In my Music Theory class we have to bring in a song that uses sequence and a song that uses motif for homework.

I'm choosing the beginning of JSB's Italian concerto in F Major for sequence.

and I'm choosing the beginning of Metallica's Master of Puppets for motif.

Thank you.

Edit: A backup for rhythmic sequence I have is She-wolf by Megadeth.

A Backup for Motif I have is the the Switch between Chorus in Black Widow by Children of Bodom.
Patrick Star of The Jelly fishing Club PM darkstar2644 to Join
Last edited by KFKing at Oct 22, 2008,
Quote by KFKing
and I'm choosing the beginning of Metallica's Master of Puppets for motif

Assuming you mean the chromatic intro thing, I would never have thought of using that as an example of motif. I guess it varies on the teacher that you have whether you can legitimately pass it off as an example. My theory prof is 35 and he listens to Rush, Tool and Radiohead so I think I could get it past him. If your teacher is strictly classical/old fashioned then I wouldn't try using MoP as an example.
Quote by pwrmax
Assuming you mean the chromatic intro thing, I would never have thought of using that as an example of motif. I guess it varies on the teacher that you have whether you can legitimately pass it off as an example. My theory prof is 35 and he listens to Rush, Tool and Radiohead so I think I could get it past him. If your teacher is strictly classical/old fashioned then I wouldn't try using MoP as an example.

Ah, I believe he was encouraging us to find it in rock music.
I was going to suggest Beethoven's 5th symphony. Probably the most obvious rhythmic motif. DA DA DA DUM.

But if it's rock music, just try to find something rhythmic as well. I think it'll be the easiest. I assume rock musicians don't put as much thought into composition as a classical musician. But then again assuming makes an ass out of me blah blah blaaah.
Quote by one vision
I was going to suggest Beethoven's 5th symphony. Probably the most obvious rhythmic motif. DA DA DA DUM.

But if it's rock music, just try to find something rhythmic as well. I think it'll be the easiest. I assume rock musicians don't put as much thought into composition as a classical musician. But then again assuming makes an ass out of me blah blah blaaah.

I can't use that because I don't have a cd of it nor is it on my MP3 Player, plus that was the major example of it he gave in class.

I highly doubt Metallica said, "hey lets make a song and use this motif in the intro!" as well. But I'm sure they unconsciously made a motif because they've heard motifs in music for so long that they know how to use them.

BEETHOVEN
Last edited by KFKing at Oct 23, 2008,
How is the chromatic lick in MOP a motif? A motif is a phrase you alter slightly or upon which you expand in a song. A perfect example would be all the different ways the "James Bond" theme can be played; just listen to it in the movies.
^ i was actually going to suggest 46&2 - Tool as the motif uses time sig changes throughout to make variances on the original musical statement.
"Little Fugue in G Minor" - Bach

Motiff up your ass!
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
My book states that a Motif is "a short melodic and/or rhythmic figure that recurs throughout a composition or a section as a unifying element."

It also states melodic motifs are "repeated pitch patterns. They usually recur with the same or similar rhythmic patterns"

I thought the triple power chord parts in the begging of master of puppets would be a motif based on the fact that it recurs for the beginning section of the song with the same rhythmic and pitch pattern.

Are you guys saying that it's not a motif since the parts in between the triple power chords are the same?
Last edited by KFKing at Oct 23, 2008,
If I had to use MoP as an example, I'd use the riff that goes E F Cb E F C E F C#. Throughout the song there's always a recurrence of minor 2nd's, diminished 5th's and chromatic runs and that riff has it all.
Quote by pwrmax
If I had to use MoP as an example, I'd use the riff that goes E F Cb E F C E F C#. Throughout the song there's always a recurrence of minor 2nd's, diminished 5th's and chromatic runs and that riff has it all.

I'll just bring in House of the Rising Sun and use it as an example of rhythmic motif, but was what I suggested in MoP a motif?
Dream Theater's album Scenes From A Memory is covered in motifs from the song Metropolis.
Call me Batman.
Quote by KFKing
but was what I suggested in MoP a motif?
Not really. I can't come up with a reason right now, but it's just not. I'll, of course, post my reasoning should I be able to verbalize it; for now it just "feels wrong."
Quote by one vision
Surprise your teacher with your knowledge of leimotifs in addition to that stuff. Pretty much in any movie, like star wars, when they have darth vader themes, it's all like DUN DUN DUN dun DUN DUN dun DUN dun. You know?

he gave that as an example too.

I've been thinking of doing the theme from the good the bad and the ugly.
Last edited by KFKing at Oct 24, 2008,
the Tommy album (the Who) has a lot of motifs.

Just as probably any Rush instrumental/'epic' song.

The Bolero comes to mind as well when talking about motif.
Last edited by Belgian Bastard at Oct 25, 2008,