I'm making a solid state stereo amplfier (5 watts) for my electronics class in school.

Thing is, it's distorting the iPod I play through it.

I don't have a schem right now... it uses two 2907 transistors and two 2222 transistors for each channel, left and right, as well as two 4004 diodes for each channel. The rest is resistors, caps, and pots.

I don't know if any of that is useful, I'll post a schem when I find my camera.

Any of you guys know why my SS amp is distorting?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Every amp I've played my Ipod over has distorted at a much lower level then it would with a guitar. Whether this is because I've just been using bad amps, or because guitar amps really arent all that useful for things other then guitars I couldn't tell you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"

It's a stereo amp that I just built, nothing to do with guitars. I just thought you guys might know.

I'm wondering why a solid state that isn't designed to distort is doing it anyway.

No one else's in my class does .
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by vinyl_countdown
turn the volume down on the ipod and try that

might be too much going into the input

this.

I have a tape deck converter for my truck that I plug my ipod into, and if I put it up to full volume it's too gainy, but if i turn down my ipod and turn up the volume, it's clear.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by Øttər

It's a stereo amp that I just built, nothing to do with guitars. I just thought you guys might know.

I'm wondering why a solid state that isn't designed to distort is doing it anyway.

No one else's in my class does .

There's a difference between the waveform distorting and peaking. If it's peaking then it just means that it's too loud to handle.
Quote by Invader Jim
Like I said: Volume. Somehow the preamp is being OD'd.

this is it. if you turn the ipod down a lot, and instead turn up the amp volume, it will sound much cleaner. It's just like if you're using a terrible effects board with each patch turned all the way up. if you try turning the patch down, and boosting the amp alot, it's almost like you have more headroom or something, sound natural and cleaner.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
To much signal will cause distortion. In distortion pedals its what you aim for you overdrive the signal to the point it clips and creates distortion. You need to turn down the ipod or create a way to drop the signal before it hits the transistors. A voltage divider works many times.
These guys are probably right, but what speaker type do you have? If you just have a mini-sub it MIGHT be speaker distortion. (But the guys above me are probably right).
Your pushing the base of the transistor way to hard. It's being pushed to saturation I believe therefor causing it to distort. (Probably nasty non-musical distortion I imagine).

You need to design stages with more headroom that can handle your input signal. A little 2N2222 wont cut it. Maybe one voltage gain stage then a big power stage.
Quote by Øttər
I'm making a solid state stereo amplfier (5 watts) for my electronics class in school.

Thing is, it's distorting the iPod I play through it.

I don't have a schem right now... it uses two 2907 transistors and two 2222 transistors for each channel, left and right, as well as two 4004 diodes for each channel. The rest is resistors, caps, and pots.

I don't know if any of that is useful, I'll post a schem when I find my camera.

Any of you guys know why my SS amp is distorting?
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.

<_<

>_>

<_<

a few possible causes for distortion:

1 - the input signal is too big
2 - the transistors are biased too close to cutoff or saturation.
3 - push-pull design with no overlap. crossover distortion.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
turn the volume down on the ipod and up on the amp. i do this when i play my ipod through my micro cube and it works fine.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking