I'm wondering if the 4 strings on a standard bass guitar suffice to create complex chord melodies, or if this is more of the guitar's job. I did some experimenting on the 4 lower strings of my guitar and the chord configurations weren't very pleasing. 6 string's neck width sounds like a pain in the ass, but 5 string fails to carry the benefits of its upper and lower counterparts; doesn't have the thin neck of a 4-string yet doesn't have the 6th, crucial string of the 6-string. Essentially with a 6-string you'd have baritone chords playing in the standard positions you'd play on an electric guitar.

Note: Eventually I'd like to have a project in which the focal instrument is the 7-string guitar. So maybe a 5-string guitar would be good to accompany it... I'm really confused here. Perhaps I should just start with a 4-string and move up if necessary...
Last edited by G.9 at Oct 23, 2008,
If you want a lower sound you could get a baritone guitar, a sort of compromise. It lacks the lowest end of the bass, but it has the playability of guitar.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
It can be done. Sometimes I do it but I always play them as root-position triads. It would be a little harder with 4 strings but still possible.
Quote by pwrmax
It can be done. Sometimes I do it but I always play them as root-position triads. It would be a little harder with 4 strings but still possible.

Well, for something as simple as an A minor chord (on guitar) the position is drastically different on a 4-string bass guitar... I'm not sure which is harder, the thick neck of a 6-string bass, or the inconsistent chord positions on a 4-string bass. Keep in mind that I am composing with a 7-string electric guitar in mind.

Quote by EdgedInBlue
If you want a lower sound you could get a baritone guitar, a sort of compromise. It lacks the lowest end of the bass, but it has the playability of guitar.

Read edit on 7-string.
It certainly is possible. The main reason chords aren't played on a bass the most of the time is simply because, well, it doesn't sound too good. The tone gets really muddy, but if you can do it, all the power to you.
Well I wouldn't be strumming the chords as you do naturally on a guitar, but doing distinct arpeggios.
I do chordal stuff with my band. You're usually stuck with the A, D, and G string as the E gets a bit muddy. I usually stick around 12th fret or higher as well. You can do a lot of cool stuff though. I'm buying a 5 string next and tuning it EADGC to open some more doors.