote by Masamune
I wanted to be a pilot for a long time. After I graduated high school I went to take my FAA medical exam and found out that I can't become a pilot because I had depression for 3 months when I was 15 years old.

......sucks I know

oh, that could be a problem for me......but i'm a firm believer in "don't ask, don't tell
I've already decided i'm joining the NZAF (New Zealand Air-Force) and i'm going to get my chopper and fixed winged aircraft licenses, then when i leave the Air Force you get a big pay out
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
It's ridiculously expensive outside of the military, but there's no height/weight restriction for helicopter pilot as far as I know. A family friend of mine is about 6"6' and pretty well built and he's becoming a helicopter pilot.

Quote by dudius
yeah, sounds like the Military would be ideal for starters....

oh, that could be a problem for me......but i'm a firm believer in "don't ask, don't tell

Trust me, they'll ask.
Last edited by fretsonfire74 at Oct 25, 2008,
Quote by fretsonfire74
It's ridiculously expensive outside of the military, but there's no height/weight restriction for helicopter pilot as far as I know. A family friend of mine is about 6"6' and pretty well built and he's becoming a helicopter pilot.

Trust me, they'll ask.

yeah, my height isn't the problem but even if i lost a bunch of weight, my skeletal frame is too large for the cockpit of the latest jets.

and about "they'll ask", i was afraid someone would say that, though nowadays who hasn't had depression? all the cool kids are doing it!
The airforce doesnt have a height restriction or weight restriction

i thought this as i wanted to join also

but its limb length.
Quote by jdmusic
The airforce doesnt have a height restriction or weight restriction

i thought this as i wanted to join also

but its limb length.

well, when i was looking into it during high school, the recruiter told me i had to lose 20 lbs before they'd even talk to me, so i'm thinking they have some weight restriction (according to height, of course). and as far as i know, the AF is the only branch that asks about weight because i also talked to an Army recruiter.